Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a couple of oldies this week. Marlin No. 18 and a Colt Huntsman. This Baby Featherweight .22 Repeater weighs in at 3 lbs., 7.7 ounces.

Not much on the inerwebs, but I did find this ad.

This is going to be a fun one to play with.

·
Super Moderator
37,204 Posts
Sweet find! Is it configured for 22LR? "The ammo is cheap"...oh for the old days.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet find! Is it configured for 22LR? "The ammo is cheap"...oh for the old days.
Just got off the phone with my cousin in Edgewood, NM. He said .22's were going $20 for a box of 50 at the local Cabela's.

Have yet to cycle any ammo through it, but I'm thinking it sports a long rifle elevator.

·
Super Moderator
37,204 Posts
Just got off the phone with my cousin in Edgewood, NM. He said .22's were going $20 for a box of 50 at the local Cabela's.

Have yet to cycle any ammo through it, but I'm thinking it sports a long rifle elevator.
and to think that I was turning my nose up at any in bulk that were much over a nickle per round.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is one of the more interesting turn of the century designs. Many of the features it possesses make for a quality, well crafted repeater of diminutive stature. Overall length is at 37''. A steel crescent heel plate is mounted to a plain American walnut stock. A tang thumb screw allows for easy stock removal.

A simple walnut forend allows good purchase for 2'' stroking of its trombone action. Side plate is mounted with a thumb screw.

The magazine is an interesting fixed mechanism. No chance of losing a the inner magazine tube while afield with this one.

The 20'' tapered octagon barrel retains plenty of that good old Ballard rifling. Its fixed sights can be drifted fore and aft.

Here's a look with the side plate removed.

·
22,942 Posts
Very cool old walnut and steel 22 rifle!

Now tell/show us more about the Colt!

Reactions: Lomax and jwc007

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
Very nice pick up on both! :cool: Congratulations and may they both serve you well! :)

Also wanting to hear more about that Colt, but you should post that in the "Other Handguns" section of the Forum!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool old walnut and steel 22 rifle!

Now tell/show us more about the Colt!
The Huntsman is in need of TLC. It'll need further study and a new recoil spring before I mess with it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This little gun was pretty clean to start with, which is a plus considering its age. Screw heads are unmarred, but in some point in time the short cartridge carrier had been replaced with the LR version. Problems during the installation are evident. Lots of Bubba hammer mechanicing took place inside and out.

I'm not taking this one apart. I dunked the receiver into the ultra sound for some serious deep cleaning.
Scrubbing didn't reveal a pristine bore, but most of the old Ballard rifling remains.

Both sides of the stock is covered in what looks to be white paint spatter and checked finish.

Not sure where to go from here, but the specks are unsightly.

Reactions: YOT

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Congrats on your recent find.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Super Moderator
37,204 Posts
Maybe 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol can clean it up some and retain some original patina?

That pin on the receiver took a (literal) beating. How does that happen?

Reactions: Lomax
1 - 12 of 12 Posts