Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the MilPro sub forum, thought it might get a broader audience here. I had some trouble w/ my PT140 over the weekend, I could'nt get the slide off to break down and clean it. Well, I finally got it loose, and found a bunch of metal shavings. The bottom of the right frame rail had been shaved off by a sharp protrusion on the slide. After cleaning things up, and filing down the sharp edge, everything assembles and disassemles smoothly. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? It looks like something struck the under-side of the slide near the cut-out next to the safety lock, pushing up a point.

Is this normal wear?

Will this happen again?

Does my gun need to go back for repair?

Thanks for looking.

Kevin

·
Administrator
35,533 Posts
Man - I've never seen anything like that, and I'm pretty sure that metal shavings could not mean anything good. Maybe one of the moderators have an idea what this might be. What kind of ammo were you using? was the slide functioning normally, or were you experiencing alot of failure to fires - like stovepipes, submarined rounds, failure for the slide to go all the way back, or anything like that? I know you're wearing ear protection, but could you hear or even 'feel' any noise coming from the gun when you were firing it?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
22,058 Posts
kamac,

I am looking at my 24/7 LS and it appears to have the same sharpness you describe on your gun. Mine has hung up a little from time to time but with a little shifting back and forth it always releases. Looks to me if you smoothed the sharp point and it is going on and coming off easily you may have solved the problem. If you have any reliabilty issues at the range I recommend sending it in.

If mine which is really the same gun with longer action is doing the same thing it may be something Taurus needs to know about.

I plan to smooth the edge on mine and if I have any problems at the range I will post. Please do the same if you have any issues...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The metal shaving were from the bottom side of the right frame-rail. Where it normally would be a 90 deg angle is now more of a 45. I can't see anything that would cause that divot, so it must have been there, and not been an issue until the action had been cycled enough. The day I discovered this, I had put 300 rounds thru it (200 WWB .165 grain, 100 Atlanta Armory .180 grain), and only had a couple of times where it failed to feed the next round, because I had thumbed the mag loose. I have a total of 500 rounds thru the gun, and I really enjoy shooting it. Even my wife likes it, and says it is "hers". She shoots better than I do, anyway.

If this was just a rough spot from the factory, and the metal lost from the rail will not affect long-term operation / reliability, then I guess that I am ok. I will have a gunsmith take a look at it, just to be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts