Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one peaked my interest, due to the fact that I always wanted an Uzi, or Mac 10. Anyone know about this company???

Masterpiece Arms MPA 30T-a CATEGORY MN Misc Pistols

This Masterpiece Arms MPA30-TA is a semi-auto pistol that fires the .9mm round. It has a matte black finish and a 5 1/4" threaded barrel. This brand new pistol comes with one 32-round magazine and uses Sten magazines. This pistol is a Mac 11 clone. Lots of accessories are available and in stock for this pistol

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
A close friend had a Mac-10 while we were growing up and unfortunately, we couldn't get it to feed reliably regardless of the ammo we attempted to use in conjunction with it.

In regards to Masterpiece Arms I haven't heard any pros or cons regarding their products but would hope they'd have more reliable Macs than my friends, unless he just happened to get a lemon.

If you have a little extra to spare though the IMI Uzis are hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
im of the opinion that if it's not a FA mac then throw it back..

seriously the design was ment to be economical, you can still get FA mac's for about 2.5k-3.5k

and thats really it's strength.. as a semi model i dont see any real point in it, and ya feeding is a known issue.. but i think it is usually the magazines there are a lot of cheap knock off mags floating around for the mac.

i dont personally know anytihng about masterpiece arms, but it looks from the picture to be a decent copy *shrugs* if you find a good deal on one i say go for it.

how much are they wanting for one anyway? i know original mac's the semi's still go for like 1k

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were in the $300 to 600 range depending on the model, barrel, rails and other stuff. Even had a carbine model with 16" barrel.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've noticed that there are a few of them on gunbrokers for around $400. Haven't seen one close up yet. The majority of the weapon looks stamped, which in many instances isn't a bad thing just a cheap way of getting it done. Are the ones you are looking at made by Cobray or another manufacturer? If you pick one up give us a report. I have a mild interest in a 9mm carbine and haven't ruled out anything yet.

·
32,647 Posts
Don't ya know that the a number of subguns out there had magazines copied closely, if not entirely, the STEN submachinegun magazine with it's double column magazine, but single column feed. That system has been known as unreliable and jam prone for decades.

MACs and their brethren ( different companies went bankrupt that made the MAC and their clan) have that in common with the STEN of British fame.

So it's decendants would suffer from the same maladies as the older ones.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it was just a thought. I saw them in a brokers site, and found their main site and took a look. They want too much for the carbine, the plain top action 6" is Ok price wise, but too many variables to look reliable. Think I will pass on looking any further.

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Mac 10's and 11's and their clones are not particularly reliable as a general rule. What turned me off to them was a Shooting Buddy of mine had one fire slightly out of battery (i.e. the Bolt was not fully closed when it fired) and the 9mm case ruptured sending gas out the ejection port. No one was harmed, but it got his attention!

If the newer manufacturer has made design improvements to prevent this, and improve feed reliability, then these might be worth a look. If not, spend your money elsewhere!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
hmm ya that does'nt sound to pleasant jwc, however i agree if they fixed that then 300-400 bucks does'nt sound like such a bad deal after all hell i'd maybe even buy one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Having had some experience (many, many years ago) with the original Sten, I can tell you it was probably the biggest POS manufactured durring the war years with the possible exception of a few Stalingrad specials that were made under extreme duress. As Quiks Draw mentioned, the majority of the side loaded Stens' problems were magazine related. If I were going to manufacture a new weapon I'd try to find something a bit better to model it after. Kind of like building a new car and using the Yugo as a template.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From personal experience: Just traded a FN FAL for several other guns, including a Masterpiece Arms MAC 9mm. After all the comments I had read about this type of gun, I really just thought it would be a gun to profile with. Took the MAC and several other pistols out to the range today. I'm not a competition shooter, but not too bad, but I didn't really expect to hit much with the MAC. First time ever shooting one. Fired 4 mags worth (100 rds). Surprise, at 15 yards fully half were in 3" groups with half of those in the bullseye. None of the other pistols did that well. Personally........I like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts