Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I got a PT111 9mm for Christmas, I went shooting yesterday and had an issue when my friend shot it, it misfed every other round. I shot 2 mags though it and it misfed a couple of times. My bother-in-law said that because the mags where new the spring was forcing the rounds into the chamber to fast.

Administrator
Hi All,

I got a PT111 9mm for Christmas, I went shooting yesterday and had an issue when my friend shot it, it misfed every other round. I shot 2 mags though it and it misfed a couple of times. My bother-in-law said that because the mags where new the spring was forcing the rounds into the chamber to fast.
That and possibly a little limp writing?

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

Registered
Did the mis feeds occur when using a single box of ammo, or various boxes of ammo?

Most malfunctions at the start of the feed stroke are magazine related, possibly the feed lips of the magazine. If the feed lips are poorly manufactured, have been abused or modified the cartridge will not feed properly. A feed problem in the middle of the cycle could be ammunition related, also check the slide for burrs, or machine marks on the breach face or breach face sidewall. The joint between the feed ramp and the chamber called the camover edge can be a problem if the edge is too sharp. This will dig into the side of the cartridge. If the gun fails to fully close the chambered round may not be fully sized down or the chamber may be dirty.

Registered
Did you clean it up before heading for the range?? could have gunk in it jamming things up...

Registered
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine".

The PT111 is my favorite CC piece and has been 100% reliable since day one.

As has been said, they require a good cleaning right out of the box, "before" any range time.

Compact 9mm's are the sports cars of the gun world, and as such demand strict adherence to the basics of gun handling to operate reliably.

The most common "Fo-Pah" is limp wristing.

You must maintain a firm grip to give enough resistance for the slide to resiprocate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,
I had not cleaned the gun it was brand new, also 90% of the jams where when my friend was firing. being it was her second time shooting could be "limp wristing". I was shooting the same ammo it was PCM FMJ. So far I love the PT111 and my brother in law just got a PT145 for his CC gun.

Banned
Hello from Piqua Ohio. I have never had a problem with mine, and I agree that one of the most common problems is a limp wrist.

Registered
I have had a PT 111 for about two months now. I had quite a few FTE the first time out (even though I thought I got all the gunk out). This problem seems to have solved itself for me, as I have not had any problems the last 5 or so times to the range, and after about 300 rounds. I think my grip was not as firm initially as st should have been. What ammunition are you using? I use Federal 115gr fmj from Walmart. My gun seems to like that.

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
I had not cleaned the gun it was brand new...
Respectfully, this is most likely the culprit.

Glad you like your new PT111!

I have one in duo tone and am a real fan of the little pistol.

Registered
I loved the 111 when i shot it on multiple occasions, not a single problem with it except that we ran out of ammo far faster than i wanted to. I would grab some gun scrubber and get all the gunk out that gun. Even if it is new, remember that they come packed in grease for overseas journeys. They aren't made in Miami, just repaired there. Most store will give it a quick once over for handling on display, but they won't be clearing firing pin channels and lower internals because the gun doesn't get shot before it's sold.

Registered
One of these days I need to buy a PT111 so I can shoot lower cost 9MM ammo.

Registered
Found some of that white grease in the new PT111 Millenium Pro I got and thoroughly cleaned them out and relubricated before first firing it. Hundreds of rounds (various kinds, including teflon jacket lead round nose reload range rounds available locally) so far without problems. Nice subcompact pistol overall. I find it to be very accurate despite its short barrel length.

The various preservants that Taurus uses for shipping are infamous. :)

Before the gun is taken to the range to be fired it has to be cleaned, but then I am restating what the others already have.

I learned this the hard way a goodly number of years back with several revolvers that I got in a hurry (new gun frenzy I guess :) )
and went and shot a few rounds. I could not figure out why the revolver cylinder and action were not operating smoothly or efficiently.

After discovering the problem and some elbow grease the revolvers shot well and functioned just fine.

Things went from :icon_cussing: to :yipee::yipee: .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts