Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty messed up. Between all of this kind of thing and the horrendous billing practices of insurance companies and the medical field, it's no wonder our country is in a bad financial state. Now granted, if we cleaned other areas of our economy, etc. it would be great (not just picking on med/insurance here). But when a fellow who had a vasectomy is charged and billed for a hysterectomy and the insurance company pays it, you know we are in trouble (this one was on 60 Minutes or some such show)....

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Simple solution to this - revoke her medical license and send her to jail like any other criminal would get.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
There are thieves everywhere, greed and corruption are rampant in the USA.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
We are constantly trying to weed out the bad apples and it is usually not too difficult at the staff level (hospital staff - where you get to know your colleagues quite well) but can be almost impossible to do outside an organized environment (such as a hospital or group practice).

I spent 2 years as Chief of Medicine in our community hospital and a lot of the administrative work was trying to maintain professional work ethics and making sure the staff physicians got their records done on time; didn't deliver sloppy care - especially when it led to an adverse outcome, etc. But, medicare fraud costs us about 30+ billion annually. Even organized crime is in on it - the mob basically puts their docs into a practice in some 1 stop sign town in the middle of nowhere and then fraudulently bills for procedures never performed and even bill for patients long since deceased (sounds kinda like the votes in elections which are found to be cast by dead citizens - LONG dead citizens). And CMS (Centers for Medicare/Medical Services) spends a lot trying to police the system but it can be a daunting task - kinda like looking for a speck of dust in outer space. They do have a budget and limited resources to police the system. If you observe or suspect something, please bring it up as pointed out in the OP.

d

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is what I'm going to school for. I did my BA in International Business, but now I'm doing a Masters in Forensic Accounting...It will be my job to bust the Bernie Madoffs of the world, money launderer's, etc....I'm being trained for a variety of different white collar investigative work, but seeing as I live in South Florida, I can surely see myself building a special practice in Medicare Fraud...(Which is the largest dollar wise of the financial frauds)...Hopefully I can land a job with and OIG, SSA, IRS or some other federal agency post graduation...it's really tough to start a career these days.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are constantly trying to weed out the bad apples and it is usually not too difficult at the staff level (hospital staff - where you get to know your colleagues quite well) but can be almost impossible to do outside an organized environment (such as a hospital or group practice).

I spent 2 years as Chief of Medicine in our community hospital and a lot of the administrative work was trying to maintain professional work ethics and making sure the staff physicians got their records done on time; didn't deliver sloppy care - especially when it led to an adverse outcome, etc. But, medicare fraud costs us about 30+ billion annually. Even organized crime is in on it - the mob basically puts their docs into a practice in some 1 stop sign town in the middle of nowhere and then fraudulently bills for procedures never performed and even bill for patients long since deceased (sounds kinda like the votes in elections which are found to be cast by dead citizens - LONG dead citizens). And CMS (Centers for Medicare/Medical Services) spends a lot trying to police the system but it can be a daunting task - kinda like looking for a speck of dust in outer space. They do have a budget and limited resources to police the system. If you observe or suspect something, please bring it up as pointed out in the OP.

d
Thanks for your learned and insightful comments on this topic.:thumb:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard that for every advance that a pharmaceutical company makes, there appears to be something terrible that it does. There are many wonderful drugs, but an equal amount of illegal tactics and other abuses such as Medicare and Medicaid scam. Well, it sounds hilarious, right? Get further information here: Pharmaceutical Medicare and Medicaid fraud runs rampant
Hi ShaneX,

Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, and thanks for your comments and the informative link.

When you have a chance, drop over to the Member Introduction section and introduce yourself.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
There are thieves everywhere, greed and corruption are rampant in the USA.
We need to clean up this crap, lets start with the corrupt SOB's in DC....

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: Three Percent
1 - 11 of 11 Posts