Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch Guru, has an article in American Handgunner Personal Defense 2008 Special Edition Annual where he recommends a short list of self defense weapons. This is an instructor who has fired (and seen students fire) many, many brands and models of guns. In the 1911 category he recommends Les Baer, Wilson Combat, and the Taurus PT1911. That is pretty good company. He personally owns a Taurus PT1911.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
could u post the rest of his list for us ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clint Smith is very opinionated but draws from vast experience. In handguns, he first names the Springfield Armory XD (polymer-framed, striker-fired), which I find interesting since Thunder Ranch used to be all about the 1911. I have to agree that the XD is excellent, but Jeff Cooper must be rolling over in his grave. Then he names the Glock, as long as it isn't a compact version. It seems that many students don't shoot as well with compact Glocks. Then in the 1911 category he names the Les Baer, followed by Wilson Combat, followed by the Taurus PT1911 (which he personally owns). He then recommends shotguns (the Remington pump action 870 is listed first).

Surprisingly he says that civilians who buy AR's are cop/army wanna be's, knowing that will upset some people. I told you he is opinionated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Good to hear he included Pt1911 in his list, but as for the rest of his list; I've got my own opinions and I'm sticking with 'em ;)

Surprisingly he says that civilians who buy AR's are cop/army wanna be's, knowing that will upset some people.
Aren't cops civilians too? Same as fire fighters and paramedics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Good to hear he included Pt1911 in his list, but as for the rest of his list; I've got my own opinions and I'm sticking with 'em ;)
Aren't cops civilians too? Same as fire fighters and paramedics...
I think he is including the groups of people who work for the Department of Defense, the state, and their city in a official capacity.

Civilians being the ones we protect and our aid in times of crisis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
WildRice said:
Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch Guru, has an article in American Handgunner Personal Defense 2008 Special Edition Annual where he recommends a short list of self defense weapons. This is an instructor who has fired (and seen students fire) many, many brands and models of guns. In the 1911 category he recommends Les Baer, Wilson Combat, and the Taurus PT1911. That is pretty good company. He personally owns a Taurus PT1911.
Is this magazine available on the newsstand?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,942 Posts
Hawk said:
I think he is including the groups of people who work for the Department of Defense, the state, and their city in a official capacity.

Civilians being the ones we protect and our aid in times of crisis.
Hawk if your LEO you have my greatist respect but in a crisis its me,myself and I who protect me and my family I've had to call the police several time's and if it weren't not for my skills and weapons I'd be dead dead dead and so would of my disabled wife and handicaped daughter. WHEN SECONDS COUNT THE POLICE ARE MINUTES AWAY. I am the son of a great detective now retired he also ran the police academy when I was in town I had the privilige to sit in on classes. by the way I own the pt1911 and the XD-9 which is my go to gun its next to my bed and in a holster with a spare mag thats 16 spare and 17 in the gun that should hold off anyone till I open my safe and we never talk about opening the safe LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
WildRice:Thank you for the tip on the magazine.

45 forever: I am not a LEO. I was just trying to help members understand Clint Smith's article.

I totally understand your point on family. Family comes first, learned that from one of my Sergeants in the Army.
God bless his soul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Interesting news. I'm already sold on my PT1911...nice to know others hold it in high regard too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Glade to hear he recommends the pt1911. I carry mine cc and have faith in it. I have put over 1000 round through it with no problems.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top