Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a Marlin 66, it needs work. I want to test fire it, would 25 yards away be far enough also will model 60 parts fit the 66

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
To my knowledge Marlin never made a model 66. They did make a Foremost 6660 that sold through JC Penny's years ago. If that's the rifle, it's just a rebranded model 60 Marlin.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
But there are several minor variations on the Model 60 over the years. All Model 60's are not exactly the same and all parts are not interchangeable from one gun to another. You will see some parts listed as for "old" or "new" production rifles. No one has ever definitively identified the break point between old and new.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, with my old eyes I probably thought the 0 was a 6, serial number indicates it was made in 1989, others that I have asked confirmed it's a 60 and the butt plate says Marlin.

·
Super Moderator
35,537 Posts
And, I always test .22s at 25 yards, though 50 yards is good, too.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
getting back to the second part of my post is 25 yards a safe distance to test fire

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Native, just got your reply

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Is it possible your gun is a nylon 66? If so it is a Remington and not a Marlin. It has no connection with the Marlin model 60 and parts will not interchange.

If I had my druthers I'd rather have the Nylon 66 than the Marlin 60. The Nylon guns are worth more and seem to go up in value at a steady rate.

Don

Reactions: MoMan

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Safe? I don’t see why not. I’ve fired my .22 rifles many times at our local indoor 25yd range. It’s allowed, if not encouraged, and many others do as well. I have two m60s, one from the late 60’s and one just a few years old. Just from a visual observation, there’s lots of stuff that won’t interchange.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
Safe is a relative term. My BIL found one sticking out of the dirt in a turned over corn field. the wood had rotted away and he had an action, bolt and barrel. He cleaned it up, plugged the barrel and chrome plated everything. In the cleanup he found it was an old Stevens single shot bolt action 22. he found a synthetic stock and after cleaning the barrel, he still shoots it for S&Gs. I think it shoots Minute of side of barn at 50 yards.

Reactions: rollin thunder

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I've one of the old 99 M2's. It resembles an M1 carbine in style with a box magazine. I've found some old/new stock 15 round magazines that fit and work. I wish I knew who made them. The 795 magazines in 25 rounds work as well, but too long.

I've always been fond of Marlin products.

Maloy

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
I've one of the old 99 M2's. It resembles an M1 carbine in style with a box magazine. I've found some old/new stock 15 round magazines that fit and work. I wish I knew who made them. The 795 magazines in 25 rounds work as well, but too long.

I've always been fond of Marlin products.

Maloy
I could never jump on the 10/22 bandwagon. To me, the older Marlins and even the Marlin-Glenfields were the go to 22LR rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts