Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally met Panhandle Slim for coffee this morning. He had a new grandson born yesterday and was down in Lubbock and we managed to meet at the coffee shop with good scenery, just south of Texas Tech about 6 blocks.

The time went quickly, and he has a lot of good stories to share being a crop consultant in mostly NE New Mexico, and has a lot of close encounters with Black Bears and Pumas or Mountain lions, big a-- cats. Not a range trip, but it's still always great to put a face on someone. He's a couple of years younger than me, but he's spent a lot more time in the sun than I have. :)

I've met about 5 members to date including three times at the range with Smokewagon. I wish I could meet a lot more of the members, but distance and gas prices don't make that highly likely. I thought Smokewago and I were going to get to meet the Illustrious BUTT a couple of years back, but he had to cancel his trip to Lubbock.

I've made a lot of friendships here, just seen very few of you face to face.

Jake!

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Some day I'll get through Lubbock and meet you and Smoke. I'm just not out that way much these days.

I plan on meeting Plano Mark next week for some range fun.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some day I'll get through Lubbock and meet you and Smoke. I'm just not out that way much these days.

I plan on meeting Plano Mark next week for some range fun.
I and I'm sure Smokewagon look forward to that day! He doesn't really look like his avatar, and neither do I! :)

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes we had a good visit today! Good coffee to by the way! Had a good trip! Got a new grandson and got to meet ole Jake on the same trip! Can't beat a deal like that with a stick!

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we had a good visit today! Good coffee to by the way! Had a good trip! Got a new grandson and got to meet ole Jake on the same trip! Can't beat a deal like that with a stick!
Sorry, Panhandle Slim is the email name, Double T is the Taurus name!

·
Administrator
39,378 Posts
There are a number of members here, that have got to be a riot in person! :thumb:

Jake is actually a much nicer guy than you would think. :D

Reactions: drummin_man627

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I and I'm sure Smokewagon look forward to that day! He doesn't really look like his avatar, and neither do I! :)
You mean that you are not really a Springer Spaniel? Now I am disappointed.

I have heard the rumor that Smokewagon is a real handsome fellow!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'm glad you were able to hook up with one of our TA.Net members. I'm sure you guy must have had a great time.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can't speak for Smoke's looks, but I'm a Brit, not a Springer! The gals ask Smoke for a little help on shooting instructions, me, I get a lot of pats on the head, real light gentle pats and a few hugs. I always extend my paw to shake their hands, and anything else that will shake or jiggle!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If you like to meet the members, there is a chance that I will be in Lubbock next week for some team building (the 7th I think). Maybe after that we can get together for a cup of coffee. Please let me know in a PM if that works for you.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 7th works for me, and either a coffee shop or the range.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sounds good, I will bring my two favorite toys, my PT99 and 24/7 G2. I will Private Message you after I verify the date on Friday and to get directions on where to meet you.:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't know what time I will be through with my meetings but if possible I just might tag along? I'll contact Jake later when I know more about my schedule! I also have that new grandson that may need attention!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sounds good to me.

·
32,481 Posts
It's easy to find Lubbock. Look for the " God Has This Area Under Construction" signs. The just follow where HE was on the steamroller going cross country on it. :) Can't miss the flat country.

Was in Lubbock from 1975-1978 waaaaaaayyyyy back when. Reese AFB is long gone, but the 3 runways are still there...... I theeeenk.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
It's easy to find Lubbock. Look for the " God Has This Area Under Construction" signs. The just follow where HE was on the steamroller going cross country on it. :) Can't miss the flat country.

Was in Lubbock from 1975-1978 waaaaaaayyyyy back when. Reese AFB is long gone, but the 3 runways are still there...... I theeeenk.
I think all that flies out of Reese these days are model aircraft. Kinda sad... Such good facilities gone to waste!

·
32,481 Posts
We had our own toy planes. They were called "Tweety Bird" T-37s and the great T-38s. There was never a dull moment around there.

The Sonic Drive Inn was the place to be with street racers being one of the main draws back then. Probably not tolerated now. :)

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The range is about 25 miles from Lubbock. It would probably be better if I showed you some Lubbock hospitality and drove you from your rooms or meeting places out to the range. Smokewagon lives just a little way from the range, and he can usually be coaxed out to shoot, unless he's going to a wedding or funeral on that day. We met one other member out there one time, Peefox. Nice guy, but he took offense that all the members ridiculed him for trading off his wife favorite revolver (a Smith 36) without consulting her first. Still not the mart thing to do! We have a couple of other Lubbock members who ought to meet us out there that I have not met, although I probably met him at about age 6 right before they moved from my hometown. I may have even thrown Rocks at him across the alley. I threw a lot of rocks at age 6 & 7 and got into a lot of trouble doing it. I could really throw a rock, but it didn't carry over into baseball.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We had our own toy planes. They were called "Tweety Bird" T-37s and the great T-38s. There was never a dull moment around there.

The Sonic Drive Inn was the place to be with street racers being one of the main draws back then. Probably not tolerated now. :)
Along about the time you were out at Reese, I sold several IP's homes. Usually, two Lieutenants would buy a house together and then one would get married and I'd have a house to sell and a new house to buy. Life was good. I met a lot of fine young men, and I was young. My brother and sister-in-law were involved in a program where they would have the young pilots visit them at their home as a host family. They were heavy duty into the program and many of their pilot friends have visited them in Idaho out in the middle of nowhere on the Salmon River.

Lubbock has been so dry, the prairie dog population is down, probably starving as the plants they depend on just didn't hardly do anything last year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts