Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one for $197 from ky gun company as a gift for my bro inlaw. I cleaned it and put 48 rounds of cheap ammo through it. 1 ftf . otherwise it ran perfect. The ammo was pierce. Never heard of it. Seemed dirty and cheap...
Now I just have to figure out how to give it as a gift in accordance with the law.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That's a nice gift. To transfer it in Illinois, you'll have to call the Illinois State Police for a FOID and transfer number, and also contact the Cook County Sheriff for whatever paperwork they need.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
What a thoughtful gift! A year ago that law started that one has to call in a authorization even for FTF transactions between family. I'd probably just use a LGS to handle the transfer to simplify it. Marengo Guns does it for 10.00 and they have a nice inventory to browse while you are there!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
ISP brochure is here:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf

The link to check your happy brother in law's FOID validity is here:

Illinois State Police FOID Person to Person

If you live in Chicago . . . I'm not going to begin to know what you need to do. The Chicago ordinance is ridiculous! You've previously confirmed for me that laser sight are illegal, but they also regulate sales displays for utility knives!?! Whoa. In any event, a quick read there suggests you need a license to give a gun away. Good luck with that . . .

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
At the isp website i found the link to generate a transfer number. Does cook county require something? I may be dumb,but at least I don't live in Chicago..

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
At the isp website i found the link to generate a transfer number. Does cook county require something? I may be dumb,but I live in Chicago..
I don't know and that is one of the reasons I suggested using an FFL. You could probably call them and ask, they do a lot of business beyond their area and are friendlier than GAT.

Reactions: chicagotrauma

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know and that is one of the reasons I suggested using an FFL. You could probably call them and ask, they do a lot of business beyond their area and are friendlier than GAT.
I found all the links at gats website....

·
Registered
354 Posts
If my BIL tried to give me a gift like that, all kinds of red flags would go up & I would refuse it....LOL. :) :-\

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I found it. Cook county sheriff has a form I need to submit. Jeez, its only a stupid handgun, its not like it its a vile of smallpox. For no supposed gun registry, it sure seems like it is registered an awful lot....
Oh they are registered!

Reactions: chicagotrauma
1 - 16 of 16 Posts