Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today. Had a great time blasting off my 45 reloads. After about 200 rounds I started experiencing jams. The last bullet in the magazine would jam as it went from the magazine into the barrel. It would catch in about a 30 degree angle from magazine to barrel. As many of you know the cast bullets are coated with wax. Does anyone know if maybe the magazine has some wax inside and causing the spring to hang up?
I am currantly cleaning the gun and don't know how to take the magazine apart to clean it. Can anyone tell me the correct way to disassemble the mag.?
By the way the cast bullets make a big ragged hole in the paper and I think it would make a great self defense round.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I am currantly cleaning the gun and don't know how to take the magazine apart to clean it. Can anyone tell me the correct way to disassemble the mag.?
By the way the cast bullets make a big ragged hole in the paper and I think it would make a great self defense round.
There are 2 common variants of MilPro mags for the PT145 Mil Pro.

Some have the latch on the base plate in the center of the bottom, some others have it on the back edge at the bottom (the plastic device at the bottom of the magazine).

If the latch is on the bottom center of the magazine base, simply use something to depress the latch, keep it depressed, and slide the base off the magazine body.
CAUTION! The spring may be under great pressure! USE EYE PROTECTION, and be sure that the spring and other contents of the magazine do not go flying with great force!

The other type has the latch on the bottom-back edge. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to depress the latch and slide off the plastic base. SAME WARNING APPLIES!

After cleaning the magazine with your favorite cleaner, be sure that it is DRY, as many solvents and lubes can penetrate the primer or seep into an improperly seated cartridge case and ruin the powder; this is especially common in handloads and reloads!

NOTE: All NEW magazines should be cleaned, as many of them have a waxy preservative on all of the steel parts, inside and out. This waxy substance may cause jambs, collect dirt, and increase the friction inside the mag.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I should have read this first. HA....Springs and plate and follower everywhere. :( Kinda like a SURPRISE!!! Scared the heck out of my cat. :D

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
You're gun is fine.

We carry "clean" fully loaded guns in anticipation of the possibility of having to defend oursleves.

If, God forbid, one has to defend themself most encounters don't last more than 1 magazine; in worst case scenario a reload.

Reloads in general are dirtier that factor ammo and you put 200 rounds down range before problems began.

This isn't too bad for this type of gun that wasn't designed for high round count range sessions of long duration.

And yes .45 caliber lead SWC's make a formidiable defensive round if properly placed.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I took a no longer needed baby bottle brush from my grand daughter. They work very well and are cheaper, even though the $5 Kleen Bore brushes may be better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts