Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had the same luck with them.
when I got my PT1911, i was having some probs with it and switched out the stock mag with the Mec-Gar and I have never had a single problem since.
They get my vote and will always replace my stock mags with these..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've used the P226 mags as backup and range mags for my G2 for a while now. They work great. I had one mag with 2 FTF but I was using some cheap steel cased ammo. Think it was a bad box of ammo though. I had some problems in another gun with the same box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I tried the X-Grip adapter that I have for my Smith M&P9c that fills the gap when you use 17-round mags with it, and to my surprise it's a pretty good fit. It slides onto the mag just fine, but it's a little too tall. You can get the mag to lock in, but it takes a little pressure. With some minor trimming it should work just fine. Pretty comfortable, too.

DSC_5801.jpg

DSC_5806.jpg

DSC_5807.jpg

DSC_5809.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got one of these Mec-Gar P226 18-roung mags for my 111 G2. I can't believe how well it fits, and chambering rounds is smooth as butter. And of course, Mec-Gar quality is top notch. Can't wait to try it at the range.

Randy, I am about to buy both a G2 111, and a G2 140, and I think you can answer my questions. You got a Mec-Gar P226 for your 111. Did yoy need some kind of "grip adapter" to close the gap? If so, from where please.
You mention in another post, a 17rder, same question I guess re: grip adapter and was that mag also a Mec-Gar? Thank you friend!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Randy, I am about to buy both a G2 111, and a G2 140, and I think you can answer my questions. You got a Mec-Gar P226 for your 111. Did you need some kind of "grip adapter" to close the gap? If so, from where please.
You mention in another post, a 17rder, same question I guess re: grip adapter and was that mag also a Mec-Gar? Thank you friend!
The grip adapter is not necessary. It just makes it a little more comfortable to shoot with the Mec-Gar P226 18-round mag. The grip adapter that I used is made for when you use S&W 17-round full size mags in a S&W compact (9c) pistol. It just happens to be a close fit on the P226 mag in the PT111. The company that makes the adapter is http://x-grips.com/products/smithwesson-mp/ Available at Midway and others. There is a list of stores on the site.

I ordered another x-grip so that I have one for my 9c. Once I receive it, I will work on altering the other on to fit better with the PT111. From the looks of it, it won't take much work to make it right. It fits as is, but a little too snug.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the new X-Grip for my M&P 9c, so I did some sanding on the old grip, and now it fits the P226 mag quite nicely. Not perfect, but good enough.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Per my meeting with Taurus today, they have struck a deal to have Mecgar make mags for them..
That should eliminate a large portion of the problems a few people have experienced with Taurus semi auto's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I tried the X-Grip adapter that I have for my Smith M&P9c that fills the gap when you use 17-round mags with it, and to my surprise it's a pretty good fit. It slides onto the mag just fine, but it's a little too tall. You can get the mag to lock in, but it takes a little pressure. With some minor trimming it should work just fine. Pretty comfortable, too.

View attachment 102701

View attachment 102702

View attachment 102703

View attachment 102704
Hi randyr5, mag is still a p226 17rd along with the x-grip adapter?

x9077, gummy nightly 7/15/2014

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Per my meeting with Taurus today, they have struck a deal to have Mecgar make mags for them..
I wish they would make some mags for the PT 38 38 Super.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I've used Mec-Gar mags for 1911s, CZ 75b, Taurus 92 and others. No issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is the Mec-Gar 18-round mag for the P226. 18-rd. 9mm Sig P226 Mec-Gar® Handgun Magazine - 609359, Handgun & Pistol Mags at Sportsman's Guide I'm sure it's available from other vendors, too.

The X-Grip needed some minor sanding for a proper fit.
Hi randyr, you haven't by chance tried/fitted the p226-20rd mecgar mag? I presume its a few mm longer and wonder how it would sit with that xgrip extension for the s&w mp extension.

20-rd. 9mm Sig P226 Mec-Gar® Handgun Magazine (same website you provided)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi randyr, you haven't by chance tried/fitted the p226-20rd mecgar mag? I presume its a few mm longer and wonder how it would sit with that xgrip extension for the s&w mp extension.

20-rd. 9mm Sig P226 Mec-Gar® Handgun Magazine (same website you provided)

Well, the X-Grip needed maybe 1/16" max sanded off to fit the 18-round mag. I can't say with certainty, but my guess is that it would be a loose fit on the 20-round mag.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does the X-Grip stay snug when carrying in a mag holder, or does it tend to slide on the magazine? Would you recommend using this P226 mag/xgrip setup on a backup magazine for concealed carry? I have read elsewhere that some use a row or two of electrical tape on the magazine to keep the xgrip in place.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the X-Grip stay snug when carrying in a mag holder, or does it tend to slide on the magazine? Would you recommend using this P226 mag/xgrip setup on a backup magazine for concealed carry? I have read elsewhere that some use a row or two of electrical tape on the magazine to keep the xgrip in place.
The X-Grip fits fine on the mag is was intended for (M&P9 17-round), but it is a little loose on the P226 mag. I used a little bit of clear silicone caulk on the rear of the mag. Easy to remove if needed. Some friction tape would probably work well, too.

DSC_5844.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts