Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving in a Detroit suburn (Farmington Hills) Michigan. As I pull up to a red light, I notice that two people are out of their cars discussing something. I figure its a fender bender or something. I judge that I can not pass on the right and make a right turn because there are 4 cars in my direction at the intersection. So I pull to the left to see whats happening, and I can turn left and take another route if this is going to take to much time.

I watch for about 5 seconds, and the guy in the head car ( a black sedan) ducks down and comes up real fast pointing a pistol at the other guy (white Pickup). Dead center mass. Great isosceles stance with a good lean forward. In my mind, the guy in the pickup could not have attacked the gun holder, because he is behind his door which is open.

Problem is (for me), if the shot is a through and through or slightly misses, or a double tap without getting the second shot down on target, I'm directly in line. I'm the backstop bullets will hit my truck or me. I definitely in fear of my life (at least in my mind). I am armed. If I hadn't pulled to the left to see what was happening, I would have been in much less danger, because there were two cars between me and the white pickup.

Surprisingly the guy in the pickup keeps arguing for about 10 seconds. I decide that while I am justified in pulling my pistol, they are too far away for me to have any confidence that I will not miss. People all over, and I would probably just kill some innocent person. So I leave my firearm holstered and call 911.

Then they both get into their cars, the guy in the pickup turn right, and the black sedan (gun brandisher) goes straight. I follow keeping the two cars in front of me. Even when it turns to 4 lanes, I stay behind the two cars between me and the gun branisher. Just don't want to get that close. Don't want him to know I’m following and calling 911.

On 911, first I get disconnected from 911, call again. My intention is to state where I am, what happened, and where the black sedan is headed. Three sentences precise to the point. 10-15 seconds.

First the operator gets mad at me because she is with Livonia and I am in Farmington Hills. I finally get her attention that there is a gun involved, so she drops that, but continues to interrupt. Long story short, it take minutes to get 15 seconds of information to her cause she keeps interrupting.

Meanwhile, at the border to Livonia (8mile rd), the light turns on me and I have a red light, so I stop for it. I'm not willing to run a red light, nor do I want to draw attention to myself. I continue after the light turns, but never see the sedan again.

All in all, I give myself high marks because,
1 – no shots were fired
2 – nobody was hurt
3 – I'm not in jail and I don't need a lawyer

I am pissed this guy got away.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Detroit......nuff said.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I think I would starve to death before I would ever set a foot in Detroit again. I have driven through there on the Ford-Edsal Expressway six times, but that was many years ago. The same holds true for Chicago. Minneapolis and St. Paul is getting just as bad!

I guess I will regulate myself to sticking around out in the boondocks.

·
Super Moderator
40,644 Posts
Glad there was no gun play. Even if there was I don't think I would have drawn mine unless I turned into the intended target. If I was the back stop I would have got out of there as quick as I could. Seems to me calling 911 is getting to be a bigger pain then good. Last time I called it from a cell phone I was connected to an operator in the county 65 miles north of me. That was a waste of time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
wtf1984, you did good. Wasn't a perfect ending, but a good one. It was the right time to end it.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Ya done good. It's unfortunate, but lately I hear more incidences of less than professional 911 operators. Most of 'em are good, just seem to be more bad apples than usual.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Only NASCAR goes left....!

However, I'm shocked that no shots were fired. Listening to the news, Detroit and Chicago gun play, birds won't even go there for fear of random gun fire.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Livonia. Ugh.

Detroit. More ugh.

Lived and worked in MI for close to 6 years (6 months in Livonia).

Glad I relocated to MN. It might be cold, but it's much better for my peace of mind. :p

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Let's see...your impatient, you try and get around some cars, you see some stuff happening and you want to check it out! Seems like you put yourself into a situation you would probably not been involved if you simply stayed where you were. Old adage, I wasn't looking for trouble but trouble found me or curiosity killed the cat.

Regarding the 911 operator...you have more patience than me. She is probably Forest Gump's cousin.

You got home okay so that worked out for you, oh yeah, is it possible that the guy that pulled the gun was verbally threatened and he might have had cause to pull?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I'm sure I would make a better witness than a defendant. Hind sight some small mistakes to get you in situation. Some good decisions and judgment to stay a witness.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I'd be pissed to; you try to do the right thing and those who's job it is to respond screw it up. System is broken.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Two thoughts.
Since you were carrying, don't get involved. You could lose your gun due to BS rules and stupid situations.
Once the operator started her BS state "Since you don't sound interested in a gun being pulled in public. Never mind.". Then hang up. Let the operator catch heck. Let the police come back to you for more information. And if they ask, no you didn't have you gun with you that day.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You may actually not be justified in that situation. See Michigan has this thing where if you use deadly force to stop an altercation and the one who looked like they needed help is actually the bad guy you can catch a case for it. Do you know what made that person pull their gun? Do you know what the situation was exactly? If you answered no to any of those questions then your best bet is to just get the h out of Dodge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts