Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed on several other gun forums.
There seems to be a market for a 2/3 size CIA-type revolver in cal .32 ACP. The gun would need to be actually scaled as a 5 shot .32 acp, rather than the current frame size. Stainless and alloy. A .22lr version could also be offered. The current carry market is dominated by small automatics, but there really isn't a small revolver offered, other than the single action "mini revolvers." Some manufacturer is going to offer a gun of this ilk eventually, and Taurus could pull it off well.
Seems like a lot of people would buy this gun for no other reason than it would be cute. Others would buy it as a simple, small gun to give to their loved ones, and others would simply carry it-as a primary or backup gun.
What think ye, Taurus fans?
Bill

·
32,647 Posts
Interesting concept, but might be hard to pulll off. Taurus would need a lot of encouragement to go with that.

Engineering problems crop up already.

Rimless cartridges, of which the .32ACP is one, need something to headspace on. That isn't there with just the pistol cartridge in the chamber of a revolver. Moonclips or something like what S&W engineered for the 547 revolvers would have to be done to have the proper headspacing and case extraction take place. Difficult to do at best.

Then there's the loss of some gasses, however minor,from the sides of the cylinder.
this being a slow cartridge, to begin with, would loose some energy pushing behind the bullet.
Nagant revolvers, introduced by the Belgians(you read that right. They came up with the design and manufacture before the Russkies), had the cylinder move up to the frame prior to the round going off to seal off any possible escaping gasses. This over complicated the revolver.

There's a lot to overcome if it could be done
.32 caliber revolvers of rimfire and centerfire origin have fallen by the wayside and into disuse.There are also other .32 caliber pistol rounds that have been passed by and will staythat way.

The .32H&R magnum started out very promisingly and is kept alive only by a minority of handgunners and SASS Cowboy action shooters.

The .32 magnum is a great cartridge but the fickle public hasn't taken it to heart in any large quantity.

This is an intriguing idea, but very likely will not be adopted by anybody.

It would be great if there were such a thing. Just probably won't happen for the reasons stated above.

Taurus has just so much manufacturing capacity. They're claiming that it's taken up by other products already.
There are many engineering hurdles to overcome. Making a small reliable pistol is a tall order, but has been done. Physics and mechanical problems being what they are could very well be the death knell of such an idea this being a revolver.

It's been tried before.
Granted technology has changed dramatically. Can't completely rule it out.

The more efficient,less pressure,gun powders might just make it work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The .32 acp is not rimless, it is semi-rimmed. No moon clips would be necessary. Guns of this type and caliber were made around the year 1900, so making one today poses no technological problems.
Any revolver loses gasses from the cylinder gap. This is nothing new. There would be no more need to use the Nagant system than in any revolver.
.32 acp is a common cartiridge that has been in use for over a century. It has not fallen out of favor, nor will it any time soon.
There is a larger market for a small pocket revolver in this caliber than any time in US history. The .32 H&R magnum is too long to use in a gun like this.
I'm sure Taurus, or any other manufacturer, would jump on this concept if they thought it would sell.
Bill

·
32,647 Posts
I didn't say the .32ACP is a thing of the past. There are more than enough guns out there and owners to prove that. I was stating that some .32s have had some problems in the past. Not necessarily of their own making. The public went with the .32 calibers for awhile and then ditched them for the most part. Overseas is a different story.

Are there other semi rimmed cartridge successful revolvers out there?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
North American Arms was developing a single action 5 shot 32 mag for a while but ended up shelving the design before it was done. You can read about it in the owners blog-thing.
http://www.naaminis.com/soaparc.html
From the pics I don't think I'd have been interested in it, way too likely to snag on a draw from a pocket.

The mini-CIA idea is neat but I doubt we'll ever see it from a major manufacturer but we might from a small one (with the associated high price).

Steelheart

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm very aware of the ill-fated NAA monstrosity. It was as big as the small framed .38 specials. The trend in the US has been to make guns bigger. The small framed revolvers made today have been lengthened to take .357 magnums. The next trend is to make them smaller.
Bill

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
What ever happened to the little Casull Arms revolver with the fold-up trigger? It was called the CA2000, and was listed in.22 lr and .32. (.32 "what" wasn't specified)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the Casull ever really made it to production. There were a few of the .22s around, but I never heard of the .32.
Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a bobbed Mdl.37 S&W 38spl.+P. It fits most front pockets. It fits dress pants back pockets. How much smaller do you need? If all you had on was a swim suit you can still use a Belly Band or Thunder Ware. When I ware my Carpenter Jeans (99% of the time) I can carry at the least 2 of them and reloads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave
Apparently, you have never held a small gun! What works for you does not necessarily work for others. I can't comfortably carry a "J" frame in my pocket, and if I could, a smaller gun would certainly be easier to carry.
Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
Verry true everyone is different. I shot my big mouth off befor thinking again. I must admit, in the 40s and 50s they did have some cool looking little 32s. I have a bunch of old wall hangers. One is called a Defender, it looks like a NAA 22 mag. It's a little larger and is a 32 rimmfire. Another one I have is a small Revolver in 32, it is at least one third smaller than a Five shot snub. I must admit again, if they made somthing like this today I would probobly by them. A mini CIA sounds better now that I think about it. Thanks for the kik in the pants. Have a good one. :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drummin man
Thanks for the link, but nothing like I propose has been made recently enough that I would trust it. Nice site, as I love obscure guns!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts