Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently go one for a carry piece. I've seen the threads about the slide possibly sticking when removing it for cleaning. Any other quirks about the pistol I should be aware of? Currently I have Federal, 230gr Hydra Shocks and some cheaper PPU Ammunition, 230 FMJ rounds for range practice and familiarization. I've yet to make it out to the range, I'm just looking for information on what I should expect.

Most of my pistol experience has been with revolvers and a few semi-automatic pistols that others on the range have let me try out. Up until recently, I've been more of a long gun person but obviously a pistol has it's advantages when it come to things like home and self defense. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome from TX and congrats on the PT145. I love mine, too. I gave it a good clean before going to the range when I 1st got it and a good clean after every range time after that. Being a compact .45, it doesn't like limpwristing and it might experience light primer strikes if the striker channel is not clean. It is a sweet compact pistol, especially for concealed carry.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've had my milpro for a little over a year now and it's my primary ccw gun. No problems with the removal of the slide or any other part, it breaks down real easy. All i've done is to replace the sights with a conventional three dot set.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Yep, I never had the sticking or lockup problems with the slide. Take down of the PT145 is very simple & easy.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome from TX and congrats on the PT145. I love mine, too. I gave it a good clean before going to the range when I 1st got it and a good clean after every range time after that. Being a compact .45, it doesn't like limpwristing and it might experience light primer strikes if the striker channel is not clean. It is a sweet compact pistol, especially for concealed carry.
I'll make sure to clean it, thanks. Being that it's a .45, I figure it will have some kick, so might need a stronger grip. My 1895 can kick like a mule depending on the ammunition I put in it, so I'm going to take that into consideration. Thanks again.

EDIT: Where in Texas are you from? I used to live in Beaufort when I was a little fart.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my milpro for a little over a year now and it's my primary ccw gun. No problems with the removal of the slide or any other part, it breaks down real easy. All i've done is to replace the sights with a conventional three dot set.
I'm considering replacing the sights as well with something easier to see in the dark. I saw a laser sight at one shop that replaces the rear sight, that I'm considering. It appears to have the laser on one side and the battery pack on the other. I don't remember the brand though. One step at a time. With the ammo, holsters, a magazine pouch and a few other things, I've hit my budget limit for this pay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only quirk I have noticed about my PT145 is it seems like my ammo doesn't last very long, keeps disappearing......

You will love it....and the recoil is very mild for a 22oz .45. I have a Springfield Ultra Compact that weighs as much empty as the PT does fully gassed up, and it kicks noticeably harder...

Mike

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Sgtsandman, That's a great Avatar.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only quirk I have noticed about my PT145 is it seems like my ammo doesn't last very long, keeps disappearing......

You will love it....and the recoil is very mild for a 22oz .45. I have a Springfield Ultra Compact that weighs as much empty as the PT does fully gassed up, and it kicks noticeably harder...

Mike
All of my firearms seem to have that issue too. I can't figure out why... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
You'll be surprise how soft it shoots for such a light weight compact .45 ACP.

If you can't find the field striping video here, go to "Youtube" videos and type in "PT145 disassembly" and you'll get a number to watch.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not bad at all. A lot easier to take down than a rifle!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
You are going to absolutely love your PT. I have carried mine for 3 years and have never had a hiccup. Makes me feel nice and secure!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've owned two Millennium Pros, and have not experienced any difficulties in removing the slides for cleaning.

I don't own a PT145...yet, but they are very fine pistols.

Congratulations!

·
Administrator
39,896 Posts
Worst thing about my PT145, is it's appetite. Insatiable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My PT145 doesn't seem to recoil as sharply as my PT140 . If I did not reload I could not feed my babies and they would starve. I like to carry ether one as they both fit my ccw holster.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My PT145 doesn't seem to recoil as sharply as my PT140 . If I did not reload I could not feed my babies and they would starve. I like to carry ether one as they both fit my ccw holster.
I looked at both. The PT140 seemed a bit heavier and I prefer larger calibers, not that there is anything wrong with a .40 caliber weapon. Plenty of Police carry them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my slide stick on me. It was the first time tearing it down right after I got my PT145. It hasn't happened since and I don't know what the cause was, but it's easy tearing down the gun now!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts