Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was arguing with a neighbor about how long the FIRST ammo drought lasted. Wondering what everyone else remembers.

I recall when the first one started pretty exactly -- at least around here. Pres O got elected in November. MY recollection of the drought was December. I recall because my son was coming to spend 10 days vacation with us on leave from Europe. Because he can't shoot much over there, he wanted lots of range time, and I remember buying about 20 boxes of 9mm at Academy for about $7 a box. Figured that would last for his stay. But it was the last big buy of ammo I'd make for a while.

But by January, 2009, ammo was real tight and the "drought" started up. My CHL was up for renewal, and I had a hard time buying practice ammo, so dusted off my reloading gear. Hadn't reloaded anything for a while, because of the supplies of cheapy 9mm. Was pretty depressing here on TA, as everyone was trying to get ammo by going to WalMart at 5am, etc. I remember a friend calling me to tell me he had found a few boxes of Gold Dots in Dallas, and did I want half of them. (2 boxes and I was glad to get them.)

But, as I recall it, by Summer, things were pretty normal again. 9mm never did drop all the way back to $7 at Academy, but by August, shelves were pretty full again.

Anybody remember it differently? I figure we have another 8 months to go if it's like last time.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It lasted about 2 years around here but it wasn't as drastic as now, You could at least get .22 and .223s regularly, it seemed mostly to affect pistol ammo and reloading components.
This time around everything has disappeared from the shelves in My area and it looks like it will last just as long if not longer.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I think this is worse then the last time. I'm hearing things like six months just to fill back orders. Now that's just hearsay but it wouldn't surprise me one bit of it was that or longer.

·
Super Moderator
20,006 Posts
Actually, my dad (at age 75 a lifelong outdoorsman and shooter) says it was pretty bad back in Clinton's day too. Said everyone went out and hoarded like crap.

I do know I bought my first handgun (PT140) in April 2009 and I got that because the place I bought it was out of 9mm at that time. I do know ammo has been tight since O's original election but did loosten up somewhat 2010-2012 even up and until December when the Newtown thing happened. I have never experienced a disappearing act like what has happened to both firearms and ammo since then.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm hearing on here about people finding ammo at certain places on certain days but around me it is drying out like you would not believe. All I've been hearing around here is stuff like we have not had any shipments of such and such calibers since early January. My closest gun store is down to less then fifteen handguns in the case.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I think we were pretty much over the drought at Walmarts in early 2010, but it was not as bad of an ammo drought as this one.

It was soon felt or even announced that Obama would not go after guns during his first term and things were able to get back to the new normal.

Things will be different this time. This ammo shortage is a lot deeper than the last one and we have a lot more shooters than last go around and no more real manufacturing capacity.

Folks won't feel near as much relief this go round when things appear to be settled, because there is no longer an end in sight to the amount of power the left has a hold on now. Most folks fear any perceived victories on the 2nd amendment will be short lived.

As for me, I still plan to add to my ammo larder as ammo becomes more available and I have the money to do so.

I have a very strong temptation to sell ammo out of my trunk at the next gun show and feel rich for a fleeting amount of time until the feeling of nakedness sets back in and I wonder what I've done.

I'll continue to be at my favorite Walmarts at 8 am looking for what interests me the most. I'd sure like to score some more .22 LR, 7.62 x 39 and some .223

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
It was about three years ago that I bought my first gun in a long time. A 9mm pistol, but Cabela's (where I bought the gun) didn't have one box of 9mm ammo in stock. I guess that qualified as a drought. I was able to get some somewhere within a few days, though. Never had any problem getting anything from that time till about the beginning of this year.

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
November 2008 to September 2011.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I was happy to find 3 boxes of .45 ACP for $20/box today at Walmart. Even though it's PPU FMJ's, at least it's brass and should work fine.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Summer 2009 ammo was back on the shelves but not as much was available as before and the cost was about 50% higher. Late summer/ fall 2010 ammo stock started disappearing randomly.

But this time there are so many more people buying ammo, remember Obama has been selling a record number of firearms even before his re-election, that it could be a while before things start to stabilize.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
My recollection is it lasted from the 2008 election through most of 2009. I bought my PT609 on Black Friday 2009 and ammo was available, if not quite as plentiful as before.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
In 2008 I remember things beginning to get tight around Thanksgiving. By March 09 ammo was accumulating on the shelf in most stores. That was in Mobile Alabama. I remember seeing on this forum, I believe, that Florida and Texas were dry a little longer.

It was Black Friday 08 that Academy ran the PT-111 Pro for $229. I missed it- but then began my search for my first Taurus. I finally got one in Feb 09 for $349. Ammo was tight.
Seems like 45 acp was the real hard ammo to get.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
By 2009, I couldn't reliably find low priced 9x18 Makarov ammo like I could previously. I don't shoot my P64 enough to pay the same price as .45 ACP ammo on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This one for my area is the worst ever and it may just be because so many are connected via the web. The last one started in Sept. - Oct. of '08 and settled down fairly quick. In fact 5.56 was readily available as well as CF pistol ammo. This one is different in a spooky way and I hope it's over by the time trees sprout green leaves. The run on guns is unprecedented, especially used handguns.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maybe its just the national media reporting absolutely anything firearms-related nowadays, but in the past I don't remember seeing news on the different branches of the Government buying large lots of ammo. And I'm not talking about the military branches! Recent reports state the Dept of Homeland Security is currently buying a million+ rounds, the FBI buying a gazillion rounds, etc.

I'd imagine those groups' orders are getting preferential treatment from ammo producers, and then add in all the new gun owners. Its going to take longer than last time to get back to normal.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Wait... 9mm used to be $7 a box?!?

*bangs head against wall*

I was probably better off not reading that.
In 2004, I had a older friend give me 500 rounds of 9mm, I then had to buy a 9mm pistol. I looked to see what 9mm ammo was going for, and at the time, Academy was getting $3.96 a box of 50 for CCI Blazer, which was just a little more than .22 CCI Minimag per round. I quickly built my stash up to 2,000 rounds of range ammo and about 400 rounds of hollow-point.

That was about the only time I remember being able to buy 9mm anywhere cheaper than at Walmart.

The only other ammo I bought other than at Walmart was 7.62 x 39 Wolf at a local gun shop because Walmart only carried the brass cased ammo at that time; and premium hollow points for personal defense, I bought at a boutique gunshop. I also ran across a few deals on ammo being sold in estates.

For a brief time, I found my best buys by going to four different retail outlets. For the past three years, my ammo buying has been predominately Walmart.

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
Maybe its just the national media reporting absolutely anything firearms-related nowadays, but in the past I don't remember seeing news on the different branches of the Government buying large lots of ammo. And I'm not talking about the military branches! Recent reports state the Dept of Homeland Security is currently buying a million+ rounds, the FBI buying a gazillion rounds, etc.

I'd imagine those groups' orders are getting preferential treatment from ammo producers, and then add in all the new gun owners. Its going to take longer than last time to get back to normal.
Excuse me, but the Security Direktorat of the Fatherland is buying 1.6 billion rounds, not million.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
With all the gun ban bills in the various state houses, I don't think we'll be seeing anything other than the new normal that we're seeing now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts