Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,434 Posts
I don't quite understand all the comments about not being able to see what was behind the fence. The cop hit the guy, right? How did he hit the guy if he didn't know what he was shooting at?

I'm making no determination without any of the facts, but it sure seems some of the speculation just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
706 Posts
I don't quite understand all the comments about not being able to see what was behind the fence. The cop hit the guy, right? How did he hit the guy if he didn't know what he was shooting at?

I'm making no determination without any of the facts, but it sure seems some of the speculation just doesn't make sense.
Looks to me like the officer did fire blindly in the direction of the gun fire and scored a (lucky?) hIt.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I see what you're saying here and it does make sense. I can't say for sure because I just don't know. Seems we're short of information provided here. But my guess is that @rcopu1 is probably right.

I definitely agree with what seems to be the general consensus here, that shooting into the air is pretty stupid at best. I'd also add that imo shooting through a barrier without properly being able to see what you're shooting at is even more stupid!

What I mean is, if you shoot a bullet into the air, it will come down, but the odds of hitting anything of value are slim and the odds of actually killing someone are tiny. (Not that I'm saying you should play those odds. There's nothing to gain and too much to lose.) But firing through a fence into a group of people, even a small group, it's very likely that you're going to hit someone. Maybe even kill them. Case in point...
This officer may have been blessed to hit the "right" person, but it'll be a second blessing too if he doesn't suffer prison time and/or loose everything in a civil suit for this.

From what I can tell, it looks like they both were at fault. Like someone said on the first page, diagnosis; terminal stupidity. But since the cop is a cop and the dead guy is always the victim in America today, we can guess who may have a finger pointed in his direction.

I'm not pro or anti cop.
That's too general and vague.
I'm very pro Good cops who try to do right and feel a conviction for truth. If they're trying to do their job with honor, help the people in their jurisdiction and uphold the Constitution, then I wish nothing but the best for them. I pray for the emergency workers in my area every time I hear a siren.

I'm anti dirty cops. If they're taking advantage of their rank and status, or abusive to the people in their jurisdiction, I have NOTHING for them.

I believe a good cop is about as great a guy as you can ask for. We probably could use a few more of those. A dirty cop is traitor and should be hung as such. Who's who should be decided on a case by case basis. Innocent until proven guilty. Badge cams are an amazing thing.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Shooting through an obstacle (the fence) without identifying the threat/target. IMO, this is the salient point. I do not believe the officer can reasonably state he was in fear of his life if he could not positively identify the threat.
Although you are correct in some cases, it's not just whether he can positively identify the threat or say he was in fear of his life either, it's a duty to not negligently hit other people who aren't a threat. A couple of real life examples from when I was involved in LE where there was definitely a threat. They weren't incidents that I was personally involved in, just incidents other cops that I knew were involved in. A guy is firing a gun out a window of a building occasionally, and there are innocent people, including juveniles, somewhere in the building. If all the cops wanted to do was merely eliminate the obvious threat, just fire a lot of rifle rounds at the well around the window and hope to hit the guy. Same situation except guy has a female juvenile hostage in a car. No one initially had a rifle or was close enough to the car to take out the suspect without risking hitting the hostage. You want to eliminate the threat, just pull a Bonnie and Clyde scenario on him. (spraying the car with machine gun fire) :rolleyes: Thankfully the cops back then showed some restraint and the hostages survived.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

When I looked at the pics of the fence it didn't look like a large fence and there were multiple bullet holes in it. You fire enough rounds you ought to be able to hit someone behind a fence or wall, if they're standing up. Concealment is not cover.

Here's a Hollywood example of this principle. (go to 3:35 for the example)

·
23,582 Posts
When multiple people have demonstrated considerable lapses in judgement, I question the value of trying to determine who is wronger. Especially from one video. Especially since I haven't watched the video. I just like the typey noises the keyboard makes. typey typey typey typey off for another espresso.

·
Premium Member
6,434 Posts
When multiple people have demonstrated considerable lapses in judgement, I question the value of trying to determine who is wronger. Especially from one video. Especially since I haven't watched the video. I just like the typey noises the keyboard makes. typey typey typey typey off for another espresso.
Considering you're slamming down espresso, I'd expect those typey noises to be a lot quicker than they were!

·
Premium Member
11,320 Posts
I saw an interesting meme today. It went something along the lines; If a cop gets killed in the performance of his job, some people react with; "He should have known the job was dangerous when he took it." By the same token, couldn't you also say that when a thief, killer, or just a neighborhood dumbass, gets shot, shouldn't they have known that "job" was also dangerous.

When people start taking accountability for their own actions, things in our society will definitely start to settle down.

·
Registered
20,615 Posts
The guy was shootin' in the air, maybe he got hit by one of his own?

·
Registered
20,615 Posts
It could've been an alien drive-by in retaliation for his hitting one of their craft. You have any idea how much it costs to have Spacelight come all the way to Earth to fix a shot-out windshield?! :whistle:..."Spacelight repair, Spacelight replace..."

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I saw an interesting meme today. It went something along the lines; If a cop gets killed in the performance of his job, some people react with; "He should have known the job was dangerous when he took it." By the same token, couldn't you also say that when a thief, killer, or just a neighborhood dumbass, gets shot, shouldn't they have known that "job" was also dangerous.

When people start taking accountability for their own actions, things in our society will definitely start to settle down.
Your last paragraph says it all. It fits EVERY situation a person could get into.

·
Registered
15,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

If you watch the video, it is quite obvious from the muzzle blast going skyward exactly where the shooter was.

The officer fired more rounds than he made hits with indicating he was shooting in the general direction of where the gun blast would indicate the shooter to be.

It was quite obvious too that the gun was being fired skyward and not towards anyone. Stupid? Yes. Against the law? Yes.

Should the guy have been shot for being stupid? No.

·
Registered
17 Posts
New Years eve in the Los Angeles area brought idiots out of their homes to shoot firearms up in the air. It was so bad cops were brought in from the field to dodge the bullets raining down. With the huge Latino Population, it seemed to be what they liked to do to celebrate. You could hear the bullets raining down and strike an occasional car. You had to understand it was most likely coming from some drunken idiot who didn't know any better and treat it as such. I do feel sorry for the officer if it was a case of poor judgement.

I wish they would quit the "father of five" talk when airing these items. Most likely it is a sperm donor who has never acted like a father in his life. They are most likely placing sainthood on some career criminal.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

Hey, hey, what'r you tryin' to do, put trial lawyers out of business? :rolleyes:

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,720 Posts
Reactions: CaptainMorgan
21 - 40 of 58 Posts