Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have seen pic's of mechanical section of several pistols, here and on cleaning demo sites, that show metal fragments and other debris prior to cleaning.

Now admittedly, I do not put 200 or 300 rounds thru in an afternoon. But after putting almost 500 rounds thru my PT111, and cleaning it about every 50 to 100 rounds.

I have yet to come accross any metalic fragments in the mechanism. I get a little grey left overs from the powder, a little black residue near the firing pin and extractor. But nothing I could call a metal shaving or brass shaving.

I continue to wonder, why some pistols will have this debris in the assembly, and others will not. Do I need to do a couple hundred rounds without cleaning to see this stuff accumulate?

Yeah, Stupid question, dumb shooter (never had a pistol until the PT111). You do not find that stuff in single shot shotguns, Semi auto 22 rifles, and Two shot derringers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Types of ammo have more of a tendancy to leave metal fragments than others. I can't speak as much for my handgun since I don't shoot more than 50 rounds out of it before a cleaning, but I have noticed it with my SKS. For those that don't know the SKS is a Mil-Surp rifle. Mine came from Yugoslavia. Back to the point. I can fire 400 rounds out of it without a problem. I have noticed apon cleaning it afterward that certian types of ammo leave more gunk (metal shavings, etc..) in the action than others. The metal shavings can come from different areas, bullet leaving the casing of the round, slide or other internals not lubed correctly, etc.. If you keep your weapon clean, you'll have no real worries from this. If it starts to build up alot in a shooting session though, I would recommend cleaning the weapon and switching the ammo type to see if keeps doing it. If it does, you may be starting to have a problem with one of the internals.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, either the stuff I have been firing is OK, 115 9 mm remington UMC, and a few rounds of Wolf, well almost a box of that. I have never had the problem of any type of shavings of metal or I am totally blind.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Robby said:
Yeah, either the stuff I have been firing is OK, 115 9 mm remington UMC, and a few rounds of Wolf, well almost a box of that. I have never had the problem of any type of shavings of metal or I am totally blind.
Well, which is it???? ;)

Actually I'm having trouble with the term "shavings." The only thing I can imagine looking like shavings might be peeling chrome from poorly plated cases?

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, here is where I saw it in a web based site showing cleaning.

http://www.kaptain.us/guns/clean.html

They called it, handle full of metal flakes & metal flakes inside the slide.

I only brought it up, because I had never to date encountered anything like that cleaning my PT111 Pro.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a feeling that he is calling the powder residue metal flakes because of its color. It could possibly be aluminum from the frame if he didn't lubricate it before its first shooting. I consider guns to come with packing grease, not lubed. I always clean & lube before shooting a new pistol. It's just a guess.

If you ended up with metal flakes from your gun, you'd eventually run out of gun. Of course, it would get quite sloppy in the slide.

Side note, semi-autos have 3 parts, barrel, frame, and action. I learned this over the weekend. I was asked the question: What are the 3 parts of a semiauto pistol. I answered 'barrel, slide, frame'. The guy said I was wrong, it doesn't have a slide, it has an action. (Hmmmm.....interesting, I thought) I prefer to call it a slide. Gun snob.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I saw the same picture when my PT111 was brand spanking new and thought I'd be cleaning scrap metal out of the slide too. I've got just over 500 rounds through mine and never had it as bad as that photo. I did clean and lube before doing any firing as well as post above.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I have a feeling that he is calling the powder residue metal flakes because of its color. It could possibly be aluminum from the frame if he didn't lubricate it before its first shooting"

"I answered 'barrel, slide, frame'. The guy said I was wrong, it doesn't have a slide, it has an action. (Hmmmm.....interesting, I thought) I prefer to call it a slide. Gun snob."

Ok, If I had seen his actual gun, aka pistol I might have known what he was talking about. However from some of the early photos in his little lesson, I think he fired it without removing the lube. But even my wolf rounds did not leave that kind of junk in my "pistol".

But he did at least show how to clean it well. I have never had to use that many patches and cloths to clean mine even when I first got it. Different strokes for Different folks.

Yeah and mine was throughly cleaned prior to shooting, and lightly oiled. Heck I even apply oil on the "SLIDE", and "HANDLE" with a Q tip. So I do not have to wipe excess off.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Robby said:
http://www.kaptain.us/guns/clean.html

I only brought it up, because I had never to date encountered anything like that cleaning my PT111 Pro.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. I see what you're talking about. You never saw that before????????? All you have to do is clean your gun with a high volatility solvent, the kind that evaporates totally - very thoroughly, don't let any lube of any kind remain. Then go shoot a couple thousand rounds through it. :shooter:

If that doesn't do it get back to me!

JimL

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JimL said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. I see what you're talking about. You never saw that before????????? All you have to do is clean your gun with a high volatility solvent, the kind that evaporates totally - very thoroughly, don't let any lube of any kind remain. Then go shoot a couple thousand rounds through it. :shooter:

If that doesn't do it get back to me!

JimL
You are so totally nutz! Loan me one of your guns to test that theory!! The 24/7 will do. I will even buy the ammo for the test.

·
Registered
663 Posts
kingofwylietx said:
It could possibly be aluminum from the frame if he didn't lubricate it before its first shooting.
I had the same thought.

JimL

They say the wheel that squeeks the loudest gets the oil. What shall I do? My gun doesn't have any wheels! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Robby said:
You are so totally nutz! Loan me one of your guns to test that theory!! The 24/7 will do. I will even buy the ammo for the test.
Are you sure? The ammo would cost you less if I loaned you the one last on my list. ;D

JimL

·
Registered
579 Posts
This thread is getting ugly :eek:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think we have answered the questions about cleaning, for anyone who happens on that site. I am so afraid his PT111 did not last long, if that was truly metal flakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts