Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Mil PT140 Pro thumb sore

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  sidekick 
#1 ·
I've put 200 rounds thru my PT140, no malfunctions at all. Gun loosened up after about 150 rounds and works well. It kicks a little heavy and wonder if anyone makes a metal guide rod to help with the recoil? My problem is that is the left rear corner of the polymer frame, right above my rt thumb joint bumps and causes a small blister. Since its a keeper I was thinking a little file work might relieve that little sore that doesn't heal when I shoot the PT140. If I could just trim a little off the frame on that corner I don't think I would have to wear gloves to practice. When I carry, it really doesn't matter as I won't be firing it much (I hope).

#3 ·
Robby said:
I have the 9mm, but I never noticed any soreness, or irritation in that area of my hand. You might not have the problem the next time you shoot, but if your gonna do heavy practice, a glove might be a good idea rather than filing down the frame.
+1 I have the pt111 also and a pt145.i have never had this problem.you might try wearing gloves like robby said

#4 ·
Yeah, good ideas. I generally don't like to practice with conditions other than I might be carrying. I probably won't be doing heavy practice again till I put my PT Night Sights on. The spot on my thumb is pretty much healed, I'll wait a few days and try it without glove. I won't try and relieve the frame till last resort. The .40 has a good litle recoil to it, but I like it. I have a Sig 239 in .40 and it's recoil is much milder. Thanks again.

#6 ·
One problem is with my 58 years comes arthritus and I think my knuckles and hand joints were a bit swollen the day I started the blister, plus been doing a lot of shooting lately. Took my CCL 70 days ago and been hitting the range a bit more than usual...Been told also just to put a band-aid across the spot without the glove, but haven't tried that yet. In Texas we are backed up on paperwork for the CCL, should get it within twenty days.

#7 ·
sidekick said:
One problem is with my 58 years comes arthritus and I think my knuckles and hand joints were a bit swollen the day I started the blister, plus been doing a lot of shooting lately.
Well shoot, you kids, just a little arthritus Huh!! I know the feeling and I am 8 years older than you.
orlandodriver said:
I'm still wondering cause usually my thumb dont hurt after 200 rds but the left side of my middle finger tends to get sore cause i guess sitting under the trigger guard.but i went this past weekend wasnt too bad.
Gee, now that is true, I forgot about that! I know even with the JUDGE, if my finger is behind the trigger guard,(I added a Hogue grip to stop that) or press up tight against the bottom with the PT111 I notice it while shooting, but not for long. Actually I added the Handal Jr to mine to keep my middle finger up tighter, and also make sure the web of my thumb is tight under that rear tang. It helped my POI & POA problems too.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips. Keep 'em coming- I'm learning more all the time. I was about to give up on the PT140, but it hasn't malfunctioned once in about 200 rounds. Robby, is that a lab or a golden in your pic? My other handle is "DogDaddy" as one of my girlfriends trains service dogs and dog-sits and obedience training. She's done goldens, Standard poodles and just started with our first labradoodle. Lots of dogs here most of the time. Only 5 today.

Just bought a Taurus Ultralite 85ss2ul with Crimson Trace and a S&W mod. 60 3" w/Crimson Trace for my birthday today. Hell, someone had to buy them!

Sure is a friendly bunch around here...

#10 ·
sidekick said:
One problem is with my 58 years comes arthritus and I think my knuckles and hand joints were a bit swollen the day I started the blister, plus been doing a lot of shooting lately. Took my CCL 70 days ago and been hitting the range a bit more than usual...Been told also just to put a band-aid across the spot without the glove, but haven't tried that yet. In Texas we are backed up on paperwork for the CCL, should get it within twenty days.
i feel your pain....it took me and the wifes CHL 120 days in texas

#11 ·
sidekick said:
Thanks everyone for the tips. Keep 'em coming- I'm learning more all the time. I was about to give up on the PT140, but it hasn't malfunctioned once in about 200 rounds. Robby, is that a lab or a golden in your pic? My other handle is "DogDaddy" as one of my girlfriends trains service dogs and dog-sits and obedience training. She's done goldens, Standard poodles and just started with our first labradoodle. Lots of dogs here most of the time. Only 5 today.
My sweet heart is a Weinmaraner, she is my constant friend since retirement. One of my other nicks was "Stablemaster", or "Ranger". We run horses on the farm, but the Nick was from a large group of internet folks that worked with me, and called me that due to a horse related theme.

#12 ·
I have that problem with my Ruger LCP, but not my PT-145. I have found a weight lifting glove works great because it has extra padding right where you need it the most. I never practice with the LCP without that glove on.

#14 ·
I have the exact same issue - the PT145 wears a hole in my thumb, right on the base knuckle, after about 300 rounds. My 24/7 Pro doesn't do that.......I've just resigned myself to put a band aid on it prior to shooting extensively with it, or wearing a glove on that hand.

#15 ·
I don't have that problem, I would just put a bandaid on that place and shoot. It would not be enough to change your shooting, but would stop the blister.

#18 ·
I went through 100 rnds in my SS Kimber Ultra Carry II today, .45, and wasn't any problem from it. I think it's just my thumb and the lower corner below the slide. I just bought the Kimber (my second) and guess I'll stay with it. Have a friend who offered me $300 for my PT140, so guess I have a Don Hume IWB and PTnightsights, (neither one used) for sale. There wasn't really anything wrong with the gun, just fit problems. Thanks for all the tips guys, I give up.

#19 ·
I have had a similar problem with several different handguns (Beretta PX4 9 mm, Steyr M9A1, HK USP40c)--the recoil caused soreness in the joint at the base of my thumb. I have always attributed it to the grip or trigger reach being a little too big for me, causing me to rotate my hand around to better reach the trigger. The result would be that that joint (instead of the web of my thumb) would be in line with the grip to take the recoil full-force.

This might be the same thing you're experiencing. The snappier recoil of the .40 probably makes it much more noticable. The fact that you don't have the problem using your Kimber makes sense: the slimmer, single-stack grip ensures your thumb joint stays off to the side.

Still, this seems unlikely with a PT111 or 140, since the grips are small and well-rounded. Nevertheless, dry fire a few times and then check your grip. If that joint at the base of your thumb is behind the grip, that might be your problem. If you're pulling the trigger with your knuckle joint instead of the fingertip pad, maybe you can rotate your hand a little to get that joint more off to the side. A (small) Hogue HandAll grip sleeve might also help.

#20 ·
Eeyore, Thanks , I will try that when I pick up a 111. I had tried the Handall Jr., and while it helped some, it didn't eleviate the soreness with the PT-140 Mil Pro. but did aid in pulling gun from holster. I sold PT140 for what I paid for and will try the 111 before giving up on this particular model. I like the size vs. mag capacity and will use it for either main carry, or backup. Right now I'm the proud new owner of a Kimber SS Ultra Carry II in 3" and as you say, no problem with sore spots.

#21 ·
I have RA and when I'm shooting my 45 I use Bike riding gloves there pretty cheap and they have padding in the palm and first knuckle area other then that they are light weight and easy to find. Plus have half fingers so your trigger finger feels normal.

#22 ·
sidekick said:
Right now I'm the proud new owner of a Kimber SS Ultra Carry II in 3" and as you say, no problem with sore spots.
I fondled one in the shop the other day. Very nice, but hard to justify paying twice as much as I paid for my PT111, which is doing the job fine. Maybe someday, though. 8)

#23 ·
I liked the PT140, it just didn't like me. I am keeping my Don Hume and PT Night Sights as I can see myself getting a Mil PT111 Pro in the future. I really like the 9mm, shot my HK P30 and my Sig 239 today and allthough the HK is fine gun, the Sig, in 9mm and .40, is a nicer shooting gun to me. The PT140 I had, didn't malfunction or have a failure to feed or failure to eject with the same reliability as these weapons that cost over twice as much. I will get a 111, probably won't hurt that spot on my rt thumb. Maybe someone at the range will have one I can test fire before I buy. PT111 is currently selling today for $299.95 at Academy, same as the PT140. The Milleniums feel real good in my hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.