Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Geminids are supposed to peak tonight through Sunday morning.
Huh!
I spent 10 minutes out in the cold on the front porch and saw exactly one very faint short orange-ish streak.
Thousands of stars, even the Milky Way showing up faintly, Jupiter rising in the East, so took a look with my spotting scope and saw the 4 moons.
But NO 60 TO 80 METEORS PER HOUR!
Like 1 a minute, uh, uh. 1 in 10 minutes.
Pooh, not worth freezing things off for that.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Oh, sure, supposed to be a meteor shower tonight. Meanwhile, in drought- stricken New Mexico we have rain and snow until later tomorrow. Now get your kiester back outside and give us a range report.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
You must have forgot to wash you vehicle. :D:D:D

After midnight is best viewing for most meteor showers.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supposed to best for us between 10PM and 2AM before the Moon rises. I'll check again after the News at 11:30.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
What kind of soap do you use for a meteor shower? :icon_ poke::D:D:D

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The only showers we're bound to see originate much closer to earth and will be quite wet. :D :p

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
At least you aren't staring at some asteroids!

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I got up that Perseid stuff once at 3 am and didn't see a thing. I won't ever do that again unless I'm in the country. City lights block too much.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another 10 minutes in the cold, 1 more faint orange streak.

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Maybe we should riot, you know....:unsure:....maybe turn over a few telescopes, threaten NASA, set a planetarium on fire.....

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Usually the best time is between 2am and 4am, can't remember the exact reason, however it is something to do with the rotation of the earth and how it travels through the debris. We saw 3 after 11pm Friday night why we were sitting around the fire making smores.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I never see any of that stuff either. The whole entire atmosphere could dry up except a single cloud that was 20 foot by 20 foot and sure as hell.......that cloud would go into stationary orbit over my head every time I looked up.

I did see the last 15 minutes of the last eclipse while on the way to work. Went from deep red to a fine pink until the morning sun washed the sky out.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
My location in the country should allow for perfect viewing, but I never see anything. Government cutbacks are the cause.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
It depends on the density of the field, the angle we hit the field at and where you are located on the planet. It also depends on whether or not you are looking at the right section of sky.

We were going to go camping to see it but it was overcast so we didn't go.

·
10,379 Posts
It's been so foggy here the last couple weeks we haven't seen our porch, let alone the sky!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts