Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a discontinued 405. Anyone know what other revolver frame is the same size for holster fit? No one seems to make a IWB holster for the 405.

thanks

·
32,759 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

According to Taurus International Manufacturing Inc (I typed 405 in the search box at the top of the Taurus USA site's page) it is built on the small frame.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Anyone know what the ballistics are like with a 40 coming out of a 2 inch barrel?

·
Registered
35 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 405 I believe is the same as the 450 and 455 which fit either the K-frame Smith holsters or holsters for the Ruger Security sixes. My 455 fitsd my holster for the K-frame Smith.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
The 405 is a much larger gun than the model 85. Attached is a pic comparing the two, and a pic showing the perfect fit in my holster for a S&W K/L frame revolvers. Note the different size of the cylinders. My 405 won't begin to fit any any of my holsters that I use for my 85 Taurus or my J frame S&Ws.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/images/styles/CinemaIce/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/images/styles/CinemaIce/attach/jpg.gif
I totally agree, my 405 is definitely larger than my 605.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Welcome to TA from the Steel City.

Should fit a S&W K or L frame holster, or if you find a holster made for a larger bore Tracker series you should be able to work with that as a base. The 405 is built on the Tracker frame, so if you look for replacement grips you'll be looking for that instead of a small or large frame Taurus revolver as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Montkun...have been trying to figure out what grip will fit my 405. Just got it last week and my first Taurus gun and also my first revolver!

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I own the 85, 405, and 605 models. Although the 405 is no where near the size of a 44 mag snubbie, it is larger than both the 85 and 605. I agree with the others that have mentioned using a holster fitted for the S&W L frame. At any rate, be sure to let us know what you settle on.

Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've been trying to get a 405 for a decent price for about a month now. GunBroker is about the only place I've seen them available, but I've been trying to avoid the high prices due to the 405 being discontinued. I stop bidding once they hit $330 or so.

Well, after a month, I finally gave up my desire to get the stainless to match my other snubbies and decided a blued one would do. So I started looking for one of those and I found that Bud's Gun Shop had ONE in stock for $280 with free shipping, so I snagged it as fast as I could type! I had to pay ten or twelve bucks to pay with a card, but even with that, I think I got an excellent deal!

So as soon as I can get them my local FFL copy, I'll be bringing her home. Finally. :) I bought it to complement my Beretta 96D in .40S&W.

As for the size, isn't it built on the same frame as the 617 7-shot .357-Magnum? I have one of those and the specs seemed to match it fairly closely.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
And just ordered the better moon clips from TK Custom to replace the flimsy ones that come with the Tauruses. (I also have the Taurus 905 9mm revolver, so I knew I wanted to replace the moon clips with these!)

·
Registered
524 Posts
They dropped the 405????
I remember when these just came out like what, a year ago?
Why does everyone scream for auto caliber revolvers but then they come out and no one buys them....

All the gun boards were abuzz about the Charter Arms .40 revolver and again no one buys them. I want a 405 but I'm not paying a premium for one now...I got the M380 instead of the 405, couldn't afford both at the time.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well, whichever one you want, I recommend you look for one fast before they get too expensive. If nobody's buying, they stop making. Sucks, but what can they do? I didn't even know they were making the the 9mm and .40 until they weren't any more. My guess is that the M380 will be next to get the axe. I got my 905 and 405 now, but I'm undecided on the 380.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts