Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as in, send me a label or something?

My 850 CIA stopped cycling on dry-firing with snap caps. Trigger won't go all the way back, cylinder free spins but does open when released. I can probably fix it; will likely open it up to see what happened, but am wondering if I decide to send it in, whether Taurus will pay for both ways? If it's a small part, I'll just request they mail it to me.

Any positive feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance and a good weekend to all!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If the handgun is less than a year old, Taurus will pick up the shipping both ways.

They'll send a FedEx courier by your residence with a box and a form to fill out, then they'll ship it overnight to Taurus in Miami.

I recommend that you contact Taurus customer service and explain what's going on. You have a lifetime warranty on the gun...might as well take advantage of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that. It's right around a year; will have to look for the paperwork. I'm hoping it's a spring or something minor, but it shouldn't be happening with so little use.

Thanks for the info.!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Keep us posted on the outcome of this situation.

They may send you a part, if that's all that it needs...but, most of the time Taurus requires you to send the firearm to them so their technicians can do the repairs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads-up, even if it's not what I want to hear. If I have to pay for shipping back and forth, the initial deal starts to worsen...

Shame, really, I was about to boast about how well it did earlier this week with some +Ps. Of a 10rd 5 yd group with 125gr JHP +Ps, there are 4 holes "clover leafing."

I'll post back after there's a resolution.

·
Registered
32,028 Posts
Yes-sir, if your purchase was within the first year of warranty. After that, they fix it but you pick up the shipping tab, which a round trip ticket to Miami is about $60 with UPS or Fed-EX. So, there may be times you can pay a Gunsmith $30 for a minor repair. He may want you to order the parts.

The one real Achilles heal of Taurus is not just a real easy system to use, and they won't sell any firing, sear or trigger parts. I had a great experience my self with the one order I placed, which was for a couple of recoil springs for a PT145. The cap had popped off the end of the original one. PT145 still worked but didn't look good so I ordered a replacement and a spare. That was $7 shipping and $7 each on the springs, $ 21 total. On a simple fix, that even if a newbie owns the pistol, if he can't replace a recoil spring, he doesn't need to own the gun. Sure, I could have spent $7 sending in the old one and then only paying $14 for the shipping and the extra spring and been where I was anyway. This way I got to keep the PT145 in service.

Like I said, I had no problems with Taurus on Parts myself. I've been on the Forum nearly 4 years and read the bulk of the complaints.

This past year has shown a vastly lower rate of complaints as opposed to three and four years ago. But there are still inherent problems on obtaining parts for discontinued guns, and I mean discontinued only a year earlier. and there have been some times on current popular models when parts like a safety have broken and it has taken over three months to get a replacement safety lever for a 3rd Generation PT140. You lose some customers that way, Taurus lost a customer over the PT140, never to return.

I think whoever was running Taurus at that time was pushing out a lot of new models and the company was being very innovative. I like innovation in a company, I really do, but I'd like to see them slow down the roll out enough to get the bugs out, and when they find a bug, put production of proper replacement parts on the front burner for handguns already in circulation, rather than sending them to new assembly to ship out more retail product.

I understand there is also a new person Running the Miami division and he has made many changes. I still would like to have a simple point and click website for ordering parts like Bersa has or Numriche E-gun parts and possibly any other gun company in the modern era.

I know that was more information than any one wanted, but there is definitely room to improve.

Taurus lost a customer over that one

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If there is any way you can open it up that would be good. Definitely sounds like the cylinder stop is not engaging, maybe the hand spring popped out. Make sure if you open it you do so in a box or some where if parts fall out like a tiny spring you'll trap them. Trigger and Hammer parts are on the restricted list. Do you have gun smithing screwdrivers?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This post was a general inquiry about Taurus Customer Service and not one gunsmithing question was asked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the sideplate and the transfer bar was broken in half, with the lower half wedged behind the trigger (hence, the reason it wouldn't go all the way back). I also noticed the back end of the firing pin (where hammer hits) is a bit flared, anyone know if this is normal??? It did function fine just a couple of days before the incident.

So, after quite a few minutes waiting to speak to a nice young lady down in Florida, she agreed to send me a new transfer bar and firing pin, just in case the latter is damaged. If these parts don't work, and I don't see why they wouldn't, I'll send it in for service. I took a few pics, but don't have time to format and post them now.

Oh, lastly, found my paperwork and the money order was sent to Bud's Guns on 02/24/2011 (EXACTLY one year ago) and picked up at the FFL's on 03/15. So, assuming the parts show up in the stated 7-10 days And don't prove successful, I may still have time to send back within a year of having taken possession of it...hope Not!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts