Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Jan I have purchased 2 Millenioum Pro's a PT 140 and a PT 111. The PT 140 functions very well and was great except for the fact that it shot way low and left. A trip to the factory, 2 months and a new barrel fixed that. The PT 111 blew the recoil spring assembly out the front of the slide the first time at the range. I was able to fix that by opening up the outside diameter of the spring. Also during this time I purchased a S & W Sigma in 40 SW. The Smith is dead on accurate and functionally flawless. The trigger feels like a double action revolvers which while different was easy to get used to. As I type this I want to get a nice concealment holster for my carry gun and I'm still in doubt as to the Mil Pro fulfilling my needs. Function on both of these is now excellent and the PT 140 is actually accurate now. What it does do is drop the magazine a lot because the mag release is so exposed and drops the mag when accidently hit. I also have been dropping mags while firing it due to hitting the mag relase while gripping the weapon. Right now the exposed Mag release is the biggest fault i have with my Mil Pro's. The design of the Sigma has a rib on the grip that protects the Mag release and ensures your fingers stay away from it while shooting. The Sigma will not become my carry gun due to its size but I have handled a S&W M&P Compact that addresses my mag release concern the same way the Sigma does with a molded in rib on the grip.
This is not a Taurus bash but food for thought for anyone else looking for a dedicataed carry weapon. One final thought the S&W purchase is what I expected when buying a modern handgun, accurate and reliable with well though out features. The Mil Pro's have not met the same standard.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I thought I was accidentally pressing the mag release and then discovered that it was a problem with the gun. Taurus had to make an adjustment.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Never bumped a mag release, even in my big hands. Sigmas are ok pistols and the M&P is a glorified Sigma (seriously), so if you like the sigma, the M&P should be fine for you. I personally have had no trouble from any of my Taurus pistols and really enjoy the compactness and capacity (10+1 or 12+1 with 24/7 mag) of my PT145, if I wanted something other then a Taurus for carry and had a problem dropping mags, I'd check out a P99.

Also, I'd go either 45cal or 9mm, the 40cal isn't that much different then a 9mm (other then costing more to shoot) and neither have the trauma punch of the 45cal. If you actually had to shoot someone/thing with a 9mm or a 40cal, you would NOT know the difference...

·
32,531 Posts
This can slso have to do with the way the gun is gripped during firing. If one shoots with the thumbs locked up or straight out one can inadvertantly hit the mag release button and not know it.

This can be true with the any pistol, but is especially true for small,compact,or medium frame styled pistols. The thumb or a finger could lightly brush or hit the button hard. The firer could be oblivious to this and not know it.Happens even to the old shooting veterans from time to time. Happens to when people swtch from one size or type to another. Thumbs down hold or a grip adjustment can fix that though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Of course us lefties don't have this problem. The thumb is saftly on the other side. Because of the grip geometry the trigger finger wont touch it. ....Now if only we could switch the safty to the other side I would reach Nirvana!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts