Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
14,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this flyer in the mail and wondered if Midway USA was looking for the disappointed former Cabelas customer's, of which I am one.

DCD2A1C8-EFCB-47DB-939F-A39D8471B50B.jpeg

IMHO when Bass Pro took over Cabelas they:

1. Moved to the highest advertised price of every product

2. Reduced the floor plan of the firearms and related areas

3. Did away with the Veterans discount, except on Veteran’s Day

4. Moved from a 3 tiered “cash back” credit card program, 1% (0-$1,999 spent per year), 2% ($2K -10K), and 3% ($10K & ^) to a 2 tiered system, cutting out Cabelas middle tier.

5. Substituted the “Red Head” brand for the better Cabela’s branded apparel.

Did I miss anything?

·
Super Moderator
13,763 Posts
I haven't checked the mail today, but I'll keep an eye out. And now that you mention it, yeah - that explains why our local Cabela's doesn't stock the quality clothing they used to, and why I see so much Red Head paraphernalia in their inventory and flyers. I went shopping to replace a pair of pants purchased there some years go that finally wore out. I walked out empty handed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I used to get stuff from Midway UK.. then it closed..!! Our only truly US based outlet now is Brownell's. But, if you can stand the mark-up and the wait for shipping, they do a reasonable job. I can't order handgun stuff but there's lots of consumables available.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I always though that Cabela's was to high to start with. Since Bass Pro bought them out they are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
244 Posts
We have 1 local Cabelas, I bought a sale gun there. Worst experience of my life. Won't go into details, but I also won't go into Cabela's again for anything. I go to Sportsman's Warehouse mainly, but online I do shop at Midway for reloading supplies. Their prices are really good compared to local and most other online places.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I just received this flyer in the mail and wondered if Midway USA was looking for the disappointed former Cabelas customer's, of which I am one.

IMHO when Bass Pro took over Cabelas they:

1. Moved to the highest advertised price of every product

2. Reduced the floor plan of the firearms and related areas

3. Did away with the Veterans discount, except on Veteran’s Day

4. Moved from a 3 tiered “cash back” credit card program, 1% (0-$1,999 spent per year), 2% ($2K -10K), and 3% ($10K & ^) to a 2 tiered system, cutting out Cabelas middle tier.

5. Substituted the “Red Head” brand for the better Cabela’s branded apparel.

Did I miss anything?
Hmmm... I would add that they PO'd a lot of thier employees. I was in my local Cabela's soon after the Bass Pro takeover/merger and in a conversation with one employee he mentioned that many employees were ticked about the Veterans Discount going away as they (the employees) would now lose sales and subsequent commissions since the Veteran (myself included) would now choose to shop elsewhere. Can't blame them.

Reactions: william

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
We have 1 local Cabelas, I bought a sale gun there. Worst experience of my life. Won't go into details, but I also won't go into Cabela's again for anything. I go to Sportsman's Warehouse mainly, but online I do shop at Midway for reloading supplies. Their prices are really good compared to local and most other online places.
I purchased my first retail gun there. It was a TCP .380. That's what eventually brought me here.

I'd say Cabelas was good for me!

·
Registered
152 Posts
My local Cabela's treated me great with a lemon gun I bought. They sent it back to mfgr for free. Still wasn't right, went back in and showed them the problem and they bought it back from me on the spot for 100% refund. That was just 2-3 yrs ago. I guess good customer service and competition killed them and now we have the PBS model. Ick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts