Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Keep them concealed folks, we don't need the exposure.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Keep them concealed folks, we don't need the exposure.
If a person wants to OC more power to them; if they want to CC more power to them.

I have no right to tell someone else what to do. It's their decision.

·
Super Moderator
20,113 Posts
I look upon any opening up of carry options as good. Leave it up to the citizen as to how they wish to exercise their 2A rights. In Ga we can CC or OC, our choice, so don't have to worry about the accidental flash or printing to someone.

·
Registered
30,023 Posts
Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
I would love to have the option in Florida. Glad Mississippi made the change.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Welcome to the club, Mississippi, but I thought y'all were already members of the club.

Hey, represent well, don't be sportin' no dirty weapons, and remember to holster those hawg legs in leather and not that unnatural kydex!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Primarily, I conceal carry, but I do open carry whenever I'm outside doing chores and yard work here at home or down at my Dad's house.

However, I don't see myself open carrying into the public domain until such a time as law enforcement personnel are acclimated to people doing so, and will allow them to go merrily about their own way. Even then, I doubt that I'll openly carry very often.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am with most others, I would only OC in rural areas. In cities and burbs, I would only CC. I just would not want to advertise to a BG that I am carrying. If they decide to try anything, they would know who they should neutralize first. I would rather be unassuming and mild mannered looking so I could see the look on a perp's face when I draw on him and blow his head off. On the original topic, Grats MS. Texas had the bill on the books this year, but it did not pass. Should have attached it to the accidental printing bill like your legislature did.

·
Super Moderator
20,113 Posts
Wow. Just, Wow. Looks like all sorts of folks confused but they didn't say nuttin' till the 11th hour! I particularly like the quote by the bill's sponsor saying "I never thought I'd live to see a lawsuit filed to say that the Constitution is unconstitutional, which is basically what they're saying," Gipson told The Associated Press after the judge's ruling. Seems that all our congresscritters inside the 395 beltway have forgotten what the Constitution is all about too!

And, then there's the old one which has bee requoted and will probably be so until the end of time; you know, the one calling for a blood running red in the streets "The plaintiffs are trying to stop mayhem. We're looking at a wild, wild West scenario," Owens said.

This one has been yelled so often, I'm a little surprised its still used. ESPECIALLY SINCE IT HAS NEVER BEEN BORNE OUT IN ANY POST LEGAL CARRY EDICT ANYWHERE THAT CARRY HAS BEEN "LEGALIZED".

Anyway, herre's hoping you get them straightened out fellow TAers and resident Mississipians!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Wow. Just, Wow. Looks like all sorts of folks confused but they didn't say nuttin' till the 11th hour! I particularly like the quote by the bill's sponsor saying "I never thought I'd live to see a lawsuit filed to say that the Constitution is unconstitutional, which is basically what they're saying," Gipson told The Associated Press after the judge's ruling. Seems that all our congresscritters inside the 395 beltway have forgotten what the Constitution is all about too!

And, then there's the old one which has bee requoted and will probably be so until the end of time; you know, the one calling for a blood running red in the streets "The plaintiffs are trying to stop mayhem. We're looking at a wild, wild West scenario," Owens said.

This one has been yelled so often, I'm a little surprised its still used. ESPECIALLY SINCE IT HAS NEVER BEEN BORNE OUT IN ANY POST LEGAL CARRY EDICT ANYWHERE THAT CARRY HAS BEEN "LEGALIZED".

Anyway, herre's hoping you get them straightened out fellow TAers and resident Mississipians!
The same argument was presented here in Texas when CC was being considered.

I'm still waiting for that bloodbath to begin.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
.......I would rather be unassuming and mild mannered looking so I could see the look on a perp's face when I draw on him and blow his head off......
Yeah. That's the kind of comment that democratic gun grabbers would just love to read! I would like to think that comment was just sort of a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.
That's just what we need; more bloodthirsty comments! :icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Super Moderator
20,113 Posts
The same argument was presented here in Texas when CC was being considered.

I'm still waiting for that bloodbath to begin.
Hell, that argument has been made EVERYWHERE where some type of carry provisions have been made. And study after study have been done (at taxpayers expense, I might add) and it has NEVER been borne out in the findings! That is the point I was making. In fact, EVERY study that has been done on violent crime has found LESS violent crime where arming of the citizens (carry laws passed) was involved. Thats why I am so surprised to see it still used as a rallying cry in opposition to carry law provisions!!!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
15,015 Posts
I am with most others, I would only OC in rural areas. In cities and burbs, I would only CC. I just would not want to advertise to a BG that I am carrying. If they decide to try anything, they would know who they should neutralize first. I would rather be unassuming and mild mannered looking so I could see the look on a perp's face when I draw on him and blow his head off. On the original topic, Grats MS. Texas had the bill on the books this year, but it did not pass. Should have attached it to the accidental printing bill like your legislature did.
You make the very common assumption that a BG will shoot anyone armed first. While this is a possibility, real world encounters do not support this supposition.

In fact, real world encounters show that BG's avoid the armed person and will even cancel their planned crime when they see a gun.

On the website, OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum , you will find folks that regularly OC and also ones that have done the research and can tell you exactly how many times your assumption has occurred.

So, OC has the advantage of preventing the crime by causing the BG to shy away from you and pick an easier target.

CC has the advantage of not scaring the masses.

More OC will also condition the masses to not get scared when the see a good guy with a gun which is another good thing for gun rights in general.

Either way, I will not fault the OC crowd. I CC more than I OC but that is because of my job.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This “new” open carry law in Mississippi is nothing reallynew. Open carry has been legal and guaranteed by the Mississippi StateConstitution since 1890. It’s been a long standing option for Mississippianswho are not felons. The practice fell out of favor but never became illegal.Then a number of years ago the CCW law was passed and people could carryconcealed if they got the permit to do so. Then just a few years ago CCWholders could take a certified course and get an ‘Enhanced’ CCW that allowsthem to carry most places that used to be off limits, like a courthouse,educational facility, restaurant where alcohol is served, parks, etc. etc. Thisnew law reiterates the existing law and goes a step further to protect CCWholders. It seems there have beeninstances when a CCW holder let their concealed weapon show when they bentover, or the wind blew, or the shirt came up reaching for the wallet and acitizen would freak and holler “Gun!”. When an overzealous LEO would respondthe CCW holder would be charged with “brandishing” just because their weaponshowed while in public. There was a belief that a concealed weapon must beconcealed at all times unless there was a legitimate emergency. Well….. This new law helps to protect me andany other law abiding CCW holder from being accused of “brandishing” justbecause their concealed weapon shows. It is still not legal to twirl your gunin public or flash it around. But people like me can carry more comfortablyknowing that if their gun becomes exposed in public it’s no big deal. Now some businesses are going to post “NOweapons” signs but they will simply lose business. Besides if the weapon isconcealed it won’t be an issue anyway. And if the weapon does show in said businessit’s not illegal. They can just ask you to leave……… And as far as that stupidjudge in Hinds county who “blocked” the law, well he’s just a dumb ass whooverstepped his bounds and he will be over ruled and voted out of office. Thefool is trying to say that the Constitution of Mississippi is unconstitutional.What a dip wad. So the new law is really nothing new. It’s a clarification.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts