Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://makarov.com/

May 7th, 2008 - Makarov.com is sorry to announce that we will be closing our "Doors" for good. We have been on the Internet for 16 years now, from humble beginnings in a Townhouse Basement, to a Full service Retail Store and Gunshop, and back to Mail Order only again. We would like to say now, a big Thank You to our loyal customers that have been with us from the beginning, and to all of the new customers who have joined the Ranks of the Makarovniks over the years.

We will continue to sell our remaining inventory online, for as long as stock remains. On Friday May 9th at about 4pm EST, we will take our Shopping cart system Off Line for 10 days. This will allow us to do a final Inventory and count, and list all remaining items on the website. On Monday Morning, 9am EST, May 19th we will re-activate the Online Shopping cart system, as well as begin a Flat Rate 40% off sale on all remaining inventory. Once an item sells out, it will be taken off the website. We will NOT be restocking any items.

We are also entertaining offers on purchase of either the Business Inventory, or the Business as a whole. Serious inquiries can call 304-776-2121 Mon-Fri 9am to 4pm EST.

Unless the business is sold as a whole, once the current inventory of Makarov.com propriety items is gone, they will not be available again. We will not license these for production unless they are purchased as part of the complete business. These include, Barrel Presses, Machined Firing Pins, CZ52 Slide releases, Sight Dot Kits, Sight Strip Kits, Aftermarket barrels, etc.

We reserve the right to cancel any and all Internet orders at any time if we have a contract on the Business or Inventory. Any Orders received prior to 4pm on May 9th will be filled and shipped as normal. All pending back orders are hereby cancelled, we will not be accepting any back orders from this day forward.

All current products and projects in development are suspended.

Thanks once again for all your support, Past, Present and Future.
Karl and George

I know that there are several members here with makarov's so I felt I should help get the word out. I just put an order in for some spare parts (not that I think I'll need them but I don't want to have to hunt for them years down the road).

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well i dont have a makarov, but im sorry to hear this is shutting down sounds like it was a real resource for makarov owners.

i seen a lot of them for good prices.. and i've heard they're great guns.
but the 9x18 was a real put off.. it's not easy to find (well at least i have'nt seen many places locally with any) now if it was .380 or 9mm i'd surely have bought one.

·
Administrator
40,179 Posts
I was just wondering too about the availability of the ammo. I know a guy that has a Mak, that he thinks it is defective because it won't function with .380. I think I might get it cheap. Yeah, that's dishonest, but he's fed up and dosen't know what to do with it. I might tell him the truth and make an offer. :???:

·
32,661 Posts
www.aimsurplus.com www.cheaperthandirt.com

www.jgsales.com and other online places regularly have 9x18 ammo. Wolf, SilverBear,BrownBear, and Barnual all make that stuff.

There are kits or barrel swap outfits that can be had in Shotgun News, Gun Digest, or one of the other weekly gun advert papers. Same goes for the ammo in either designation.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some were made in 380 and if you have the right tools (barrel press being one of them) it isn't that difficult.

You can find 9x18 ammo at some local gun shops and chain stores but like QD mentioned, I get mine online.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If you want American made ammunition in 9x18 then Federal produces their American Eagle brand in that caliber also.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CCI also makes FMJ in their Blazer aluminum line. Winchester might still do occasional runs of 9x18 as well. And Hornady has an XTP defense load for longer than I've had my mak (its my carry load for when I carry mine). Plus Corbon currently makes a Powerball in 9x18.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
35,533 Posts
I don't know much about Makarov - at all. But gun companies going under is just awful - and you have to hope it's not a sign of things to come. With all the safety regulations, lawsuits, and competition, it's hard for alot of companies to eke out profits. Gun companies going away is BAD for all of us.

Support your local gun shops and ranges. Buy ammo, and use it frequently. Do your part to keep them in business - because when they go out of business, a piece of Americana goes away, forever. You'll say "remember when we had small gun shops we could buy guns at?"......

·
32,661 Posts
While Makarov.com provided parts,service, and good info there's another reason they might be folding.

The www.gunboards.com with which they are allied with sells pretty much the same stuff. At least the advertisers, of which are a goodly number, are in direct conflict with Makarov.com. Hard to compete against other suppliers who can out price or provide the same services and goods as Makarov.com did.

Of course the regulations at every turn from the various goverment agencies,local and Federal,just make things more difficult to operate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The supply of surplus 9X18 ammo is more plentiful thasn in previous years and as stated above there are also commercial offerings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My little East German Makarov is an excellent shooter. It's built on captured designs from Walther at the end of WW II by the Russians and was or is also by manufactured by a number of Eastern European Nations from behind the Iron Curtian including Red China in Asia. It's a copy of Walthers PPK which was made famous in the 007 James Bond Movies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've seen some of those at gun shows for about $150. Come to think of it, there is a show comming next week... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts