Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post here.

I recently picked up a 24/7 in 9mm, and i've gotten almost 500 rounds through it. The other day I was cleaning out the gun and then proceeded to re-assemble it. The Assembly pin absolutely would NOT snap into place. So I applied some extra force via the bottom of the magazine. After a few tries i gave up, pulled the pin out and looked at the result. Turns out the wire(slide catch spring) that bisects the hole had become crooked. If the gun is placed pointing to the left, the wire bends downwards, and if you look at the frame from above, the wire is bent inwards towards the gun. I tried prying the wire back to its normal state with some pliers, but to no avail. Now here's where the fun begins....

I had used a screwdriver to pop the wire out and straighten it, hwoever I accidentally yanked and pulled the slide catch spring. Now i'm really screwed. I don't know how to get it back in and it's STILL crooked. I decided to just leave the gun be and not cause it any more damage. Can anyone help?

Any response is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well, if you do get it back in..i think i may have had a similar problem and can relate (except i figured it out before i took the whole thing apart)

the last time i took my 24/7 out shooting, while reassembling i couldnt get the pin in either. it looked bent and kept poking through near the slide. After taking it apart several times, i realized that i was putting the pin back in wrong. Id have to look at the gun to tell you which way it really was, but i was either putting the pin over the spring when it needed to go under or the opposite.

i doubt that will help since you cant get the thing back in but i thought id throw it out there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm calling Taurus here in a few minutes to see what they can do. Then I'm going to give the dealership I bought it from a ring, see if they can help me out a little bit.

Should I try finding a registered Taurus dealer by my house and seeing if they can help fix it? I've hear horror stories about their customer care, and how it's really really slow.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
See if you can have a Smith at a local shop take a look at if first, it might be a quick and easy fix for him and only cost you a couple bucks. If you have to send it to Taurus it will cost about 50 bucks to over night it so for something that sounds like a fairly small problem I would let a Smith look at it first. Another thing to remember is..If you have to send it back Taurus might not cover it under warrenty if it looks like its something you did that broke it, just something to think about ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the gun into a local gunsmith...the guy looked at it like he'd never seen one before. Decided that he'd charge me $50 and take about 4-5 weeks to fix it(granted he knew what was going on). I decided to pass on it and figured that I'd stick with Taurus.

I called taurus, they said it'd be fixed under warranty and today I spent $50 to get my baby shipped overnight via UPS. This way I can keep the warranty if something else comes up.

Hopefully they'll have it back a little sooner than the advertised 5-6 weeks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought the warranty only applied for failure during normal use? I suppose one could argue that if the pin wasn't so hard to replace, this wouldn't have happened though.

I recently cleaned my own after having taken it to the range for the first time, and I spent a good half an hour trying to get that pin back. I'm still not sure how I did it and I'm kindof worrying to spend the same time to get it back next time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds like your barrel is not down are you holding the gun barrel faced up if you are thats why the pin wont go in. You have to hold the gun down ward so you can push that pin through. And about that wire it DOES cover the hole a little bit Id say at least a 1/4 of it take the pin and move it down while the gun is facing down and it will pop in place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine wasn't down, but I was careful to keep the barrel in a forward position.. I had no troubles getting the pin in the holes, I had issues getting it to lock into place at the end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
shadai is quite right, they don't tell you to point the barrel down to keep it in the porper location in order to put the pin back in

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's been a few weeks since i've posted. I got my Taurus back this past Tuesday. That makes it....10 weeks since it's left my ownership. I was so happy to get it back, I'll definitely take more care in making sure the barrel is pointing down for the pin to get back in! I had it laying flat pointing to the left.

While my gun was "away" i purchased a Sig p228. I love both guns, but I just wish the SIG had some of the features the 24/7 has.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's good to know these things since I can pick up my 9mm 24/7 on 10-8 after I get off of work ;D. Of course I will shoot it again before I bring it home and clean it.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Got this from Taurus Customer Service, as I had problems understanding the Manual on my new 24/7. The Customer Service Rep told me that they get calls on this quite often, as the manual seems poorly written.

Procedure for Takedown Pin re-assembly goes as follows:

1.) With the Slide Locked Back and the Pistol pointed towards the ground at a 45 degree angle, which keeps the barrel forward, insert the takedown pin with the relief cut into the frame hole, so that it skips over the Slide Lock Spring.

2.) Rotate the Takedown Pin to depress the SlideLock Spring so to allow full insertion of the Takedown Spring.

3.) Press the Takedown Pin in as far as it will go and rotate the Takedown Pin Flag to the 9:00 o'clock Position.

4.) While pressing the Takedown Pin, quickly rotate the Takedown Pin to the 3:00 o'clock position. The Takedown Pin should go in with a Snap when it reaches the 3:00 o'clock position.

Hope that helps!

And by the way, I really like my new 9mm 24/7 Pro!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same here!! The grip feels so nice next to the SIG, which is a lot blockier. I can't wait to get out there and hammer through a few hundred rounds!

Next step: new sights. These Heine sights are starting to get on my nerves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^I did! They look great, I really love them.

Did you swap it out yourself(I take it from the thread you did)? I'm not that handy myself...I'd probably screw something up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How many rounds would you suggest before taking down for cleaning? I just purchased a new 24/7 pro c and have fire about 100 rounds at present. My dealer offered to show me how to tear it down for cleaning once it needs it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I cleaned mine before the initial firing and every time after returning from the range. While I may be kind of anal about cleaning/lubrication, that's the best way to keep everything working properly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
24/7 Owner said:
While I may be kind of anal about cleaning/lubrication, that's the best way to keep everything working properly.
That could be a very misunderstood posting. All I have to say is "TMI".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts