Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Mil Pro 145 gen 3 today stripped it cleaned and lubed it but have not fired it yet. I don't know if I just lack arm or hand stregnth but when I have racked it to put a round in the chamber I can't pull it back with just the fingers on my left hand. I have to go over the top with my entire left hand to get the slide back. Have tried it with both magazines. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I read your post and immediately went to MY new pt145 and tried it. It does seem to b a bit tighter spring than many pistol's, but I didn't notice it until now, thanx Texas ::) . It's definitely tighter than my old 1911 was. Not a big worry though as long as u can rack it, springs loosen a bit with time so go have fun and shoot alot of rounds. Don't forget the range report ;D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Range report on New Mil Pro PT145 Gen 3. Great gun. staight 8 sights fantastic. Suprizingly low recoil. got 1oo rounds through it and fired Wally World Winchesters 230's GD 185's no Problems. Tight Groups at 10 Yards. Trigger was better than expected. Just a great Gun For the money. It will be my Primary carry in a SMart Carry with extra mag. I hope your experience is just as good.

·
32,614 Posts
Recoil springs in .45ACP versions, especially the smaller pistols, can be very hard to overcome when racking the slide. Sounds like you've got things under control. Just one thing. Changing out springs for a lighter one could cause failure to function problems up the road. You may not do it, but others may try.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The springs on the PT145 are "tuned" to help control the recoil. The springs are captive "double" springs. In most terms these are called "recoil tamers" which means that they are intended. The over the hand approach is probably the most reasonable for such a small pistol. It's part of the solution, not the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I fed the magazines about 4 times today the racking got easier. I will take the hard racking because the recoil was much lighter than I could have expected. The recoil on my PT111 Mil Pro 2nd gen seems to have more than the .45. Great Weapon

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good information guys! Yes, the slide will be a little tight, but that's the trade off for having a .45 of this small size. Glad your range session went well!

I'm off to the range tomorrow for a little "plinking."

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts