Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has decided she wants a MilPro M138 to replace her Smith as her CCW. Anybody have any experiences to share about this model? Best ammo? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Todd,

I bought a Mil Pro PT138 last October and have about 500+- rounds through it. I have used Magtech and Remington FMJs. So far I have had two FTF (nose dives). Both failures occured during the end of my range time when the ramp was really dirty after shooting a box of Remington UMC FMJs. The UMCs are not the cleanest ammo but they are inexpensive. I have had no problems with Golden Sabers and Corbon DPX.

The rear sight on mine has a screw to adjust windage and it loosens up when you shoot it; so keep that in mind. I also put a Hogue "Hand-all Jr." slip-on grip on it to beef-up the grip.

Bottom line is, I like mine. Keep it clean and it won't give you any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! My wife has small hands, so the stock grips shouldn't be a problem. I appreciate the info.

Todd

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I've been thinking about one of these for my wife as well. I wish Taurus made something about the size of the Bersa 380.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well...It just so happens I have a Firestorm (Bersa) 380 as well as the PT138. They are about the same overall length but the PT138 conceals better in my opinion. The Bersa grip has "pointy" features; the spur that keeps your had away from the slide sticks out and the finger rest on the end of the magazine is more prominent than on the PTs'.

But the Bersa is a keeper too!

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
The Bersa is thinner though. My wife has small hands and I think it would fit better in her smaller than average purse.

·
32,615 Posts
Just for giggles. Have either of the wives tried to shoot a .38 Special? Manual of arms is easier and Rossi makes a 6 shooter or the 617 or 817 would work. There are 110 grain JHPs that are standard pressure and 148 grain wadcutters are easy on the shooters who are recoil sensitive. Bersa or Firestorm would fit the bill for carry. Since this is a woman's gun is the little lady trying out as many different types, makes ans models as possible? Some of the .380s recoil can be intimidating in the light weight models and even in the standard models. Have seen threads and magazine articles extolling the virtues of the .32 H&R magnum as a women's carry piece and cartridge.Or even the .32ACP. These have their merits and yes I realize that .32ACP bullets weigh less than .380ACPs which translates into possible penetration problems through thick clothing. .32 H&R magnum bullets are in the weight class of the .380ACP and .32H&R can shoot the lower velocity 32s for practice like .38 Specials can be shot in .357 magnums.Just off the top of the head ideas to consider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've had her out with my Smith model 60, the M85Ti, and my old Smith Model 32 snubbie. For some reason, she is biased againt revolvers. My thought was that the M32 would be perfect for her. The grip was the right size for her hands, low recoil, and she had quick follow up shots. I think what may have got her was the bite from the M85. She was shooting 158 grain lrn's, and I think that she was uncomfortable. Her CCW is a Colt Mustang .380, and she loves it. However, since it's single action, she isn't crazy about carrying it locked and cocked in her purse.

Thanks for the input, Qwicks Draw. I appreciate it.

Todd

·
32,615 Posts
Aha. ;D So she has experience with the .380ACP already and revolvers are out. There is the PT132 in .32ACP. Granted the 32 is not as good a cartridge as the.380ACP, but racking the slide would be easier and the recovery time between shots is shorter for the .32ACP.Lesser recoil impulse shot for shot. There have been some reports that the Bersa stings some people when fired.Not many. Could be many reasons for that, too. Sounds like the PT138 and the Bersa are what's left on the table. Nice final 2 to pick from. The daughter had a prejudice about revolvers and after purchasing two CZs, she is know considering the revolver again due to simplicity and DA pull is the same shot for shot. No transition from DA to SA. Luckily the PT138 has the soft, easy DAO. And many semi-autos are DAO or similar. So many choices, so little time. :D Remind her that the person who has the most toys wins. ;D :D :) :thumb: :clap: :yipee: :yipee:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No doubt! I'm going to talk her into going to Target World, and trying out several weapons. Now that you mention the .32ACP, I'll add it to the list. I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
MY wife chose the PT-138 after shooting my 24/7 (9mm), PT-111 (9mm), Model 650 (.38 special), S&W Model 10 (.38 special), and S&W 642 (.38 special) - 6 months later, it is still her carry piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where is everyone purchasing their PT 138 ? I've never seen one and I checked Davidson's and Lipsey's and they don't offer the PT 138. I have a couple of Bersa's in .380. Bought the new Bersa CC and that is really nice but I wouldn't mind handling that Pt 138.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse in San Antonio for our PT-138. I have seen them in several Saxet gunshows in town as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably either Town and Country in Hillsboro, Oh, or Target World in Sharonville, Ohio is where I'll go. Both places had them in stock, last time I checked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts