Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went thru a menu at school yesterday. By todays standards the menu was horrid. Little things like Chicken Drummies, $6.95. What's the problem you ask? Are they fried, covered in flour or cornmeal, how many in an order, hot, mild, what? Spelling such as Mozzarella Styx. Are they trying to tell me if I eat them I'm going to ride the River Styx? Cause I would rather not.

A Cajun Catfish (2 fillets sautéed in Cajun spices or can be ordered lemon peppered) but wait...won't it stop being Cajun the minute you substitued lemon pepper?? Plus the number of dishes they had with the various options for the dishes made for a tough time for servers and cooks (who have to memorize the menu) as well as the customers who have to struggle thru the menu. The menu was a twisted mix of various areas as well.

So our assignment? Come up with our own menu featuring an ethnic group. Well I'm Russian German Jewish, we believe. With a healthy dose of a few other countries close to those. That's just on my dads side. Add in Mums side and we add Brit, Irish, Scot, Welsh and so on.

Then I was raised sort of city/hillbilly/redneck. And yes, the Chef/Instructor said that redneck/hillbilly could be an ethnic group if done correctly.

Also have to stay true to seasons so nothing such as trout in the winter even tho today we can do such a thing.

So what do I pick?

Sarge

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Go with Croatian (you probably have some in that Eastern European mix). Just not enough Croatian restaurants in America. (Lots in Croatia, though...Wonder why?...)

And if you can choose an ethnic group other than your own, you should definitely go Indonesian and see how many varities of deep-fried dog, pickled pooches, curry canines and marinated mutts you can devise.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Go with Salmon. If anyone says anything about out of season tell them that the Steelhead are just starting to run up in Michigan.

·
10,379 Posts
I agree completely with you on the menus. I hate (hate,HATE) those "cutsie" menus. I hate hearing grown adults speak baby talk gibberish when they order their food. "Rooti tooti fresh and fruity" springs almost immediately to mind, no thanks, I'll have pancakes with fresh fruit please.

Now for an easy menu, Irish:
Boiled potatoes
Potato soup
Soda bread
Corned beef and cabbage
Stout
Beer
Whiskey

<g>

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Reactions: Sarge

·
17,585 Posts
No, Styx as in the band...

You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
How can you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me
How can there be such a sinister plan
That could hide such a lamb, such a caring young man

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
How can you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me
How can there be such a sinister plan
That could hide such a lamb, such a caring young man
Domo arigato!!

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Personally I'd prefer a Japanese Italian menu like they serve at Luigi Sakamano's.

Stir Fry Won Ton Pizza.

Sweet and Sour Osa Buco....yummm! :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree completely with you on the menus. I hate (hate,HATE) those "cutsie" menus. I hate hearing grown adults speak baby talk gibberish when they order their food. "Rooti tooti fresh and fruity" springs almost immediately to mind, no thanks, I'll have pancakes with fresh fruit please.

Now for an easy menu, Irish:
Boiled potatoes
Potato soup
Soda bread
Corned beef and cabbage
Stout
Beer
Whiskey

<g>
Except corned beef and cabbage isn't really an Irish dish. *grin* The rest sounds good.

Liking the sound of Croat. Altho I'm also thinking hillbilly. *grin*

Sarge

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that's what I said but the Chef knew the owners of the place (closed years ago) and they were NOT rock fans. Classical was as modern as they got music wise.

·
13,540 Posts
If you've not yet made up your mind, Sarge, then you just aren't pondering fast enough.

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go with Croatian (you probably have some in that Eastern European mix). Just not enough Croatian restaurants in America. (Lots in Croatia, though...Wonder why?...)

And if you can choose an ethnic group other than your own, you should definitely go Indonesian and see how many varities of deep-fried dog, pickled pooches, curry canines and marinated mutts you can devise.
I thought about Croat and may still go that way. But Croat food is a lot of "loaner" foods from other cultures. In one way Croat is a new country (something like 2003 or so). But I most likely do have family from the area as Yugoslavian food was in our often made foods.

Currently three top runners are Russian, Yugoslavian/Croat/Slovene and hillbilly. But hillbilly will most likely lose out due simply to it being different depending on where in the US you are. But I do fondly remember dandelion salads with hot bacon dressing, hamburgers made from beef, game and veal and things like wild asparagus. Therein lies the other problems of course. Wild, non-regulated foods are a no-no in restaurants. Jewish flits in and out of the list as well. A fast perusal of a Jewish menu showed a lot of foods my family made.

Sarge

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you've not yet made up your mind, Sarge, then you just aren't pondering fast enough.

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!
*grin* Mexican was considered but are a dime a dozen here.

Sarge

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Easy answer.....Italian....preferably something spicy from Sicily.....

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
If healthy is not a concern you could go with a breaded porkchop (or veal) ala wiener schnitzel with potato pancake (latke) on the side. If frying is not a good option they both could be done in the oven. Veggie side I would pick creamed spinach.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Redneck/Hillbilly.
One Word:

"ROADKILL"
You can't grill it 'til you kill it. Eatin's more fun when your food's on the run!

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
13,540 Posts
Or go "Native American".
Buffalo livers, pemmican, jerky...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts