Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all first post so let me introduce myself. Name is Charlie and I came here looking for some information on the mil pro series, as I am looking for a new CCW gun

Let me start by saying I have owned several Taurus pistols in the past. all of which I sold some of which I regret
Model M44 44 mag
raging bull 44
raging bull 454 casull
gen 1 p145
model PT92

so I am no stranger to Taurus, but I do admit on everything listed but the PT92 I had less than 500 rounds each . On the PT92 I had in excess of 7500 rounds . I never experienced any issues with any of them . As stated I am now in the market for a new CCW and have narrowed it down to either a mil pro in 9mm ( P111) or preferably the P145. I came here hoping to get some good reviews, but the first page nd a half of the form seem to be a lot of issues.
mag issues
- mags fall out
-nose dives
FTF
- light strikes
not good customer service even one person stating a gen 3 p145 with a cracked frame.

I sold my P145 only due to the fact I did not like the DAO trigger pull, but as stated I never had any issue. One of my biggest concerns is it seem there are a lot of issues I really never knew about, and not I am concerned about buying, it really seems it is acceptable to buy a new gun then have to send it back to the factory and wait for it. Please tell me what I am missing here

thanks for any feedback
charlie

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum from North Texas! :wave: While some of the pistols have mechanical issueS, the vast majority work flawlessly. I have a PT140 and it runs like a song. Most of the mag drop issues trace back to thumbing the mag release button during recoil because the mag release spring bar is a bit light. Other mechanical issues relate to not properly cleaning the packing grease out of the gun and relubricating properly before shooting. This is also a major issue on other gun sites. We can all tell you things happen, but Taurus makes excellent firearms, so don't get discouraged. We're to help if you need us! :)

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
my 3rd gen pt111 went for a little over 1000 rounds error free before I traded it in. I still miss that gun somedays.

I would have no issue recommending it to any of my friends or family, as I feel it to be a very good ccw sized pistol.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky! I can tell you my PT145 has been an absolute perfect firearm. I have over 1500 rounds thru it without a single hiccup. I have carried it daily for the past 3 years

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank for the welcomes everyone. I truely understand all MFG's have issues. I have read issues on just about every gun form I have ever been on , but it just seemd like a lot of issues with this model . Like I stated I had a gen 1 p145 and did not have any issues , so I was suptrised when I came here and saw everything. I am still strongly considering a mil pro for my CCW, but I am also am liking the Ruger SR9C and SR40C . so I still have some research to do .

does anyone cary thier mil pro in a pocket holster ?? front pocket ?? if so what hoslter have you found that works well.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Since having my PT140MilPro mag release during firing fixed by Taurus (thumbing mag release during firing is nigh impossible), I've only run 150 rds. but with no problems whatsoever and a dream to shoot. I hope to get another 100 or so thru it very soon.

As to the holster - pocket carry in pants, slacks, jeans, loose, baggy or snug, just doesn't do it for my average frame (5'-10" - 175). I use a DeSantis Nemesis (N38BJE1Z0) for 709/740/PT140 and even with the 700's there is no or little doubt as to what's in your front pocket - MilPro way to bulky for me. Works great in jackets, vests, belly pocket hoodies - but those not worn very often in my part of Texas due to climate. I usually carry it IWB DeSantis "The Insider" or "Tuck This II".

Reactions: gajoe

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I have a mil pro 145 that I bought from a friend and have had zero issues except with tulammo. No bid deal. Unless you are 6'2 or taller and quite girthy, I think it is too big to pocket carry. Pick up the mil pro in 45 if that is what you want, you wont be disappointed. One of the best features of the latest generation is the second strike capability. If you hit a dud round that doesn't go bang, it reverts to DA mode to give you another shot at firing it. If it wont go off then, just rack it out and load a new round. I can't say I recall ever having to use that feature, but is definitely something that other striker fired weapons don't have.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Welcome from North Texas. I have both the PT111 and have several thousand rounds thru it with out any problems.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
thank for the welcomes everyone. I truely understand all MFG's have issues. I have read issues on just about every gun form I have ever been on , but it just seemd like a lot of issues with this model . Like I stated I had a gen 1 p145 and did not have any issues , so I was suptrised when I came here and saw everything. I am still strongly considering a mil pro for my CCW, but I am also am liking the Ruger SR9C and SR40C . so I still have some research to do .

does anyone cary thier mil pro in a pocket holster ?? front pocket ?? if so what hoslter have you found that works well.
I can pocket carry mine in a Bianchi 100/6. Holster works for me in front pocket of jeans or IWB.
Also, I'd point out the Gen3 PT111 is SA/DA - that is, your trigger is Single Action but you do have Double Action if you need a second strike. Gen 3 in 9mm are also 12+1 capacity - which I think is more than previous models.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
My 145MilPro is my daily carry piece. Over 3000 rounds of all kinds of ammo, and no problems attributed to the gun. I have the Gen 3 model with the SA/DA trigger. It's as accurate as I need for a carry piece. Not too bad to shoot at the range - that is, fairly easy on the hand. I have no experience with CS at Taurus - never needed it.

I stake my life and the lives of my family on the gun. I can't give it a higher testimony. I have a choice of a number of guns from several manufacturers, and choose to carry my PT145.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.:cool:

The PT111 & PT145's are my most oft toted CC semiautos. What sold me on this series (before I ever bought or fired one) was their ergonomics, design features, and esthetics. They fit my hand as if custom made for me. Each has surpassed the 3,000 round mark without a burp; 100% reliability.

To date, everyone who has ever test driven one of mine at the range, has bought one for themselves. The last gentlemen called his dealer via cell phone from the firing line and told him to "hold one" for him, he was on his way to pick it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lance,
this is what I thought. I am only 5'9" and 185 but I feel I would be able to do the pockets on slacks , but maybe not with Jeans. How much print do you get woth Jeans ??

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
thank for the welcomes everyone. I truly understand all MFG's have issues. I have read issues on just about every gun form I have ever been on , but it just seemd like a lot of issues with this model . Like I stated I had a gen 1 p145 and did not have any issues , so I was surprised when I came here and saw everything. I am still strongly considering a mil pro for my CCW, but I am also am liking the Ruger SR9C and SR40C . so I still have some research to do .

does anyone carry their mil pro in a pocket holster ?? front pocket ?? if so what holster have you found that works well.
There are indeed always issues with firearms. But by and large performance with the Mil Pros are good, not bad -- the posts in this thread attest to that. Also, listen to those who have shot the pistol a lot before making a conclusion. BTW, the Rugers are nice pistols. I debated wildly between purchasing the SR40, and the SR40c. I went with the full size because it fit my hand better. It is a great pistol.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I went to a large LGS recently with the intent to buy a new Sig P232; but both of the stainless models they had in stock had some sort of weird blemishes on the slide. They weren't terribly bad, but more than I expected on a $700 .380. Looking at their used stuff, I spotted a very lightly used PT145 Mil Pro, and was immediately impressed with the esthetics. I had never owned a Taurus, but after checking it out, I knew it was going home with me. I carried a variety of revolvers and autos during my police career (mostly Glock 22), and I currently carry a G22 at my security job. As MoonDawg alluded to, I can tell you that I have never, ever held a gun that felt as good in my hand as the PT145...including the renowned Sig P232 I had just played with for 30-minutes (I'm NOT bashing Sig here).

Amazingly, I had never owned or fired a .45, and I thought the recoil would be significant with the PT145. However, even with 230gr FMJ, I was pleasantly surprised at how light the recoil actually is...I don't think it's noticeably more than the Glock 22 with 180gr.

I'm so impressed with my PT145, I just bought a nib unfired PT140 Mil Pro from a guy I know who's fallen on hard financial times. My wife was somewhat lugubrious, in that she doesn't understand why anyone in their right mind would want to own more than one gun (I currently have 10). I told her I was just trying to help out the guy with his money woes, and reminded her my total investment in two Mil Pros is the same as what I intended to pay for one Sig. This seems to have worked. ;)

Edit: I should have mentioned that so far, there are only two things about these guns that I'm not really wild about. It may be silly, but the steel slide directly on polymer rails design is something I think about. However, with so many having put many thousands of rounds through these without a problem, this is something I'm not going to lose any sleep over. Second, I'm not terribly fond of the sights; however, in most self-defense shooting situations, the average person isn't going to be using the sights anyway, IMO. For this reason, I don't think I'm going to bother installing different sights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most are issue free but like with anything some have some issues, I personally didn't get as lucky as everyone else on here. I've carried my PT145 for about 2 years or so and started having issues at the range with Light Primer strikes and FTFs. As I mentioned in my post, I sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it and shipped in back right away. However I got it back to the range and the first 50+ rounds shot flawless then I ran into the same primer strike issue and have yet to be back to the range, With the help of the wonderful people on these forums I took apart my striker assembly and cleaned it out really good, I suspect this was my issue all along, but still makes me skeptical for using it to protect my life sorry guys just being honest. Just keep that into consideration but I couldn't recommend Taurus customer service more the turn around time was insane.

Just make sure you fire atleast 500 rounds through it problem free before you carry and if you have no problems then I'd say no problem for a everyday carry, great design great ergonomics, 10+ rounds at that size whats not to like?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts

I have the SR9c and will have to say I shoot it almost as well as the PT1911, however, its to big for a pocket gun. Have you been able to shoot any of the pistols you are researching?

·
Super Moderator
19,742 Posts
I have both the PT140 and PT145. Yes, the PT145 has a little bit less felt recoil despite the larger caliber.

I have had the incidental mag drop once or twice with the PT145 and not due to thumbing the mag release. Due to their polymer build, they do flex during fire and some have felt this contributed to the mag drop during firing and, per wino, Taurus fixed his. Either he or someone else here had said they sent theirs in and someone else said Taurus sent them another mag release which clipped a little tighter and resolved the problem. I can tell you that I hear a loud and firm snap/click when inserting a mag into the 140 but get a barely audible, weak feeling click sound with the 145. So, I suspect it is a combination of barely enough shelf to catch the mag and the flex during fire which causes it with mine.

And, I have never had a FTF or FTE with either gun.

All that to say, if you feel and hear a loud and firm click when inserting the mag, I doubt you will experience the mag drop and I don't believe the MilPros can be beat on price, reliability and function. And, Taurus has a lifetime warranty to boot.

And welcome to the forum - not from Texas like a lot of my brethren here - from Georgia.

In addition to the above comments, I had the mag drop only twice with my 145 (about 3 mos ago) and feel it is for reasons as stated above. Despite this, I continue to shoot it and haven't experienced it again. It is still in my carry rotation - I have 3 pistols which make up my "daily carry team" and I rotate evenly among them.

Reactions: Wino

·
32,531 Posts
I own two PT111 Mil Pros and 3 PT132 Mil Pros and they all work fine. No problems.

Most of the owners of the PT145 have had satisfactory use out of theirs.
Some have had to send their Mil Pros in ofr service, but the gun was fixed,now run like tops, and turn around time was a week or just over. For some a bit longer, but not by much.

Management at Taurus USA is and has taken steps to take care of quality control and customer service problems.

Many need to know that if a gun cannot be fixed that a new gun will replace the one that cannot be fixed. Normally.

The Mil Pro series regardless of the model have been reliable for the vast majority who have them.

If the Mil Pro series does not float your boat the newer 24/7 G2 models or DT models might. Consider them if you will. They have a lot in common with the Millennium Pros but have been improved as time has gone on.

The original Millennium series was updated and improved with the Mil Pro series. There are a lot of original Millennium owners out there who get sterling service from their guns. These are not mentioned often and a neglected area.
For example, I owned a PT111 Millennium , but upgrade to the Millennium Pro series and it was a personal choice. Millennium models would feed some types of hollowpoint rounds but not all.

Other Millennium owners found that their guns feed hollowpoints of a particular brand and were satisfied with that.

I've shot foreign ammo though my Mil Pros and the Russkie Silver Bear ammo. These all worked just fine. Others have had the same experience.

You are right to have concerns as that is true for any brand of gun.

For example, I had to send a Ruger SR9 back to Ruger because of a trigger safety issue. This was one of the first SR9s that was recalled for the issue. Ruger fixed the problem and returned the gun in a few weeks time. The gun runs like a champ. No issues since the fix.

Now I could have gone on a rant or never trusted Ruger again. That's not condusive to solving or dealing with the problem. I was unhappy with the Ruger problem, but did not let emotions get in the way when dealing with the Ruger Customer Service. It paid dividends by staying neutral about the whole thing.

I've never had to use Taurus Customer Service except for one time back in the early 1990s when I created my own problem when the adjustable sight ball bearing popped out and disappeared. A detailed note was sent with the Taurus and the problem was fixed by Taurus with no charge.

I nwo have over 40 Tauri and they all are working well. That's for revolvers and pistols. Yes, I could have bought S&W or another brand, but the Tauri have all met my goals for a solid all around working gun. I do own a lot of Rugers as well.

If you use the check guides when inspecting gun before purchase a lot of problems can be averted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts