Taurus Firearm Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My Beagle just tore her left ACL. Vet says shes too old for surgery. Gave us some doggy pain killers. Now my Beagle cant walk a straight line.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I hope you have better luck than us. We've had three Beagles over the last 25 or so years and not one could be bothered to chase a rabbit. Or a skwirl, for that matter. Our first one absolutely hated cats ,so there's that. OTOH, if our current Beagle sees a cat in the yard it tries to make friends. :irked:

I wanna Beagle. So many rabbits around here to keep it busy. Wife says no. She wants a worthless yam (Yappy mutt),something like a Chihuahua or something. Just what I need, a worthless yam.

Even though I can't hunt ducks anymore, my lab still retrieves doves. She's a good dog. But, I just love the sound of a beagle on the trail. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,518 Posts
My Beagle just tore her left ACL. Vet says shes too old for surgery. Gave us some doggy pain killers. Now my Beagle cant walk a straight line.

Many moons ago my Golden Chow mix was diagnosed with a Luxating Patella, a condition where the ligament slips out of the groove in the kneecap. (common in many breeds and an indication is where the dog lies on it's belly with the legs straight out behind to help move the ligament back into position)

The dog was maybe 3 or 4 at the time and naturally the Vet advised that I spend 600 bucks on a surgery. I asked what the downside was if I let it be and the answer was that he would have arthritis when he got older. I told him that I would think about it and let him know and I walked out thinking...we ALL get arthritis when we get old.

Some 5 years later when we were at Purdue Veterinary school of medicine treating his bladder cancer I mentioned this to the Docs there. They examined his back leg and said that they saw no indication of a problem with the joint or ligament. The bone apparently repaired itself.

I hope that your beagle gets relief with the NSAIDS and that perhaps the condition can get better with rest.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts

Attachments

·
21,931 Posts
Ah, dogs; God's wonderful reminder of how great everything could have been if a certain pair could have kept their hands off the fruit....

We had five until recently, until we determined our Pyrenees just couldn't get along in our house with the other four. Pyrs don't like pointless insanity, and there's a fair bit of that around here. I bet most of us have seen the poster or the pillow or whatever, but our house really is maintained for the comfort and convenience of our dogs. We found Shiloh an excellent home where he's the sole dog and get lots of walks; he's living his perfect life. But I miss him. Amazing dog. Absolutely amazing.

On to our other four. Here's our oldest, Montana. Golden Retriever, a bit slow now at 13 years, but still a funny brat. Leave the pantry door open, and you'll know because you'll heat thwack-thwack-thwack as his tail hits the wall while he's happily selecting something to steal. He also grabs socks and loves for us to chase him around loudly pretending to be a) angry, and b) unable to catch him. He's a hoot.

DSC01284a.jpg

Next is our other Golden, Durango. He has a definite morning ritual. A couple of quick barks while he sits under the treat jar. Just so we don't forget. He's helpful that way. Late last year we discovered he had lymphoma, but there's a clinic here in Santa Fe that accomplished amazing things with him. He's now in complete remission, and acting like a puppy. Granted, he looks a little mangey at the moment. Pretty much everywhere he had to be clipped, the hair hasn't grown back yet. They say it will, but what's most important is that he's healthy and happy and still with us. He's a testament to how good dog food is these days, too. We switched over to 100% home cooked for him, and he let us know he didn't want to give up on kibble. Now, believe it or not, he's sick of fancy stuff and wants nothing but dry dog food! If we put an egg or some cottage cheese on his food, he eats around it until he can't avoid it. He's our survivor.

DSC00009a.jpg

Then there's this guy, Denali. Bernese Mountain Dog. So good-natured and goofy he makes the Goldens look like accountant auditors. Built like a mountain, too. He has this habit of poking with his nose. If he wants to get attention or check something out, he'll poke at you/it with his nose like a woodpecker sizing up a carving block.

DSC01286a.jpg

And then there's the nutcase. Sherman. AKA Dennis the Menace. This guy takes lovably goofy and turns it up to 11. On a slow day. Most days he turns it up to 12. He does this thing we call "Shermaning Out" where he'll find me (sometimes my wife, but 9 times out of 10 it's me for some reason) and stare, and then start barking and hopping around and just generally going nuts. The best response is to dash to a door and he and Denali tear outside and start wrestling. Sherman is the one we can't trust home alone. He once ate a Bible my mom had had for decades, among other misbehaviors. So we built a sort of barn door to gate off a little hallway and that's where he and Denali stay when we aren't home. I can tell from his body language in this picture that I could have started him Shermaning Out with very little provocation.

DSC01281a.jpg

The best part of the pandemic is that there's a been a radical shift in perceptions about working from home, so we get to spend a lot more time with these guys.

·
Registered
321 Posts
She knows how to do the ‘I’m adorable’ thing too.

View attachment 459769
We had to say goodbye to the Bonnie Beast on Wednesday. Over the summer she started to go lame in her rear legs. Ultra sound scans showed a spinal tumor that impacted her spinal cord, and nothing we could do about it. We made her last days as comfortable as possible: lots of canned food, treats on tap, and her last meal was an $18 ribeye.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Another Ruby.

View attachment 459727

Lab rescue Beagle. Buggers cut her vocal cords.
They do that to show beagles because of their constant baying. Some people find it annoying. I find it fun. My beagle can't be heard enough. My mother in law had a former show beagle that they cut her vocal cords(not my mother in law). That dog tried so hard to bay(beagles don't bark) that it passed gas every time and her poor little voice said waka waka. Jerks that mangle dogs should have to have that done to them.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Many moons ago my Golden Chow mix was diagnosed with a Luxating Patella, a condition where the ligament slips out of the groove in the kneecap. (common in many breeds and an indication is where the dog lies on it's belly with the legs straight out behind to help move the ligament back into position)

The dog was maybe 3 or 4 at the time and naturally the Vet advised that I spend 600 bucks on a surgery. I asked what the downside was if I let it be and the answer was that he would have arthritis when he got older. I told him that I would think about it and let him know and I walked out thinking...we ALL get arthritis when we get old.

Some 5 years later when we were at Purdue Veterinary school of medicine treating his bladder cancer I mentioned this to the Docs there. They examined his back leg and said that they saw no indication of a problem with the joint or ligament. The bone apparently repaired itself.

I hope that your beagle gets relief with the NSAIDS and that perhaps the condition can get better with rest.
We got a little brace for my beagle. It seems to help and we have taken her off the drugs and she doesn't wobble when she walks anymore.

·
Super Moderator
35,518 Posts
We had to say goodbye to the Bonnie Beast on Wednesday. Over the summer she started to go lame in her rear legs. Ultra sound scans showed a spinal tumor that impacted her spinal cord, and nothing we could do about it. We made her last days as comfortable as possible: lots of canned food, treats on tap, and her last meal was an $18 ribeye.
I am sorry to hear on Bonnie's passing. It's the hardest, right decision that we must make when it's time.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts