Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got treated to hearing that moron Shepard Smith explain how an "assault weapon" delivers explosive damage to muscles and bone "like no other weapon can" That's a quote. Apparently he's never been introduced to a 1911, or any other of the number of calibers that will easily do as much or more damage. Idiots! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I just got treated to hearing that moron Shepard Smith explain how an "assault weapon" delivers explosive damage to muscles and bone "like no other weapon can" That's a quote. Apparently he's never been introduced to a 1911, or any other of the number of calibers that will easily do as much or more damage. Idiots! :mad::mad::mad:
Somebody need to show that windowlicker what a .50Government (.50-70, what the Allin conversion Springfields sere chambered to use before the Trapdoor was introduced) can do. Or a .58 Minie ball.

You gotta remember, newsreaders ain't paid to be accurate. All they have to do is be able to read off'n a teleprompter, speak with no discernable accent and, generally, be eye candy.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Looking for this article/video without success, can you link it?

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
Well, that's what you get for listening to the news media.
If I want to be lied to by an idiot I'll talk to my ex-wife.
She's been gone for 50 years. Tv's been gone for 10.
It's really pleasant and tension free at this house now.

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
Dead is dead, doesn't matter what it came from, or caliber..................
True...:unsure:...but there's somethin' to be said for havin' that competitive edge............

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for this article/video without success, can you link it?
I saw it live on TV. I don't know if its available anywhere.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A rifle round does much more damage than a handgun round regardless of the type of weapon it is fired from.
Here is a link to an article about the subject, testimony from trauma Surgeons and some x rays too, it's not pretty.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/health/parkland-shooting-victims-ar15.html
Well if it's in the NY Times it must be true lol. I don't doubt that a rifle in general has more velocity and does more damage. To single out an "assault weapon", whatever that is, is ridiculous. The most popular AR rifle is .223. I would imagine it does the least amount of damage than all the other calibers.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Of all the modern sporting cartridges that are readily available, the .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO would be the preferred round to be hit with. A .243, a 270, a 7 Mag or 8mm would do significantly more damage to a body than the .223. Even the venerable 30-30 would do more damage. The only advantages of the .223 or 5.56 is number of rounds you can carry. In war, it was preferred as it wasn't seen as a lethal round, but more of an incapacitating round requiring other enemy soldiers to stop fighting to retrieve the injured enemy guy that got shot. By way of comparison, the 30-06 was chosen to put the enemy down permanently.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
A story to relate.

The guy that started me shooting was also a varmint shooter and one of his favorite guns was a Remington 700 Varminter in 22/250. He told a story of a time he was in Mt. Prairie Dog shooting at about 300yds. Hot day and a lot of heat waves coming from the ground so all he seen in his scope was a silhouette of a dog. He told me of how he took 3 shots at it and it was still sitting on the mound. He then put down the rifle and walked out to it. When he got to it yes it was sitting in the hole but it's head was gone from the shoulders up. His other favorite gun was a Remington 700 Varminter in 25/06!

For me it makes no difference as I don't want to be shot period!

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Well if it's in the NY Times it must be true lol. I don't doubt that a rifle in general has more velocity and does more damage. To single out an "assault weapon", whatever that is, is ridiculous. The most popular AR rifle is .223. I would imagine it does the least amount of damage than all the other calibers.

well like all caliber wars there are so many things to figure in, especially the what ifs?
generally speaking a rifle round is going to do more damage simply because it carries with it a lot more energy.
but then what type of projectile does it carry on the end?
is the projectile so near unstable that it tumbles or does it pretty much drill a nice lil round hole right through the target?
the 223/556 lets face it is not considered the killer cartridge that so many think it is, in the AR it is a very effective wounding machine though.
I mean the cartridge has under gone a steady change/improvement to better make it a killer round, but its not a 308, 30-06 0r 50 cal for sure.
but you sure can a carry a lot of them lil bitty Booletts!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I also keep hearing the media refer to the weapons as Modified Assault rifles and AR-15's. The video I saw showed an AK type that may have been a SKS type carbine using the mag conversion but I never saw a 223 conversion for them.

·
Super Moderator
19,861 Posts
An easy way to remember that rifles are generally more potent than handguns.

The energy of the round is E=M•V(^2). That is “Velocity” squared.

Bottom line, the velocity has more to do with destructive energy than the size/mass of the projectile. That requires no past experience of ballistics or even a ballistician - it’s a pure fundamental principle of physics.

Didn’t anyone watch Edwin Neuman’s, science editor for NBC News, back during the Gemini and Apollo rocket years? I could go further into how velocity is dependent on gravitational pull but I think I’ve covered it at a high level.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
An easy way to remember that rifles are generally more potent than handguns.

The energy of the round is E=M x V(2). That is “Velocity” squared.

Bottom line, the velocity has more to do with destructive energy than the size/mass of the projectile. That requires no past experience of ballistics or even a ballistician - it’s a pure fundamental principle of physics.

Didn’t anyone watch Edwin Neuman’s, science editor for NBC News, back during the Gemini and Apollo rocket years? I could go further into how velocity is dependent on gravitational pull but I think I’ve covered it at a high level.
Well............no.
But I did watch several episodes of Watch Mr. Wizard when I was 7 and 8.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Wasn't going to bring this up because I know how sensitive some people get with the subject and so I now will break one of my own rules.

In two different news reports I'd seen it was reported in one that the shooter used a 100 round Drum magazine and in the other report it was a 75 round magazine. All I can think to myself is Good Grief! Why? What practical purpose does a drum magazine serve?

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
78 Posts
In two different news reports I'd seen it was reported in one that the shooter used a 100 round Drum magazine and in the other report it was a 75 round magazine. All I can think to myself is Good Grief! Why? What practical purpose does a drum magazine serve?
The drum I had was very useful in learning to clear malfunctions, that thing was junk!

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Wasn't going to bring this up because I know how sensitive some people get with the subject and so I now will break one of my own rules.

NO need to reload for a loooong time.
course the weight would be an issue for me personally, ifn you practice mag changes then it really doesn't take that long to reload a AR , especially wiff that release on the trigger finger side!
never used a drum mag but have heard all kinds of negative and positive results as to function with them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts