Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got to Minnesota on Wednesday , first of two hospital visits Thursday, didn't get the answers we were hoping for. A few complications still lingering so probably looking at an additional surgery next week which means putting off the surgery that we made the trip for. Probably another trip back up here in the future for the main surgery once everything else heals. All this is speculation until we meet with the surgeon again on Monday, but all signs pointing that way.
Thursday night we drove into Minneapolis to the Mall of America.. WOW, I'm not a mall person but it was spectacular. Full amusement park inside and we rode a few of the roller coasters but my kids/wife are wimps and wouldn't ride the biggest one and I didn't want to ride solo.
Friday had more testing and removal of a few large polyps that were around the stomach area. All went well so we had the weekend free.

Not letting this get us down we made the drive to Winona MN to pick up my father-in-law who will be here for the week. From there we made scenic drive up 61, along the Mississippi River to the National Eagle Center. Being from Texas both these were a big deal for us. Were able to see a couple wild Eagles soaring across the river then they had 3 bald and 1 golden eagle at the center. Amazing creatures..

My wife does not like crossing bridges over large bodies of water so of course the kids wanted to drive across the bridge that put us in Wisconsin. Being from Texas we've never seen frozen lakes, well nothing more than a puddle anyway.

We stopped a little lake where people were ice fishing, never in my life I ever dreamed I be in this kind of environment. So me and my son walked out a bit on the lake while my wife freaked out that were we're sure to die.

All this may be normal everyday life for some of you but was a once in a lifetime experience for us.

1220141228a.jpg
1220141127a.jpg
1220141206b.jpg

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
Paul,

Sorry for the frustrations, but you are being blessed in other ways and seeing how another world lives. We both have friends who live up in that neck of the woods, and it is beautiful in the summer,, but makes even Lubbock feel like the tropics in the winter.

May God watch over your travels and your daughter and lay his healing hand on her.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Going what you go through sucks, but there is always a blessing in everything. You are going places you would have never gone to otherwise. May not be the ideal planned vacation, but not too far down the road, you realize it was still some quality time with the family even though of a different good quality.

Been there done that my friend. Keep strong, keep your chin up.

Reactions: Paul81

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah even though this is a trip for medical reasons and we would have NEVER planned a trip up here in the winter. It's been a great experience, seeing country we would have never seen, experiencing things we never imagined. Despite the less than ideal news we're having a blast.
My daughter is a warrior and this hasn't got her down in the least. Just another step on her ladder to success.

The weather hasn't been bad, yes it's a little chilly but so far not bad. Today's was in the low 30's and have yet to see snow, which is kinda a let down. But never fear snow is forecast for most of next week and highs barely hitting double digits late next week... So we may get the full experience yet :)

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
10,379 Posts
Sorry she suffered a minor setback, but, I'm glad it sounds like they've got a handle on it.

Wish I'd known you guys were venturing over into my neck of the woods! We're a couple hours from Minneapolis, would have been great to meet ya'll. Glad you got to see some amazing sights, I may complain about our winters but I'd never live anywhere else. WI/MN is beautiful, and especially so with a new blanket of snow.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe trip home!

Reactions: Paul81 and shiftace

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry she suffered a minor setback, but, I'm glad it sounds like they've got a handle on it.

Wish I'd known you guys were venturing over into my neck of the woods! We're a couple hours from Minneapolis, would have been great to meet ya'll. Glad you got to see some amazing sights, I may complain about our winters but I'd never live anywhere else. WI/MN is beautiful, and especially so with a new blanket of snow.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe trip home!
I thought about you today when we crossed over into Wisconsin.
All our outings have been kinda spur of the moment, not knowing our exact schedule with our daughter, we just plan as we go.

I'd love to see this country in the summer or fall, I'm sure it absolutely beautiful. Hoping to see it with a blanket of snow before we leave.

Not sure exactly when we're leaving, I have to be at work on Jan 5th. Ideally we can all drive home together, worst case me and my son are flying back Jan 1st. I'm not liking the idea of the wife and daughter driving back by themselves so we'll deal with that as it comes. My end up flying a family member out to drive back with them.

·
10,379 Posts
LoL no worries, I know how it goes. Enjoy your time and what adventure you can have. Hope they're able to get everything situated for her in time for everyone to head back home together!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Sorry to hear about the medical troubles. My wife is from MN. It is a beautiful part of the country. Never been there in winter though. You're more brave than I am! Enjoy your new experiences and I'll pray for good results.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Stay strong as you have through this. I feel ya'll are shrouded in goodness. Prayers sent. Tell her not to worry with those bridges. I close my eyes when crossing the long tall ones and I'm usually the only one in the car.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
Paul, thoughts and prayers continue to be sent...

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Hope things change for the better soon Paul. I have been enjoying your trip and I love the pictures. Have a Merry Christmas and a safe trip.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Want me to tell you the crazy part?

They're expecting more snow back in Lubbock than we're going to be getting up here in Minnesota

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally back at the ol homestead in Lubbock, man that a long drive.

I mentioned picking up my father-in-law.. He ended up flying back to Arkansas instead of the train he took to get to Minnesota. We couldn't get him a flight until Christmas day. So, Christmas morning we drove him the 70 or so miles (the wrong direction) into Minneapolis and didn't get on the road till noon. We took a different route home so we could see a few things along the way.
We drove what seemed like forever and ended up stopping in Salina Kansas for the night. We had every intention of stopping in Dodge City and in Liberal Kansas, but when we got to that point we just wanted to get home. All we stopped for was fuel and bathroom breaks.

All and all we traveled to 8 States and right at 3000 miles. It was an amazing trip besides the less than desirable outcome at Mayo.
The most amazing part is after me, the wife and 2kids being together 24/7 in a car or hotel for 11days.... We're still talking to one another.

·
22,071 Posts
Hi Paul, thank God for modern medicine! And for family that gets along!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Paul, thank God for modern medicine! And for family that gets along!
Nobody said we got all along, just that no one was seriously injured along the way :) although a few times I wasn't sure one or both kids would make it back.
A 10 and 14 yr old in the back seat of a Tahoe made for some stressful moments. :) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts