Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this holster or the maker. It came HIGHLY recommended and I'm looking at getting one.

http://www.miltsparks.com/
(look at Products > IWB > Summer Special 2)

apparently this guy is so good there's a 4 month waiting list.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't have the Summer special but I have a similar holster by Sparks called the #1 Heritage. It is made for my Smith 686 revolver. I absolutely love this holster. It is the only IWB holster that I have found that is comfortable for me. The 686 is a large framed gun (L-frame) and weighs a ton. With the Sparks holster it is very comfortable.

Some pictures...

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I haven't used a SS2 but I've used other Sparks holsters (Watch-Six for a 1911 and a PMK for a 3" N frame). I was very happy with both of them and I do highly recommend the company.

IF you want it faster than 4 months you can try Lightning Arms Sports. I've dealt with them and the service is excellent. The PMK I had was shipped next day so I could use it on vacation. Liked the holster, didn't like the gun.
http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm
Just send them an email to see if they have anything in stock that would work for you. Yes, the prices are higher than direct from Sparks but they don't get much of a discount and they do buy in bulk. But you can have it NOW vs months down the road.

Steelheart

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Summer Special for my TomCat and like it very much. For my larger pieces, M&P9c, Ruger P95, and my PT111, I use their VMII. This is the most comfortable holster I have found yet.

Both are real quality pieces and I forget I'm wearing them.

Now I'm trying to decide which Sparks holster to get for my 650 CIA snubby

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
I've got a summer special I really like for my Ruger P90. Best, most comfortable way to carry a service sized gun IMHO. However, mine had one flaw I addressed. It's got this spring around the mouth of it that keeps it open so you can reholster. That's all fine and good, but the lip of the leather that covers that spring dug into my "love handles" and after a while was very irritating. I tried to bevel it, but didn't work. So, what I did was glue a piece of thin leather over it and that leather goes up to protect the gun from my skin, too, keeps the decocker from diggin' in. The gun is held so tight to the body (a good thing) that I find this leather desirable. Here's a pic of it with my gun to show the mods, click the link, think it's a large pic. I read something where they'd redesigned the holster and removed that leather spring cover or moved it inside or something, but last time I looked at their site, it looked the same.

That's my only criticism of the rig and I fixed that with the leather I glued to it. Now, it's the most all day comfy IWB I've ever tried and carries a big, powerful, accurate service caliber gun all day, never a bad thing. I don't carry IWB much anymore, but when I do, the P90 in this rig is nice.

http://www.imageigloo.com/images/4919PICT00371.JPG

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NativeTexan said:
I've got a summer special I really like for my Ruger P90. Best, most comfortable way to carry a service sized gun IMHO. However, mine had one flaw I addressed. It's got this spring around the mouth of it that keeps it open so you can reholster. That's all fine and good, but the lip of the leather that covers that spring dug into my "love handles" and after a while was very irritating. I tried to bevel it, but didn't work. So, what I did was glue a piece of thin leather over it and that leather goes up to protect the gun from my skin, too, keeps the decocker from diggin' in. The gun is held so tight to the body (a good thing) that I find this leather desirable. Here's a pic of it with my gun to show the mods, click the link, think it's a large pic. I read something where they'd redesigned the holster and removed that leather spring cover or moved it inside or something, but last time I looked at their site, it looked the same.

That's my only criticism of the rig and I fixed that with the leather I glued to it. Now, it's the most all day comfy IWB I've ever tried and carries a big, powerful, accurate service caliber gun all day, never a bad thing. I don't carry IWB much anymore, but when I do, the P90 in this rig is nice.

http://www.imageigloo.com/images/4919PICT00371.JPG
now see, that's what i'm talkin about. REAL american ingenuity.

that's the kind of info i'm looking for. thank you very much for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts