Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this weapon for several years and have probably run 1000 rounds through it. I bought it for the features, fit, and finish which I thought were great for the price. I've recently taken up more target shooting and have verified with two other shooters that the weapon routinely shoots 3-4" low. We've verified this at distances up to 10 yards. My question is what can be done as the weapon has the stock fixed sights. The other thing I have noticed is that when the slide is locked back, there is a slight space between the firing pin block and the back of the barrel and I'm not sure that should be. There is also a space between the end of the barrel and the slide on the top side and I don't know if that is there by design or not. I would like to speak with a knowledgeable Taurus gunsmith about this weapon to see if there is anything that can be done as otherwise I do like it.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
The only real tips i can give you with the aim seems to be a constant with Taurus weapons, the front post is generally too high. My 945 shot low at first when i would level the fronts against the rears, but once i began playing cover-up with the front dot it was hitting POA. Some people have shaved the front post down a bit to "match" the rears, but i prefer to just put the dots in line and know it will hit what's behind the front dot. As far as the barrel goes, the gap between the barrel and slide is normal in the tilting barrel designs. As long as it doesn't move up and down when the slide is in full battery it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Point of impact is right behind the front sight dot with the tops of both sights level. This hold true all the way out to even more than 50 feet. Difficult at first but one gets used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my millennium pro last december, first time i took it at the range it shoots low, but after a while it gets better, i am one proud owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And yes imho the "driving the dot" works perfect with a third gen mill pro pistols

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Well mine was the same until I fixed it. Pondered hard about changing the sights or learning to live with it but in the end I just filed off the front sight until it would shoot with the same six O'Clock hold as every other pistol I have shoots. You can fill the rear of the sight with JB Weld then paint it white or any other color you want, works good and is cheap.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after shooting a few more hundred rounds I can hit the side of a barn door 96 out of 100 times. Started practicing on head shots as the idpa match I shot they don't give you a lot of bad guy to hit. Dang innocents kept getting in the way. ; ). Good thing they were only a 5 point penalty.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I have had a PT-111 Pro with the Heinie sights for over 3 years. My 1st range session I struggled to hit the target at 10 yards- most shots were off the paper. I read every post i could find looking for help. After several hundred rounds the point of impact seemed to move up on the paper. Just only recently about 2 months ago did I adjust the rear sight to bring POI to the right about 2 inches. Thats all I have done to the gun. It shoots about a 5" group at 10 yards now centered around the bulls eye.
Changing the sights out I do not believe will help. I think the main 2 problems on the Mil Pros is the trigger and breaking the gun it.
I still keep mine beside my bed. It has been a great gun- no issues, other that I could not hit with it when it was new. If you are shooting low and left still after several years- I would guess that you are not used to the trigger yet.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
No offensive intended to the OP, since we don't know how experienced a shooter you are.

Consistent "jerking" of the trigger, or "milking" the grip can cause shots to be low.

Pilot error; not a fault of the gun.

A disperportionate number of novices have complained here about their Mil Pros shooting "low, left".

I've had the opportunity to test drive 3 "offending guns" here in Florida; there was nothing wrong with any of them.

With a littler shooter's diagnosis, and a modicum of coaching on the basics, the owners sorted out their problems and were all hitting center mass, and happy with their new Mil Pros.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts