Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The story started with a new Netflix subscription. It ended with the best gun in my collection ( no slight to my PT99 ;)) . Allow me to explain. Last month I activated a Netflix instant subscription, and among other shows I discovered the awesomeness of the original 1980's Miami Vice. In the first season Don Johnson carries the then state-of-the-art Bren Ten 10mm. Sadly the company that made them went bust, and two attempts to bring those guns back to the market have crashed and burned. Since the idea of the 10mm combined with the CZ pistol design was the brain child of the late Jeff Cooper, the Bren Ten carries a good heritage beyond its TV stardom.

Regrettably I was born 3 years after the Bren went off the scene, but I daresay the good Colonel's legacy lives on in the Tanfoglio Witness, as imported by EAA of Florida. This example is a blued, steel framed edition with fixed combat sights that shoot to point of aim. The target above was shot from 40 feet away, offhand using Hornady 10mm factory ammo. This pistol even ran Cor Bon 1200 FPS ammo with the stock recoil spring , no failures or issues. The big steel frame soaks up the recoil like a sponge, and the trigger is exquisite for a pistol of this price.

I'd recommend snatching one of these up at the $600 price point, which fortunately is not what these cost. I walked out the door of my FFL with one of these for $450. The combination of Italian beauty, 10mm power, market leading reliability, an excellent trigger, and CZ ergonomics in a package under $500 is a "drop what you're doing and BUY IT" deal IMO. I lucked out in another respect-this pistol fits Beretta 92FS holsters quite well, including the Galco Miami Classic series. As I type this now it sits nestled under my left arm,cocked and locked in a fashionable way Sonny Crockett would all but approve. :D

That reminds me, this pistol can be carried in any way the user sees fit. Much like the deceased Bren Ten, the Tanfoglio can be carried Condition 1, or with the hammer down on a loaded chamber with the safety on or off. Note that this requires that the hammer be manually lowered on a live round, a practice only the user can evaluate the safety of -and also assume responsibility for.

In terms of carry, one major advantage I'd credit 10mm pistols like this one is the ability to shoot 1000 FPS rounds without detracting from the shooting experience. After running 800 rounds through a .40 S&W handgun I got fed up with the snappy recoil. Shooting .40 felt like calling a bank 1-800# -"Please Wait For Your Sight Picture. Your Shot is Very Important to Us! We apologize for your snappy recoil induced delay. Thank you for Choosing .40 Short and Weak!"

No such troubles with real 10mm. Such rounds which would induce carpal nervous tremors in .40S&W pistols all but burp out of my 10mm, and full power loads don't have nearly the recoil the internet fanboys would have us believe.

Drawbacks: One, you might have to educate your FFL on these guns. No police agency in the US uses them, and as such few dealers know these spectacular guns exist. While this serves the ancillary benefit of keeping the price of admission low, it doesn't help when you call your dealer to order one and the guy says "Tan-what?" in response. Or worse, they stop short at calling you a fool for buying a CZ "clone". Note that calling this pistol a clone is akin to calling a Corvette a clone of a Ferrari.

Drawback #2 should be no stranger among Taurus owners: the mainstream gun industry despises quality firearms which undercuts Glock's prices, and the same haterade spewed towards Taurus owners applies to this gun as well. Don't be surprised if more then a few nitwits ding you for daring to not partake of the Glock cult.

As Ferris Bueler once said regarding a different Italian machine, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one of these up. Being that the price is so low, that shouldn't be TOO difficult -so don't wait. If you buy a blocky G20 over this pistol, IMO you're freaking nuts.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
LGS has one with a stainless slide and it is gorgeous! It's a shame I don't have the money to buy it because I sure would! Although I think it's a .45ACP, which would be fine with me.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LGS has one with a stainless slide and it is gorgeous! It's a shame I don't have the money to buy it because I sure would! Although I think it's a .45ACP, which would be fine with me.
EAA sells conversion kits, which include a complete upper receiver and magazine. The one for the 10mm Match is $360, and because its not a serialized item it can be sent right to your door. I offer my condolences to your savings account.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I want one!

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Congrats on your EAA!
Actually you are a bit late to the party as several of us have them already and i think everyone echoes your thoughts on the weapon!
Stallard has a match grade (forget the caliber) JWC has a whole flock of them and i have both 38 Super and 10MM in the gun.
The only thing I did to either of mine and i will throw this out for you (as it was given as advice to me) and the 10 MM was to change the recoil spring to a 17-18 pound unit (actually i went with a 17 1/2 pounder) I don't shoot sissy loads out of my pistols and so the added protection as well as eating a bit of recoil is cheap insurance.
Both my 38 Super and 10 MM has been nothing except excellent in performance, great triggers and wonderfully accurate right out of the box.
Heres a pic or two of the sisters, the 10 MM has the rail, the little sister 38 Super is without.
Mines the wonder finish which is a silver tennifer finish.
enjoy!
Note: just for the heck of it!
self defense loads 150 gr Nosler JHP @ 1380 FPs.
range loads 155 gr FP @ 1260 FPS.
like i said no sissy loads here, and can shoot them almost all day with this gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
I want one!
The 10 MM and 38 Super can be a tricky find!
the regular calibers like 40 S & W, 45 acp, 9mm are easier to locate.
I had mine on order for about 2 months until it showed up!
seems like EAA also imports one other kicking caliber---45 Mag?? maybe??? or 9 X 23??? can't remember now.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
The Witness allows for many different calibers from the same frame.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have the Elite Match in .45acp, it is currently my most accurate and frequently fired handgun. The Match has a SA only trigger, but with adj. for overtravel it is the sweetest trigger I have ever squeezed.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 10 MM and 38 Super can be a tricky find!
the regular calibers like 40 S & W, 45 acp, 9mm are easier to locate.
I had mine on order for about 2 months until it showed up!
seems like EAA also imports one other kicking caliber---45 Mag?? maybe??? or 9 X 23??? can't remember now.
Here's a link to a dealer in my state who's selling one. He's a good guy too, family owned FFL and everything. Online Gun Deals - Item Details

·
Registered
526 Posts
Nice gun! My first 10mm is probably going to be the Witness Hunter 6" ported in the wonder finish. Sexy sexy gun. Found it for 900 but its a bit out of my spending capacity for a handgun at the moment.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That's also some good shooting there, ST...!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Congratulations and a I'm sorry!

Congrats on the fine pistol and sorry your dealer has to be educated on them. Around here they don't last long on the shelf and if someone get their hands on a 10mm they never seem to let them go. That's why when I saw a Elite Match 10mm at a gun show for $300, I put it in my hands and didn't let it go. Turns out the guy was selling cheap because he was having light primer strikes, I payed $300 and he threw in 2 boxes of shells. Upon dis assembly I found someone had trimmed the hammer spring during a crude trigger job, quick order from Wolff and I had a new spring and killer pistol.

And she shoots just fine,

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...trimmed ...the ...hammer ....spring???!!!

Perhaps my method of shooting is the problem,but IMO the trigger on my standard 10mm needs no help.In a world where everyone's in a hurry to buy a "competition kit" ,Tanfoglio at least saw fit to put in a competent trigger from the factory. It needs a trigger job like a Lamborghini needs a supercharger.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congratulations and a I'm sorry!

Congrats on the fine pistol and sorry your dealer has to be educated on them. Around here they don't last long on the shelf and if someone get their hands on a 10mm they never seem to let them go. That's why when I saw a Elite Match 10mm at a gun show for $300, I put it in my hands and didn't let it go. Turns out the guy was selling cheap because he was having light primer strikes, I payed $300 and he threw in 2 boxes of shells. Upon dis assembly I found someone had trimmed the hammer spring during a crude trigger job, quick order from Wolff and I had a new spring and killer pistol.

And she shoots just fine,

Wow that is one hell of a find...

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
...trimmed ...the ...hammer ....spring???!!!

Perhaps my method of shooting is the problem,but IMO the trigger on my standard 10mm needs no help.In a world where everyone's in a hurry to buy a "competition kit" ,Tanfoglio at least saw fit to put in a competent trigger from the factory. It needs a trigger job like a Lamborghini needs a supercharger.
Everything needs a supercharger.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Nice pistols. Y'all may resurrect the 10mm market all on your own!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You all have made this thread a better Ad. than any advertising agency could ever hope to achieve. I've gotta have one!

Reactions: stallard
1 - 20 of 44 Posts