Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys , anyone having any luck with mail order powder , I am looking for unique , 700x & 2400 ??any hints , many thanks, rojo

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I've had no trouble finding Primers at most stores, especially Academy.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,957 Posts
Powder Valley, is my preferred supplier, presently primers no powder. No one has powder, you can find it a pound or two at a time on line and in person, it doesn't pay the haz-mat fee to order. You might try gunbot.com but again quantity is the problem. I pick it up where I find it.

Good luck

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I've had no trouble finding Primers at most stores, especially Academy.
Yep - primers are everywhere here and consistantly available. Powder pops up locally or on-line and the demand is still high so it disappears quickly. If you see it - buy it. Get it in a cart on line and head for a check out cc at the ready.

I dont know know sources for the three you lost (Unique is particularly popular!).

I did notice that Brownells has Accurate 5744 in stock in 1 & 8 lb jugs. Anyone looking for that one (I use it but have a good supply) here's a link: http://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder/rifle-powder/accurate-5744-powders-prod39487.aspx

·
Administrator
35,312 Posts
It's raining primers at Cabelas, same thing at Bass Pro. Not so much on handgun powder though. Good luck finding some.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
More in stock powders but following the trend - all rifle. Power Pro Varmint is a nice 223 powder, my current go-to FWIW:

Alliant 4000, power pro varmint
Hodgdon BLC2, CFE rifle, 322, 380, 100v, Retumbo, US869
IMR, 7 powders in stock
Win, nothing

All are available here: Gamaliel Shooting Supply : Powder

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys , just curious , what are you paying for primer per 1000 and which make ??
many thanks,

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
hi guys , just curious , what are you paying for primer per 1000 and which make ??
many thanks,
Prices are ranging from $38 to $54 per 1000 locally, mostly CCI. The highest are the CCI 41 primers for reloading 5.56/.223 due to their harder cups.

We have a lot of rifle and shotgun powder around here. The list is too long to include here. There was some pistol powder but it went fast, mostly Tite Group and Unique.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
many thanks,
Locally primers are about 40 bucks per K, now both Powder Valley and Bullets.com have them much cheaper, Powder valley is about 25 bucks for CCI, that's the only primer that I use. NO pistol powder much of anywhere, locally or online.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,957 Posts
CCI primers $25 - $35/K, when I find them and I buy what the bank will support. Picked up 2# of Bulls Eye a week ago for $20/#, didn't buy it all, low bank.

The wife really does not like getting pistol powder for Christmas :D

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Prices are ranging from $38 to $54 per 1000 locally, mostly CCI. The highest are the CCI 41 primers for reloading 5.56/.223 due to their harder cups.

We have a lot of rifle and shotgun powder around here. The list is too long to include here. There was some pistol powder but it went fast, mostly Tite Group and Unique.
Yes - pistol is much harder to find than rifle but pistol and shotgun have a LOT of crossover - what shotgun powders are you looking at?!?!

StL has primers at many locations at about $32 per 1000 +- plus tax, btw.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
howdy, 2400 , 700X & Unique, will start emailing around this weekend , perhaps I will get luckie

also require primers , a sorry state or affairs , hope the zombies do not rise

·
22,021 Posts
It seems primers have recovered and are easy to find.

Powder on the other hand is still tough to find in volume at least for me.
I like Hodgens Universal and Tight Group.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Yes - pistol is much harder to find than rifle but pistol and shotgun have a LOT of crossover - what shotgun powders are you looking at?!?!

StL has primers at many locations at about $32 per 1000 +- plus tax, btw.
Let me check. I don't load for a shotgun, so I'll have to make a list tomorrow morning. The one store I go to had a lot of Universal at one time, now they have a lot of rifle powder (stuff Reloader 10X, 4350, H335, H322, 3031, 4895, etc.)

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My LGS is well stocked and keeps his prices reasonable so I have no need to buy over the interweb....

Reactions: mingaa

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
Primers here run in the low $30's, just about anything you want: Winchester, Federal, CCI, Remington. In the past year I've run into 700X and 800X, and it seems one of the slower Magnum powders is usually on the shelf, mostly W296.

I guess it was easier for the primer manufacturers to increase production than the powder manufacturers. I've read various articles that detailed the difficulties and business risks of building new capacity to produce powder. That, combined with a fire that damaged an Alliant facility and put it off-line, makes it difficult to meet the increase in demand. It would seem that the powder shortage is holding back primer sales. They kind of go hand-in-hand.

The excuse that ammo manufacturers are sucking up all the powder has been disputed. The canister powders that reloaders use is manufactured to hold a high degree of consistency, and because of this it's more expensive to manufacture. The bulk powder that ammo manufacturers use has more variability, but since they buy large lots and extensively test each batch and can adjust they prefer saving the money on the lower production costs associated with being able to accept small variations. It's been stated the canister powders are manufactured in separate facilities from the bulk powder. So the two are not related.

Indeed, the ammo manufacturers order powder custom made to their specifications. It's not necessarily even the same as any canister powder.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts