Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there is a Marlin 60 owner here, my request has to do with feeding and ejection, I can get 5 or 6 shots before this happens. It's a 1989 model I am not sure if I need to rebuild the action assembly or the breech bolt or both or even save up for a new gun, which will be very difficult for me, any suggestions.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
5-6 before what happens?

Reactions: xcaliber

·
Super Moderator
35,591 Posts
The FIRST thing to do is a thorough cleaning, bolt out, etc. I've cleaned jamamatics before (not a Marlin....yet) and had 'em running like a Swiss watch after getting 40 years of crud out of 'em. Amazing what can build up in a .22 rifle and owners never seem to clean 'em. Amazing.

And, pick up a can of break free powder blast. It's awesome for such problems.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
There was an issue with the "lift block" and "lift arm" in a lot of these. I've got a 1980 model and
ended up having to replace both parts. It's not a bad job an the parts are inexpensive.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: xcaliber

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
The FIRST thing to do is a thorough cleaning, bolt out, etc. I've cleaned jamamatics before (not a Marlin....yet) and had 'em running like a Swiss watch after getting 40 years of crud out of 'em. Amazing what can build up in a .22 rifle and owners never seem to clean 'em. Amazing.

^^^This^^^ I'd start here. I can't tell you how many .22 rifles I've purchased that looked like they've never been cleaned in fifty years. It's amazing how dirty they get in little time.

·
Registered
15,420 Posts
In the marlin 60's I've seen problems with the lift block, lift arm, buffer and recoil spring breaking. All of those parts are cheap. I would start with a tear down and complete cleaning. Cleaning a 40 year old rifle may be the best and most cost effective fix you could have. I actually prefer the Marlin 60 (or any one of the 2 dozen or so rebranded, renamed variants) to the Ruger 10/22. They were just good solid rimfire rifles capable of hitting quarters at 75 yards with generic ammo. I've owned 2 of them and really need to get another one.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for your replies, went to you tube for disassembly info and cleaned every nook and cranny I could find even the holes for extractors, so it's clean. Also saw what's involved in taking down the action assembly at my age I don't think I should tackle it, I did replace the recoil spring, rear sight, gun was given to me so some family member will probably want it. I have a Mossberg 702 I bought new some years back with 25 rd. mags great shooter, thanks again to all.

Reactions: NativeTexan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts