Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't really know rifles and just came into a Mauser 98 Federal Ordnance 308. Looking for info on the sites. If the markings are meters or yards and a couple of parts. The cleaning rod and bayonet.
As far as I can tell these things were orig 8mm and were reworked in the 80s so I'm not sure if they have any collector value.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some more research I have the early version of the Mauser 98. The blot is straight. I've found stripper clips and cleaning rod. Still looking for bayonet and a forum that is dedicated to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 2 mauser's in 8mm, one is German, the other is Turkish. The German one has been sporterized and the Turkish is one I am in the process of making into a sport rifle too. I don't know of any forums dedicated to these rifles but would be interested if you find one. I like the 8mm cartrige and have have been hunting with it for close to 30 yrs (it belonged to my dad before I got it). Glad you found the parts you were looking for. Have fun and be safe....Merry Christmas and Happy new year.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
When you get to talking about military Mauser bolt actions, there are a million different variations out there because most of Europe (and the rest of the world at one time or the other, for that matter) used them. To be able to tell what you have, you're going to have to do some research. Mauser made these gun to the specs of the country ordering them and every country wanted something a little different. The differences can be VERY minor at times.

Heck, at one time there were 3 different countries (Portugal, Greece and Sweden, if I remember correctly) just in Europe that were using a Mauser chambered in a 6.5mm cartridge and none of the cartridges were interchangeable. Whole wars have been fought with nothing but Mausers being used by both sides. That's how prevalent they were. Not all are Mauser made guns either. The Czechs (Brno) and the Swedes (Huskvarna) both had contracts to build them and there may have been others (the Belgians, too, maybe? Or they may have done that post WW2 but I have seen Belgian Mausers). For example, all the Persian '98 long rifles (WWI style) that came on the market back around '95 were Czech made and had never been issued since their production in the '30's.

I know the Spanish used a '96 (?) Mauser rechambered from 8mm into .308 for the Guardia for a long time. It was a short rifle or carbine with a turned down bolt- I don't remember which at the moment. They came onto the surplus market back in the mid '90's. Israel also rechambered a lot of the guns they got back in the late '40's into .308 after it was adopted. Since the Israelis were mostly getting battle field pickups and whatever else they could lay their hands on from the world arms market, there's literally no telling what the original nation of origin may have been, although a lot of what they ended up with were 98k's originally in 8x57.

Rechambering was pretty common. My Portuguese Mauser started life in a 6.5mm but was barrelled and chambered for 8x57 later on. (I still kick my self for not picking up a Colombian Mauser in .30-'06 back then but I didn't like the steel cup style butt plate they came with.) The Portuguese swapped over to 8mm back in the '40's because they could get materiel from the Nazis- even though they were neutral during WW2- and later the Spanish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are also large and small ring mausers...Like jtg stated, it is harder than heck to find out what mauser you have unless some serious research is done. I don't know much about my Turkish mauser, except it is a lg. ring version. My German one I pretty well know that one's history, considering my dad brought it home with him at the end of WWII.

Reactions: sparks9293

·
32,575 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you quiks draw. I signed up for the forum, it looks like it has some pretty good information on everything surplus related.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Spent a good deal of time last night one the various sites and youtube. Ready to go pick up cleaning rod and beads/bore snake and take this thing all the way down for a good cleaning. Only on spot with rust that I can see so far. It's tiny in the corner of the ring that the site mounts on. So it's pretty clean but as always I'm going to tear it apart and clean it before going to the range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Mauser K98 is the greatest design to ever be drawn in steel... I have two both are great guns, but one that will always be mine....I sporterized it....curved the bolt handle to use easier when my right wrist is out on me... it is chambered in 8MM ... it is a German Mauser K-98, and I have another one VZ-24.........30-06 that is a solid rifle that was sporterized I am selling... I love the 8MM Mauser round also.... really not apprecitated like it should be appreciated in America.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We just got one in at work that I'm thinking about taking home. The stock is kinda rough and needs a good cleaning but for less than a $100 bill, it might be worth it

·
Registered
29,776 Posts
Never having owned a rife I'll have to learn proper maintenance. Figure it will be very similar to a pistol just not sure how far to go on the receiver.
There is a lever on top, in the back by the bolt, if you pull the lever you will get the bolt out the back. Then clean all the way though! Enjoy the Mauser, they are great rifles!

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Im my opinion, there is no need for a bolt-action rifle besides the 98 Mauser, just like there is no need for a semi-auto handgun besides the 1911.

My personal Mauser started out as a is a Yugo made for the Syrian army. It is 7.92x57 (aka 8mm). I have thought about having it rebarralled to .308, but hesitate since it is so accurate in it;s current form.

I have spent about $400 "sporterizing" it. I thought I had a photo of it in this computer, but can't find it.

There were two versions of the Guardia Civil. One was made from a Modl 93 and the other from a model 98. The Model 96 was Swedish and the 95 was Chilean.

Most of my life, I have owned some version of a 7x57 Mauser, although I don't have one now. That is my favorite caliber.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Anyone got any opinions on the Spanish Mausers? The one I'm thinking about buying has "Fabrica de Armas, La Coruma and 1958" stamped on it

·
Administrator
17,919 Posts
OP: Got pics?

Have seen many Mausers in 7.62x51mm NATO.

The Israeli's had their 98K conversions and Mauser made up some 98K American Eagle Sporters back in the late 1980's, which to me are priceless!

Anyone got any opinions on the Spanish Mausers?
Have the metallurgy checked for hardness. Most were good, but not all.

I also love Mausers. Have a Custom Fajen Stocked 98 Sporter and a German Made 95 Scout Rifle Sporter Conversion in 7x57mm.

Also have an InterArms Commercial British made Mauser Sporter and Sporterized Columbian Mauser in .30/06. Great Rifles!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the heads up jwc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts