Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I was at the range happily putting holes through a reverse B-17 bad guy at 10 yards or so with my PT92C when the darndest thing happen. I was in the middle of a 15 round mag full of WWB when I pulled the trigger and felt a burst of hot air/dust on my face and conurrently heard a wierd "fffff" sound. I looked on top where the spent cartridge should eject, and saw the spent case still lined up with the bore and the slide was back. It appeared that the slide hadn't come fully forward and the round wasn't properly seated. However, it was hard to tell.

Anybody seen this before?

If so, do you have any input on a possible cause?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey starcity07!

After the round fired, did the slide cycle fully to the rear?

If not, it sounds like a lite load of powder to me???

That sound is a little familiar from when I re-loaded my own ammo and didn't get a full charge of powder!

When this happens, don't fire another round!!!

Open and clear ALL rounds form the gun and check to make sure there isn't a bullet stuck in the bore!

I have seen a guy, just clear the casing and fire again, during competition . . . with a bullet in the barrel!
It blew up and luckily he wasn't injured, but damage was done to his expensive match gun!

If it happens again, please check the gun carefully, to make sure the bullet's path is clear!

Later, Hlaser

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Not sure I understand what happend exactly, but it can either be what hlaser said (squib) if the sound of the gunshot wasn't as laud; or it could be just a failure to extract...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks hlaser and Gray_Wolf. The first thing I did was wait 10 seconds, then check the bore (through the case side) for any obstruction.

The oddest part is that I could feel the backfire on my face. It makes me think that the slide was somehow partially open when the round fired - is that possible?

·
Registered
17 Posts
What did the spent cartridge look like? Did the case rupture or was it deformed? I didn't think the 92 series pistols could fire out of battery unless there was something wrong with the firing pin block or trigger bar(disconnect). Beats me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yeah I would check for a case rapture as well, unless you were shooting from the hip, or keep the gun very close to your face you shouldn't get any 'hot air/dust' with a 9mm. Still not sure if I understand what happened; if the gun didn't fire than I don't see how you could get the hot air in the face, and if the gun did fire and the bullet left the barrel than there must've been a bang to go with it...hmmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts