Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i make my 24/7 pro shine the slide? What products can i use.....what steps i am sure there are articles out in the net teaching this....but since this is my first gun is there anyone kind enough to point me in the right direction I'm Sure its Possible...

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
The Satin Finish on the slide is meant to be non-reflective! Give it a coat of protective oil and let it be!

In my opinion, polishing it would ruin it's business-like appearance! :eek: :bang:

Sir........Step away from the gun......and you won't get hurt!

(Just Kidding on that last point! LOL)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually out of all the people i asked most of them actually a great percentage of them said exactly what you did.

It is meant to be like that and i will keep it like that. Thank you for replying.

Also how can i protect the coat? so it wont look ugly later down the road?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Sometimes it's just as simple as a silicone embedded cloth.... ;)

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
A coating of most any good penetrating oil will work.

CLP, Birchwood Casey Sheath, and others, are commercial Gun Preservatives that will work.

Lately, I've been experimenting with plain Mineral Oil with good results, so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a kit, its called hoppes 9 will that work? I barely got my 24/7 a week ago and i cleaned it with Smith And Wesson Premium Lubricant & Protectant....

Which is better from the 2 i have....?

The hoppes kit has a Lubricating oil is that what i should be putting on my slide?

sorry i am new at this and been trying to learn as much as i can, i cleaned my gun, once i bought it before taking it the range like i hear you have to do....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Let it shine...........

If you really want to make it shine then get a dremel tool and some jeweler's polish. I personally think its a matter of preference and its your gun and whatever makes you happy then you should do. If you have a stainless slide then you can high polish the two sides to a mirror finish and leave the top and rear as a matt finish.........this will prevent any glare if you were to use your weapond in a lot of light. I also think the sides look cool when mirror polished. I personally have done this to my Para Ordanance Stainless and I love the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply....Got any pics of the Para i would like to see how it came out if its not to much trouble....

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
Polish it and you will void your finish warranty with Taurus. You may also ruin any resale value it has, at least in my eyes! :mad: ::) :bang:

There are certain guns that can be appreciated when they are nicely polished, simply because they came that way from the Factory! Older Colts, Lugers, Walthers, S&W's, Older Mauser and Winchester Sporters, and others, nicely polished, will be collectable and appreciate. The 24/7 is not one of them! The 24/7 is a modern matte finished Combat Pistol and that is what the market expects it to be! The Market determines pretty much what is valuable and what isn't! Another downside is that a polished finish won't hold protectant as well as a matte satin finish will.

Don't come cryin, if and when, you decide to trade that polished 24/7 in for something else and the GunShop will only give you a pittance for it! I won't be hearing it! :mad:

As kashdaddy has pointed out, It's your gun and you can customize it as you wish, but you've been warned as to the pitfalls of doing so!
:soapbox:

As for a protectant oil, the S&W Lubricant and Protectant should work very well as a protectant. Hoppes Gun Oil is only repackaged Mineral Oil, and should serve very well as a Lubricant, but there are also other Oils that serve well. I would use the Hoppes #9 in your kit to clean your Pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts