Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a great new Model 990 Tracker .22LR revolver. I went to the range and loaded a full cylinder of nine .22LR rounds, and let her rip; very accurate, with a great trigger, and every round reliably fired. ;D

Then I opened the cylinder to eject the empty shells. For all intents and purposes, the brass might as well as have been Super Glued in place, but I finally forced the shells out of their chambers with a cleaning rod (not easy), then lightly re-lubed the chambers and inserted an assortment of .22LR ammo (standard/target/high velocity).

I then fired the rounds, and then tried to extract. Same problem; the empties were not even CLOSE to being able to be ejected by the ejection star, and were tough to even force out with a cleaning rod. :mad:

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any tried-and-true suggestions as to how to get this Tracker to function properly? (Without sending it to Taurus, that is, and all of the shipping/time/frustration that all that entails). :???:

Thanks for any pointers!

-Bill

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
If I was you, I wouild make sure I have a 22lr brass brush, some good cleaner, and work every hole on the cylinder. It might even be a good Idea to use a drill and chuck a brush into it and polish out the holes. Only reason for the drill, would be I am to lazy to do it by hand.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
My 990 has been flawless. I did give it a thorough cleaning prior to firing it, and do the same after firing it. Hope yours works out for you. It's a great revolver.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sounds like the chambers need a good cleaning. You shouldn't lube the chambers, except as rust protection. Use a patch and jag to remove the lube before shooting.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Cleaning is clearly the first step. If that doesn't do it, then I think a trip back to the factory will be necessary to get the chambers honed properly. I once had a similar problem with a heavier revolver. Factory service was the answer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointers guys. I cleaned out all of the chambers with Hoppe's No. 9, then swabbed them out again to remove any left-over No. 9. The cylinder's chambers were now perfectly clean, and free of oil. I then fired the 990 with standard velocity rounds. Same result: Brass stuck, unable to extract spent shells. :(

Tomorrow I will try Robby's idea, but also use a mild abrasive polish to try and smooth out the chambers: I'm crossing my fingers, 'cause I really like this gun!

-Bill

Added; Thanks Steve48, but I don't like the cost of shipping, the time at the factory, and the general pain of mailing something out (especially a handgun); but if I can't get the 990 to work with a quick, simple (non-destructive) polishing, then I will have to do so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This may sound stupid because I took your posted info at face value but do me a favor and check to make sure that revolver is stamped .22 LR and NOT .22 Magnum.

Don't ask me why I suspect it could have a .22 Magnum cylinder in it. :eek:

p.s. Check to make sure none of the spent .22 LR brass is cracked or split.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ClemBert said:
This may sound stupid because I took your posted info at face value but do me a favor and check to make sure that revolver is stamped .22 LR and NOT .22 Magnum.

Don't ask me why I suspect it could have a .22 Magnum cylinder in it. :eek:

p.s. Check to make sure none of the spent .22 LR brass is cracked or split.
Thanks ClemBert, but after reading your post I tested by trying to fit a .22Mag cartridge into the 990's cylinder, and it would not fit at all.

Best,

-Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmmm, I'm stumped then. It was worth a shot anyways. Let us know what the solution is and what you think the problem is.

BTW, I have a Ruger Single Six with both a .22LR and a .22Mag cylinder. I forgot that I had left the magnum cylinder in it and went shooting with .22LR rounds. I fired six shots and it seems odd that the sound didn't sound quite right and I couldn't hit anything worth a darn. Some of the spent brass got hung up in that magnum cylinder similar to what you described. Turned out that the brass had either expanded too much or had even split and had to use a wood dowell to lightly tap those casings out.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Sir, if you decide to send it for repair. Talk to CS, because in the first year of purchasing it, Taurus should pick up the freight charges, to them and back.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Robby said:
Sir, if you decide to send it for repair. Talk to CS, because in the first year of purchasing it, Taurus should pick up the freight charges, to them and back.
+1

Taurus will pay for shipping in the first year. Just call them and they will have FedEx at your door the next day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Robby and DCPhoto: I didn't know that Taurus would pay for shipping in the first year.

Best,

-Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All,

Just in case anyone else has issues with the Taurus 990 in the future, here is how I (partially) solved the problem of the .22LR empties sticking within the Tracker's cylinder:

1. I wrapped 600 grit (wet/dry) red polishing paper around a .22 cal cleaning rod, with the final outside dimension of the paper making a snug fit for a .22LR chamber.

2. Placed some oil on the polishing paper.

3. Placed cleaning rod into the chuck of an adjustable speed drill.

4. Carefully, and at low drill speed, inserted the paper into one of the cylinder's chamber.

5. Drill still set to low speed, I also moved the cleaning rod back and forth within the chamber (i.e., the polishing paper was now both turning axially and being moved forward and backward within the chamber).

6. Did this for about one minute (or less) for each chamber.

7. Cleaned out all residual grit, then oiled and wiped clean each cylinder.

I then went to a safe area and fired nine .22LR rounds into some phone books. And here is where it gets kinda weird: As before, the extractor star still could not eject the spent shells (even though the extractor star moves quite freely when there are no fired cases in the cylinder).

Therefore, I thought "my" idea had failed.

However, I then tried to remove the spent cases with my finger nails: Where before it took a cleaning rod and quite a bit of force to pop them out, now after polishing the chambers the spent shells easily come out.

So, while I am very confused as to why the revolver's extractor cannot push out the fired empties, at least I now have a revolver that can fire more than nine shots without having to employ any tools to reload!

I go to the range tomorrow to fire (many) more rounds, and to more clearly and carefully check out my small cylinder modification and its effect on extraction…. :D

-Bill
ADDENDUM: Going to the shooting range today I fired 150 rounds of various 22LR ammo, and I found that now, after a small initial push of the extractor rod, all of the spent shells eject fine! After about 100 rounds things start to get a little tougher, but that is to be expected. (I may even try later to follow up my 600 grit chamber polishing job with 1000 grit to slicken up extraction even further...). So, I am happy that all is now well with my 990 Tracker!

ADDENDUM 2: Even after all of the above, I still had some residual and annoying extraction problems with my 990. As per Ricey and others, I found that the ammo I was using (Chinese -- duh!!) either has very filthy powder, which fouls the 22LR cylinder's chamber, and/or the lube on the bullet was problematic -- or the brass is too soft. Either way, I changed to quality American ammo, and all of the residual extraction problems completely disappeared. Further, I also now make sure to remove all lubrication from the cylinder's chambers as per DCPhoto, and that seemed to help too.

I now have 100% effortless extraction for up to a few hundred rounds!!

[I had, earlier, thought that testing multiple ammo brands through the 990 was an adequate test, but unfortunately I had not actually cleaned the 990's chambers between each 22LR brand during the test, so I had erroneously thought that the 990 had difficult extraction with ALL ammo. Well, it doesn't: smooth as silk!! Thanks again all!]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bill, try another brand of ammunition, some ammunition comes with a soft shell casing and will swell up too much and get stuck in the cylinder when fired , try another brand of ammo, i'm pretty sure thats the problem.

Ricey

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ricey said:
Bill, try another brand of ammunition, some ammunition comes with a soft shell casing and will swell up too much and get stuck in the cylinder when fired , try another brand of ammo, i'm pretty sure thats the problem.

Ricey
Thanks Ricey, but I had tried multiple types of .22LR ammo, including standard, target, and high velocity ammo. Some rounds were made in China, some in USA. All stuck like glue until I polished the (apparently rough) chambers...

Best,

-Bill

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Real happy it worked out for you. As mentioned, I like my 990 a lot. I'll put it up against any Smith which cost twice as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are going to laugh, but it works.

I had several people tell me this before I tied it,,,
Use toothpaste as a polishing agent on a .22 caliber mop.

It's abrasive enough to polish,,,
but not enough to enlarge the cylinder bore.

It truly worked on a Rossi I had that displayed the same problem.

Aarond

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ Bill

I just purchased a tracker 990 as well, unfortunately having the same issue!! whats your current status?
was thinking ammunition? any follow up would be great, thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts