Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this one up last week. It was a little beat up, but not too bad. Usual use scratches, filthy action, missing bullseye and a bit of surface rust on the barrel. I took the rifle down to just the receiver and barrel. Soaked all the parts in Ed's Red and scrubbed them the next day. I gave the barrel a thorough cleaning and polished the surface rust off using 0000 steel wool, touched up the blueing and gave it a couple of coats of car wax. I replaced the original sights with a set from Skinner Sights. I stripped the wood down using Citri-Strip, cleaned it up with mineral spirits, installed a new bullseye, I sanded everything down, used four coats of Tung Oil for the finish and then several coats of Butchers wax. I finished getting it back together yesterday and started reloading for it today. The wood finish is not a high gloss, but more of a satin and closely resembles the original.

I believe it was made in 1980.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
Congrats on your new to you and renewed lever gun. Very nice.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Super Moderator
36,040 Posts
Nice JOB!! She is gorgeous now. I keep thinking of Skinner sights for my 44 magnum, but don't want to have to mess with the front sight elevation so I keep using the semi-buckhorn OEM sight.

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice JOB!! She is gorgeous now. I keep thinking of Skinner sights for my 44 magnum, but don't want to have to mess with the front sight elevation so I keep using the semi-buckhorn OEM sight.
My 1894 .44 mag. is wearing a Williams fire sight set with an aperture rear and Fiber optic front sight.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Wow, nice lookin' fahr-arm ya got there. I really enjoyed restoring an old Stevens single shotgun, so I know what that 375 means to you. I think now that I'm gonna hafta find another neglected orphan somewhere and adopt another one.

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, nice lookin' fahr-arm ya got there. I really enjoyed restoring an old Stevens single shotgun, so I know what that 375 means to you. I think now that I'm gonna hafta find another neglected orphan somewhere and adopt another one.
I'm always on the lookout for fixer uppers, especially leverguns.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job on a nice heater. That is a beauty. I am not familiar with that round. What is comparable?
Off the top of my head I suppose I might compare it to the .38-55. I know Winchester once chambered their Model 94 Big Bore for this cartridge and of course Marlin made the 375 for a few years. There's not a big following for it so there aren't many choices for factory ammo. Buffalo Bore sells a 255gr. load that pushes that bullet to 2,000 FPS and Winchester sells one that pushes a 200gr. bullet to 2,200 FPS. I've been loading my own so I haven't even tried the factory stuff.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Off the top of my head I suppose I might compare it to the .38-55. I know Winchester once chambered their Model 94 Big Bore for this cartridge and of course Marlin made the 375 for a few years. There's not a big following for it so there aren't many choices for factory ammo. Buffalo Bore sells a 255gr. load that pushes that bullet to 2,000 FPS and Winchester sells one that pushes a 200gr. bullet to 2,200 FPS. I've been loading my own so I haven't even tried the factory stuff.
That is a big hunk of lead moving mighty fast. Thanks for the info.

·
22,301 Posts
Absolutely love it. I'm at the point where I'll take an older gun with a bit of honest character like that over a new modern gun or even a time capsule NIB from decades ago. You did a great job with that one.

·
Administrator
17,816 Posts
Very very Nice! :cool: You did a great job restoring it! :smile:

Many years ago, I had a similar Marlin in .45-70, and I probably should have kept it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check into Ranger Point Precision They have an excellent peep sight for the marlin that you don't have to mess with the front sight. That's the way I went.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My front sight also came from Skinner and was an easy replacement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts