Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reload only a few of these calibers...

Caliber consolidation (getting rid of guns) is something I've tried before... But then they seem to follow me home and I'm back where I've started!

1214191325_1576351784673.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
This is such a serious problem in America today that I have set up a not-for-profit (yours) organization to give a good home to unwanted guns. I also take cash donations to make sure they are properly cared for. You can't imagine how personally rewarding it is considering I sacrifice so much for the good of others and their fine guns!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'm looking at the "caliber consolidation" thing myself, again.
I make it a little easier on myself by having a spreadsheet of when I last used a certain firearm, and how much use it gets. I also keep a look at prices and what I can get for some of these lesser used or no longer used firearms, and get rid of them, either in trade for something I want, or just get rid of them otherwise. Right now there are 3 firearms on the chopping block, and a couple of others that may be close. But I know they will go to good homes when I get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
It makes it so much easier to find ammo for sumpthin' when you have forty or so to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
Not to be an enabler, but I don't see a belted magnum in your collection. No rifle collection is complete without a belted magnum, ya know. :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Caliber Consolidation is a recipe for disaster.

It always seems to lead to the dreaded Gun Forum trope; "The One that Got Away". You know the one, where someone starts waxing poetic about how he wishes he hasn't sold [insert gun(s) here], bonus points if at a later date he decides to buy a replacement and ends up spending far more than he had spent on the original one he sold.

Honestly, don't become that guy. So you have a lot of guns which all take different cartridges, so what? Variety is the spice of life, even if you can't afford to indulge in it as often as you like. Also, surely you must have purchased all of those guns for a reason, (even if that reason was merely "I like it") and you'll most likely remember that reason in short order should you start selling off your firearms, only to regret your decision.

This is an annoying mistake I've seen far too many times by far too many individuals. Learn from their mistakes, don't join that statistic. If you're going to consolidate something, then I suggest that it be one of the many common, regrettable mistakes that the average human being makes regardless of warnings from their peers.

·
Super Moderator
36,099 Posts
My last addition was the Beretta 81BB forcing me to obtain 32 ACP brass, dies and projectiles. My issue is not so much adding another caliber but having the addiction of being able to handload for every...single...one. I'm also not big on selling guns. I would love to consolidate the calibers by converting the Beretta to fire .380 Auto and would sell off the dies, brass and bullets.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Not to be an enabler, but I don't see a belted magnum in your collection. No rifle collection is complete without a belted magnum, ya know. :D
No belted magnums in my safe. I do have a couple cans of belted .308 and 3006 but nothing that will feed them..... anyone have a Browning 1919 they no longer have a use for?

·
22,323 Posts
It makes it so much easier to find ammo for sumpthin' when you have forty or so to choose from.
This. I'm opposed to ammo consolidation, and this is my main excuse. I mean reason.

Reactions: Quade and BigBlue

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
My last addition was the Beretta 81BB forcing me to obtain 32 ACP brass, dies and projectiles. My issue is not so much adding another caliber but having the addiction of being able to handload for every...single...one. I'm also not big on selling guns. I would love to consolidate the calibers by converting the Beretta to fire .380 Auto and would sell off the dies, brass and bullets.
I've handloaded for 32 different cartridges and don't mind it a bit. The latest being the .375 Win.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
The only reason I would even consider consolidating is to make life easier on my wife "when I die and when I'm gone". ( I couldn't resist a little Blood, Sweat and Tears lyrics.) I left a letter for my wife explaining who should get certain guns along with the phone number of a trusted friend that owns a gun shop so she can do the consolidating when I'm gone.

Reactions: Quade

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Consolidation? To me, guns are like books. Once acquired, never discarded.

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts