Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a Taurus PT-111 Pro stainless if you would have to send the frame in to Taurus to replace a broken magazine catch (that 3 local gunsmiths have been unable to remove)? The button still functions, but the part that grabs and holds the magazine was shaved clean off. Other than that, it's in excellent shape. Finish and function outside of that is 100%.

Since it's under lifetime warranty, regardless whether you are the original owner or not, it would just be a question of you sending it in.

Just curious... I absolutely love this gun, but I have been considering selling it because I need the funds to go towards another gun that I have been eyeing.

Would $100 be unreasonable to ask for this gun? Am I selling myself short if I were to ask only $100? Why so cheap? To offset the inconvenience of the buying having to ship and wait.

Any comments would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Broken magazine catch? Are we talking about the catch inside the pistol grip? If so I wrote a simple little how-to under the smithing section about swapping the magazine release for left handed shooters, which covers all Taurus Polymer framed pistols that I know of and would be the same steps for removing and replace a damaged one. I think you could easily order a new replacement part from Taurus and do it yourself or let one of your gunsmiths read the "How-To" I wrote and change it for you. I wouldn't personally sell your gun for anything under $275.00 or so.... and that would still be a bargain for however purchased it, even with the magazine trouble. I assume you probably paid $300.00-$350.00 or so for the pistol new?

Not trying to knock the gunsmiths you went to, being that I am a smithy. But I am shocked that a fellow craftsman couldn't figure out how to remove the the magazine release from your pistol. I admit that I did take about 30 minutes to figure out how to remove, swap and reinstall correctly. It is basically a 5 minute job once you have done one a couple of times.

Personally I would consider trading your pistol in on the new one or fixing it first, then try trade/selling it. Don't sell yourself short or you will be kicking yourself in the butt later...

I suppose I should ask how you managed to shave off the catch? It is metal and usually takes alot of abuse before showing wear?

·
Registered
663 Posts
DRAEGER said:
I am shocked that a fellow craftsman couldn't figure out how to remove the the magazine release from your pistol.
People are still people. I'm surprised at the amount of snobbery among craftsmen who favor some given brand name and won't even talk about any other. As a craftsman in a totally different field, I find all repairs interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts