Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about recoil springs escaping out the front of some Mil Pros. I post this here (instead of Smithing), as it seems to be a Mil Pro problem and I don't offer a fix. My 3rd gen Mil Pros (PT145 and PT111) have not had this problem. So I was wondering how to check to see if it could happen on my pistols, as it would instantly render my carry weapon useless.

To inspect for this problem, I remove the mag and triple check that the chamber is empty before field stripping the gun. I remove the recoil spring assembly and the barrel from the slide. Using a Qtip I clean the inside of the tunnel at the front of the slide where the recoil spring rests, so I can inspect the inside rim of the tunnel. The inside rim should be concentric, unbeveled, and blemish free. I did not measure the rims, but the amount of inside rim looks sufficent and equal on both of my pistols. The outside rim if this tunnel should have a bevel to prevent damage to the button. The first front coil of the big recoil spring (under the polymer button) should be flat in front, not rounded. Neither have a washer by the way. I then insert the recoil spring assembly into the inside of the tunnel (without the barrel in place, since the barrel gets in the way of the check). There should be some friction resistance with the spring fitting snuggly into the tunnel. How snug? On my pistols I can hold the slide with the front end up (again, no barrel) and the inserted recoil spring assembly will not fall out due to gravity.

I then remove the recoil spring assembly and reassemble the gun normally.

Both of my Mil Pros pass this check so I think the chances of my having a recoil spring jam are zero.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The new spring with the washer is only around $6.00 from Taurus, maybe $11.00 after shipping. They got it to me in a couple days.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just ordered a recoil spring for my pt145 as my current one appears to be working (enlargeing, expanding) itself, soon to be larger than the Button. But still the Tunnel won't let it go anywhere( out the end of the slide).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called Taurus to order back up replacements (captive recoil spring assemblies). I figure that if I have a highly unlikely recoil spring failure (mine pass my impromptu testing), at least I will not have significant repair down time. The plastic guide buttons have been know to break, so I will be covered for that too. Also, recoil springs may eventually wear out with lots of shooting. The one for my PT145 ($7.00) is out of stock and on back order (I am not in urgent need). The one for my PT111 ($8.50) is in stock and on the way. I wish Taurus had an online parts ordering service (like Kahr). There seems to be a lot of opportunity for human error when ordering parts over the telephone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had this problem:

I mailed Taurus the old spring assembly and got a new one back, only had to pay for the shipping to them. They actually sent me two new springs for some reason. One had a washer and the other didn't. The included sheet had the same p/n for both springs (36100811) and the description was something like "enlarged diameter spring." I installed the one with the washer and that solved my problem. With the old spring I also had a problem where the slide wouldn't always close all the way. The new spring also fixed that.

The two new springs:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the photos with the washer. A picture says a thousand words. That washer looks like it would compensate for and over-sized slide hole. Like I said, I have not had a recoil spring failure on my 3rd gen PT145 or 3rd gen PT111, so I did not do a part exchange. By my impromptu testing, I doubt that the stock spring will ever fail. I ordered the replacement parts because they are affordable and have been know to eventually wear out on other pistol brands. In the highly unlikely possibility that one does fail, I will have a back up replacement. I will test the new springs for fit, but keep the stock springs in the guns. Probably being over cautious. I do not think I need ones with a washer, but we will see what I receive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I never had the failure with mine either. This is one of my carry guns, I did not want to find out it happened with someone trying to kill me. Range gun I might not care and just wait for it.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
WildRice said:
I called Taurus to order back up replacements (captive recoil spring assemblies). I figure that if I have a highly unlikely recoil spring failure (mine pass my impromptu testing), at least I will not have significant repair down time. The plastic guide buttons have been know to break, so I will be covered for that too. Also, recoil springs may eventually wear out with lots of shooting. The one for my PT145 ($7.00) is out of stock and on back order (I am not in urgent need). The one for my PT111 ($8.50) is in stock and on the way. I wish Taurus had an online parts ordering service (like Kahr). There seems to be a lot of opportunity for human error when ordering parts over the telephone.
i too wish they had an online parts order service

·
Registered
723 Posts
I ordered a new spring assemnly for my pt145 on 4-12. got it today in the mail it was the old style witout the washer cost 8.00$ PLUS 4.75 shipping part no.36100617 (notice it's a different no. than Ukarine Traine's but I dn't know what model mill. pro he has) also I must say I wasn't having any trouble with mine, just getting a spare.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said the recoil spring assembly has worked fine on both my PT111 and PT145, but I ordered spares. The one for the PT111 was in stock and I just fit it to my PT111. It is Item # 36100811 "RECOIL SPRING ASSY XTRA DIAM MOD P" $6.88 plus $4.75 shipping. The number and description have no relation to the pistol caliber and model, so I can see how wrong parts could get shipped. It has a washer under the palstic knob, whereas the original does not have a washer. It fits just like my stock one does (friction fit in the inside of the slide tunnel) and hand cycles just like stock.

They misspelled both my first and last name big time but fortunately got my address right and the part right. I hope that does not mess up the credit card billing as it will not match the name on my card. The PT145 part is out of stock and on back order. I really wish Taurus would have online parts ordering as there is too much chance for human error when ordering parts over the phone.

Now I have to decide which to use in my PT111. I think I will go with the stock recoil spring assembly and use the spare as back up. I doubt I will ever need it, but if i do, I won't have significant down time.

·
Administrator
35,506 Posts
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but can you purchase anywhere an aftermarket spring/guide rod/washer assembly that isn't plastic? I'd be interested in that, if somebody does indeed make one. I have the PT145 Pro 3rd gen.

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
If by chance you order one, I'd like to see pics and your thoughts. Those pictured on the site really look nice. And those prices, most folks can live with.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I ordered a metal guide rod assembly from Taurus for my PT-145. (It is from the 2Nd Gen.) It was like 9.75 with shipping. Will post once I get it to let you know how it works.

·
Administrator
35,506 Posts
Here was the reply to my inquiry:

Thank you for your interest in the stainless guide rods.
I can't make a rod for the PT145, this uses a dual captive
spring rod that I cannot do.
I can make a stainless copy for the model 24/7 but I would
need your factory rod shipped to me so that I could reuse
the recoil spring. I can usually have the new rod made the
day I receive the factory rod and shipped back out the following
day. The cost for a captive stainless rod is $35.00 and to
add checkering would be an additional $20.00 ($55.00 total)
This includes free priority USPS shipping.
If interested here's a link with my shipping info:
http://guiderod.com/specialorders.html
Thank you,
Steve

Bedair Machine Works
Steve Bedair

I'm toying with the idea of having them do my 24/7 Pro but I'm thinking about it......

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
Well, bummer on the PT145. :fart:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts