Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My taurus PT1911 seems to have suddenly developed light primer strikes. It ahs not been shot for a couple months and last range trip ihad a high % of failures on Remington FMJ, very light dimpling, and a few on Federal with most normal but some light dimples. Never had this issue before with the gun. everything on the gun is stock. I have torn down the upper and the firing pin and spring are clean. The "pencil test " seems normal . Next I was going to examine the main spring. can I drive out the pin and remove the main spring housing without touching the hammer and sear and such?

·
8,689 Posts
You can remove the housing , but the leaf spring (trigger,disconnector/safety leaf spring ) will likely fall out. Not a big deal to reinstall, just find a youtube video. I am not too sure the mainspring is the culprit, but try anyway.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can remove the housing , but the leaf spring (trigger,disconnector/safety leaf spring ) will likely fall out. Not a big deal to reinstall, just find a youtube video. I am not too sure the mainspring is the culprit, but try anyway.
Suggestions? I can't think of anything else to look at other than a mainspring issue

·
Super Moderator
36,488 Posts
It's odd because if the FP is striking the pencil eraser hard enough to eject the pencil it seems it should be hitting the primer hard enough also. Hard primers are a guess or a FP that is worn enough to not have enough reach into the primer.

When I installed my S & A magwell/mainspring the guts fell out and it was a YouTube expedition to learn how to reassemble it. I seem to remember a trick with a rubber band around the grip safety, but it's so many years ago I've forgotten why or if it works.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The Mainspring Taurus uses is light but as mentioned it passed the pencil test so I doubt it is the mainspring.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, measuring parts against the Kuhnhauser manual and IT states series 80 firing pins are 2.262 to 2.265". My PT1911 series 80 alloy frame firing pin measures 2.246"!? Is this another taurus variation?
More importantly it appears there was a collapsed plunger spring behind the series 80 firing pin lock plunger. i'd say this may have allowed the plunger to drag on the firing pin, sometimes more, sometimes less. thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts