Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PT1911 & I have to part company.
Well as much as I love this gun it has to go. The only problem is the market place seems to be anti Taurus.

Why is it that a gun that I find to be better then any thing available in the $900 & under price range does not have people interested in it on the used market at well under $500?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea, sorry to hear you have to part. I am new to 1911A! style pistols and I love my PT1911. The guys on several of the 1911 forums are the ones scaring everyone out of purchasing. Those dedicated to other makes at twice the price can't get over their ego's, or maybe they are just mad they spent 2+X as much and their pistol has alot of issues. Try listing it at Gunbroker.com with good pics, as Taurus increased their MSRP by $100 recently. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not hear that Taurus increased the MSRP by $100 on the PT1911.
Where did you get that?

·
32,572 Posts
Someone here might be interested in taking that off your hands, but you have 8 posts to go before the board to sell firearms comes up. Or are you joking? :)

Taurus cannot keep up with the demand for these. There's a back order is some places.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1783.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=898.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2101.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2223.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2229.0

And that's just for starters.

Wouldn't be yanking our chain per chance? ;)

Even the forums where negative posting about Taurus products takes place are having severe turn arounds when the actual owners chime in. Bashers are taking a beating with fact and truth. Not to say there aren't exceptions.

This is an eclectic bunch of staff and members here. Almost all belong to many other forums and know what goes on out there. ;D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, Qwiks draw, I'm ready to bash the Taurus and await your rebuttal

It took six rounds to adjust to the sights. It doesn't matter that this was the first time I've ever shot anything with Heine sights.

I didn't like the grips and had to spend a whole $20 on a set of Hogue wraparounds I liked.

Ammo costs for demos that start with "Is that a Taurus? How does it shoot?"

Having to stand by humbly a listen to the guy with the tricked out Kimber tell me what a great pistol he had, how much it cost and what a great shooter it was. Since I was shooting a Taurus I couldn't mention that my 3" groups (danged flyer) at 15 yards looked a little better than his 8" groups at 10 yards.

Too many people who actually own them and say good things about them. Pushes up the price people are asking.

Keeps me from buying that Kimber Custom II, I'd been eyeing for a while.

·
Registered
276 Posts
sig-9 said:
PT1911 & I have to part company.
Well as much as I love this gun it has to go. The only problem is the market place seems to be anti Taurus.
I don't mean to be rude, but is this a joke? Why make a descision based upon what other people in the market place thinks about Taurus? I mean, I would understand if the gun was a hunk of junk and couldn't be fixed, so you were going to dump it, but tossing out the gun because others are anti-Taurus? ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No,

I need to sell it and there seems to be no market for the Taurus PT1911. That is all I was saying.
On the used market, there is no interest in a very good gun and it seems to be the word TAURUS in the 1911 world.

·
32,572 Posts
8 more posts brings the Firearms board up where you can post firearms for sale. The board doesn't become apparent until the 10th post and then you will see it. That was in the rules somewhere. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
sig-9 said:
No,

I need to sell it and there seems to be no market for the Taurus PT1911. That is all I was saying.
On the used market, there is no interest in a very good gun and it seems to be the word TAURUS in the 1911 world.
I am glad that I misunderstood. I apologize if I came across harshly.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I wanted to get rid of my Ruger P97, but Ruger semi-autos aren't particularly popular and some think they are just junk. So I was a bit miffed about the fact that I couldn't get anything over $150 for it. Here was a good gun, but because it was a Ruger semi it was crap! ::) Any way, I got what I could and used that money towards my Taurus PT1911 which is definately an upgrade from the P97, but still "crap" to the less educated. I wish I had a dime for everytime I have heard friends of mine complain about their Springfields, Smith and Wessons, Colts, etc. I would be rich! You'd think that some of these guys who buy guns are women looking for namebrand dresses! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
A bad reputation seems to live forever. When people notice I'm shooting a Taurus, I've gotten a couple of stories about a revolver that wasn't well made and gave lots of trouble a very long time ago, so Taurus now makes junk. Even if the new ones are well-made, the reputation has some folks looking for trouble. When they find a problem, it's "see, I knew that would happen."

I didn't know that Ruger centerfire semiautos had a bad reputation. I have two MKIII's, a single six and a GP100. All four are well-made, accurate, reliable, etc, etc handguns. I'd expect the centerfires to be similarly well-made. The couple I've fired shot well. There was something about the feel that didn't excite me. Personal preference.

The more I read, the less sure I am on the definition of a quality pistol. My definitions are pretty simple. (1) it has to perform the firing cycle with very few problems; (2) Parts don't fail, fall off, wear significantly or break without a lot of use or abuse and (3) I can shoot it with a reasonable degree of accuracy. As far as I can tell, the PT1911 does all that. Feels good, better with the grip change. It's easy to acquire the target, see the front sights and get the pistol aimed. The trigger is good to excellent. Shoots the cheapest ammo I can find well. The only way to determine how it holds up long term is to keep on shooting it. So far, it has done darned well meeting my basic standards.

·
Registered
276 Posts
greener said:
I didn't know that Ruger centerfire semiautos had a bad reputation. I have two MKIII's, a single six and a GP100. All four are well-made, accurate, reliable, etc, etc handguns. I'd expect the centerfires to be similarly well-made.
I have been told many times by "those in the know" (aka "gun snobs") that Ruger semi-auto products are a crap shoot. Usually the first point of evidence is the price point of Ruger semi-autos with the follow up of "How can they make a quality product and sell it so cheap?" Then the stories start being told of the P85 accuracy problems, and the P95 ejector problems causing jams, and the P97 sending empties straight up into the forehead of the shooter, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! :p Gosh, I remember these same people thinking that Glocks were crappy disposable guns because they were made of "plastic"! Now they can't enough of polymer frames, everyone is doing it! LOL!

OK, time to get off my soap box and take some blood pressure meds. ;D

·
Registered
34 Posts
sig-9

how much do you want for it?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sig-9 go make 3 more posts real quick and then check the main forum page and you will see the for sale section at the bottom. Start a thread to sell the PT1911 with pictures and price and Im sure someone here will take it off your hands if the price is right.

·
32,572 Posts
I kind of figured that was why he came here anyway. :) Starting off the way the thread did was kind of a giveaway. Could be wrong. :) Though with the bias against Taurus, I can see why he would come to the conclusion he did.

And folks,nice posts in reply. The Ruger and other posts just underscore the bias problem towards any good product.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The 1911 crowd are the elitests of the gun loby. They really believe John Browning should have stopped making guns after he reached "perfection." That said, most of these guys are used to buying guns and then spending the price of the gun on the very upgrades that Taurus has included on the PT1911.

I am guessing from my reading that Kimber had a hard time when they first introduced their first 1911's because they were "loaded" and had "MIM" parts. I'd love to know how many years it took them to gain acceptance.

Add to that the history of inexpensive auto's that Taurus has produced. And the enormous number of these guns on the market. If Taurus put a 1 year waranty like Kimber on their guns, Taurus' Customer Service would probably be as easy to get as Kimbers. Springfield has a lifetime (of the original owner) waranty... so a used Springfield has no waranty. A used Taurus still carries a full factory waranty... so their are just a lot more opportunities for returns than any other manufacturer.

But the simple truth is that we are not going to change people's minds by quoting facts to them. I've even read some of the most absurd comments by people who claim to have actually handled or shoot the PT1911.

No market for the PT1911? Well... mostly because you can buy a new one for the price of any used one... unless you want to just give the gun away. BTW have you guys checked the Firearms Classified? Maybe that's what the Sig guy wants to do!!! See you there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Kimber and the Taurus PT1911. Can't see myself parting with either one. All the $2000 gun snobs who rip the Taurus have most likely never been within 20' of one.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The common term in the 1911 forums being applied is "a good entry level 1911" however owners definitely do not see that. I would agree that the guy will probably have a hard time making money off his PT1911 when they are plentiful and still being marketed well below the market. However, it is also obvious that the guy isn't a shooter.

I have been following the M1911 forum in their Taurus section... and the moderators are extremely biased. It is common for disparaging remarks like Taurus=POS, or Taurus=junk to be allowed, but any remark about a Kimber or other brands will be you a warning and a "penalty point"... I though "demerits" went out with the 60's?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The 1911 forum I first started reading, before coming here, was so incredibly biased against the PT1911 that I finally decided not to even read their boards anymore.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to have a favorite gun manufactuer, but I don't think it is OK to become irrationally biased against a gun maker and there are too many such people on the 1911 forum. Some of those people have never even looked at a Taurus PT1911 and they go off about what a piece of crap it is. When you ask how they came to that conclusion, it is generally because they know a friend who has a friend who knows a smithy whose friend said that he shot one and it crumbled in his hands down to the frame which promptly split into two and gave the poor man a metal splinter on his shooting finger! :yipee: I know that is an exaggeration, but it is pretty close to the tripe I have read. I have never read so many irrational and out right deragatory remarks about a product as I have read about the PT1911! Simply amazing! /climbs off of :soapbox:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts