Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you think. Should a person be arrested and sent to prison for his yard? It is his property and been there for over 20 years?

Yeah, a bit of an eyesore but isn't it his property to do with what he wants? Should a grandfather clause be in effect here?

Is the government overstepping here or is this guy in the wrong? Please share your thoughts.

Man Gets Prison Time For Junky Yard - Yahoo! News

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well. I think that junky yards can be a public hazard as well as an eyesore. Personally, I would try to work via fines before incarceration. However, he did receive a lot of warning before the state took this step....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Cannot get video to play.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hey if you live in the woods its one thing. However if you live in a residential area I know I don't want to see that crap all over the place. I keep my area tight, and I expect you to do the same.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Looks like the place is surrounded with a chain link fence.
If he covered the fence so you could not see in, maybe he would not have got in trouble.
Many cities have ordinances about junk yards.
Even out here in the country area the local junk yards are fenced with opaque fencing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That's why I live in the country. I can have my '62 Biscayne up on blocks, check the mail in my underwear, and shoot whenever I want. (No Biscayne or drawers, but the squirrels don't give me any trouble).

Reactions: CompOSS9mm

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
This looks like a peeing contest that has gotten out of hand. In order for a disagreement to be worked out successfully, the solution needs to be a winner for everyone concerned. By the looks of this no one is winning, everybody loses. Dumb behavior on every ones part. Once this guy gets out of jail there will still be a mess and there still will be no viable solution. There is a lot of open land around Cocoa Beach, Florida. I'm willing to bet that somewhere in that county the county has an abandoned rural property that it owns with a tax lien on it. Instead of spending mega bucks to keep trying, convicting, and incarcerating this guy why not just deed him a rural property and let him move his "collection" out there? Then he can pay the taxes on the property each year, the neighbors in town will get the eye sore out of their neighborhood, and the government can avoid the expense of continued lengthy law suits.

Reactions: bjdbw

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I do like to keep my property looking nice. That said I firmly believe that as long as no one is hurt physically and no rights have been violated people should be able to do what they please with the property they own.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
Junky places take the value down in a neighborhood and can be a health hazard. folks who want to live like that should live in similar neighborhoods, whether in town or the country.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
deleted.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Finally saw the video.

I am torn, I would side with the town if he moved into town knowing the modern zoning laws and created this.
If what happened was he was on the outskirts of town, rural, and urban sprawl encroached on him then I say too bad for those who moved around him, he should be grandfathered.

No I would not want to live next door to that, but I would not have bought land near him, knowing what was there, and then try to sue him into meeting my standards.

BigSkiff's solution seems the most fair for everyone.

·
17,585 Posts
Sure, he was given more than enough time, and opportunities, to resolve the issue and refused to comply. At some point they have to enforce it, or they can't enforce it anywhere. Almost every piece of property in developed areas has some sort of use restrictions like zoning laws, or deed restrictions. If he wants to run a junkyard he should find an appropriate and properly zoned commercial site and acquire the proper licenses just like every other business.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the opinions. Thank You. I have some property 1/2 mile or more to the closest neighbor and 11 miles to any town. AND near the end of a dead end street. I call that rural. Even there, The State, county and local townships all have restrictions on what a person can and can not do. Building codes zoning laws and a plethera of other rules. Personally, I think that is a bit over the top.

The guy in the story has lived there and carried on the same way for over 20 years. Personally, I think he is in the right.

Guess it is to late. Can't fight the government at any level.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There are a few junky places around here. That's ok - makes my place look good, keeps the yuppies out and the taxes low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts