Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Magtech ammo? As of yesterday, that's all I had in FMJ (PMC Bronze on the way) to use at the range and I was surprised at how dirty my wife's Taurus 85 was, mainly the cylinder, mainly on the forward outside edges. I've used quite a few different brands in my 9mm Kahr but not Magtech. However, her gun cleaned up well.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
In my experience....MagTech is on par with American ammunition manufacturers when it comes to quality control.
And their prices tend to be a bit lower as well.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Never used it they just don't sell or carry Magtech in my area I would use it in a heart beat though especially if it is target stuff.

·
Registered
37,050 Posts
Best that I can remember I have used mag tech in 32 S & W, 357 magnum, and 38 Super.
the 38 super i shot 500 rounds of it, mostly wanted the brass which is nickle plated in that round, it was no better or worse than any other ammunition in this caliber, same for the 357 magnum.
Now the 32 S & W was pretty dirty, but then again its an extremely low pressure round and lead projectile so i would expect it to a tad dirty.
The brass has held up well and the ammo was accurate, met my needs.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Magtech = good stuff!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear it. Since my wife's 85SS is my first experience with a wheelgun, I suppose I'm not accustomed to the residue patterns compared to my CW9. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I've been using Magtech® ammunition in 38 Special & 357 Magnum since 1996. It is good stuff; accurate & reasonably priced.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is there a factory load that isn't somewhat dirty? I really don't worry too much about dirty factory rounds. I fully clean my pistol after every shooting session. Since the 'shortage of ammo' thing began, I've had to use many different factory rounds and mostly 115gr. I had my 'first ever' FTF using Hornaday Steel Match. Just from my own limited experience. Fiocchi would be my first choice, if I could find it anywhere. PMC seems to be plentiful around here. What is rare is 124gr anything which I feel is the better load for my PT. I don't own a wheel gun.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've never fired any Magtech factory loads but I have used a lot of their reloading components, cases in several hand gun calibers, bullets and many thousands of primers. Good stuff!!!!

·
Administrator
40,549 Posts
I've used a lot of it, mostly in .45 Colt. That's how I acquired my brass for the caliber. It's great ammo in my opinion, and of course the brass is excellent for reloading!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've used Magtech in various chamberings i.e 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W and never have had any issues with it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
No problem here either. I've shot a bunch in .45 acp and .380 with no failures to fire or feed. Probably the cleanest so far has been Blazer Brass that I've shot.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I've used MagTech in .38 Special and .357 Magnum and it is good target ammunition. It is reasonably
priced and I have never had any problems with it.

·
Super Moderator
20,080 Posts
I've got a gun safe bulging at the seams with MagTech in 40S&W and a good bit of 380ACP.. I've only shot it a few times in 45ACP but seems reliable. It feeds well and cleans up well (as you indicate). It almost seems underappreciated but in large supply in my area . . . .

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Only experience I had with Magtech ammo is in .357 mag. and they worked just fine. I could not tell you they were cleaner or dirtier then others because I never really notice. If a gun is not dirty when it comes home from the range, I did not shoot it enough. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts